Z06 or Grand Sport Supercharged? [Archive] - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

: Z06 or Grand Sport Supercharged?

Pages : [1] 2

Drakarula
07-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Ok guys want your opinions on this one. The Z06 we all know is a fantastic car however the grand sport has many new features that bring it much closer than any corvette in the past to the Z06. Having the option of a removable roof to many is something they have always wanted ( except those that blew off at highway speeds :WTF ) and a drop top is something many people would want as well. You can probably get the same power or more with a supercharged grand sport.

Lets here it.:huh:

midnite902
07-20-2009, 04:30 PM
What do you want to use it for?? The Z06 has other advantages over the GS than power.

:cheers:

Drakarula
07-20-2009, 04:32 PM
What do you want to use it for?? The Z06 has other advantages over the GS than power.

I am assuming for street use only. What other advantages would the Z06 have that you can't get with a supercharged grand sport with the sun on your face?

midnite902
07-20-2009, 04:38 PM
I am assuming for street use only. What other advantages would the Z06 have that you can't get with a supercharged grand sport with the sun on your face?
:rolling:
Sun in your face won't give you; the better cooling (Oil and Water) of the Z, more Oil Capacity of the Z. The stiffer Aluminum frame, rear mounted battery and other smaller differences.

If it is only going to be a street car these may not be important to you but on the track the differences could be significant.

If the Z06 would have come out in 2005 I would have started with the Z06 platform.

WISKY (LS7)
07-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Anyone really know how much stiffer the Z06 chassi is to the C6?

I don't think there is really a world of difference like people think.

with my opinion, get the car that will wear well over the years and will have the stock warantee. It comes down to how you drive your car. goodl luck:partyon:

Chris Draper
07-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Id go for the Z06. It's an overall better package for probably less money.

SCRex0472
07-20-2009, 06:01 PM

I don't think there is really a world of difference like people think.:partyon:136 pounds difference in frame weight...not to mention the other weight savings in the Z06. It has already been said in this thread, but it depends on how you want to use the car. If you track it get the Z. You can supercharge the Z also, keep that in mind. If you want a convertible, get the Vert.

new2006Zo6
07-20-2009, 11:36 PM
For my money get the Zo6 You can supercharge with a vortec charger in stock form boost at 6 psi and not hurt the Ls7 at all. And get 635 hp with out doing anything to the Ls7.:partyon:

Drakarula
07-21-2009, 10:40 PM
For my money get the Zo6 You can supercharge with a vortec charger in stock form boost at 6 psi and not hurt the Ls7 at all. And get 635 hp with out doing anything to the Ls7.:partyon:

if you can supercharge the z06 with no worries to the ls7 why didn't they just do that in the ZR1?

SCRex0472
07-21-2009, 11:17 PM
if you can supercharge the z06 with no worries to the ls7 why didn't they just do that in the ZR1?...too much horsepower to put down effectively. The supercharged 6.2 puts down just over 100 hp per liter while that would have meant over 700 hp with the LS7. Without a total redesign of the car that would have nearly impossible to effectively put to the rear wheels. Anyway, thats the gist of what I remember from what I've read? I also think that the 6.2 liter motor will be used in ALMS next season...not so sure about that though.

FReaKyJeRoeN
07-22-2009, 04:59 AM
If I had the money, I would buy both... But since I have no money, I'll buy neither of them:nuts: .

If I had the money to buy only one, I'd go with the GS (droptop!!:partyon: ) and supercharge it. Not that I need so much power anyway, as the car will run away from me in seconds, but it sounds cool to say "I have a supercharged Corvette". That's why I wouldn't buy the Z06. Though it has even more go-fast features than the GS, I'm not able to use only half of the cars potential...

JBsZ0666
07-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Grand sport coupe with M6 and if need be ?I'd look to mount a s/c down the road..

Maybe this new Techno package...?

After having had the option of removing the roof with my measely 436hp 2008 coupe? I would not give it up for saving 136lbs of a more flexible aluminum chassis...

I do prefer the look of the wide body fenders, the dry sump oiling system, but since they are all part of the grand sport option?

For 5 or 6 grand more than a base coupe? the grand sports a smokin deal..

I think its 15 grand less than a new z06?

Don't get me wrong the z06 is a smokin deal..awesome car...but if it were my coin? I'd go for the grand sport..

But don't worry....sooner rather than later...that LSA 556hp s/c motor will replace the 7 liter 505 hp n/a motor in the Z06
(from the factory) IMO

Phantom01
07-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Of what I understand the 6 speed manual Grand Sport will have the same dry slump oil and rear mounted battery as the Z06

redmen031
07-22-2009, 08:24 AM
Grand Sport fo sho

iburke
07-22-2009, 08:33 AM

I don't think there is really a world of difference like people think.

with my opinion, get the car that will wear well over the years and will have the stock warantee. It comes down to how you drive your car. goodl luck:partyon:

Trust me I have driven both Z06 and C6 on and off the track (road course, auto-x, 1/4 mile, and street). And yes there is a world of difference in the 2 cars.

It's lighter, stiffer, more rubber, bigger brakes, more power, different power curve, different gears. And on and on, and on.

They do have the same radio.

BUZZO6
07-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Trust me I have driven both Z06 and C6 on and off the track (road course, auto-x, 1/4 mile, and street). And yes there is a world of difference in the 2 cars.

It's lighter, stiffer, more rubber, bigger brakes, more power, different power curve, different gears. And on and on, and on.

They do have the same radio.

:rolling:

JBsZ0666
07-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Actually the z06 chassis is NOT as stiff as the c6 coupe with its hydroformed steel frame.

I realize the c6 z06 is the faster car..

No question about that.

With that said...taking the top off of my c6 coupe is a blast this year and last.

I wouldn't trade it for the non removable top of the c6 z06.

what can I say...I'm really enjoying the option of driving around with the sun shining in..

I would dig the Grand sport styling and imagine the performance is dam near identical to the c6 I'm driving now....

top speed 190 mph? zero to 60 mph in four flat? 1.0 lateral g acceleration?

For me? this is pretty dam good performance numbers..

If I were deciding between a s/c Grand sport or a Z06? I'd go for the Grand sport.

taking the top off has its merits..

JMO

jaymsu
07-23-2009, 09:20 AM
I would spend 70K on Z06, than buying GS+supercharger.

I was actually wondering similar question:
- very nice used Z06 (less than 10K miles) vs. Grand Sport New
not sure what would be better there... but I think I would still choose used Z

midnite902
07-23-2009, 09:54 AM
I would select the GS for the street and the Z06 if I was going to regularly participate in HPDEs.

As for power adders, that is up the owner. People who have ridden in my car often question my choice when my car idles @ 1000rpm and shakes from the Cam at stop lights. Personally I think it is bad ass but some want a smoother more refined sports car than the animal I have built. Each to his own.

JBsZ0666
07-23-2009, 11:52 AM
I would spend 70K on Z06, than buying GS+supercharger.

I was actually wondering similar question:
- very nice used Z06 (less than 10K miles) vs. Grand Sport New
not sure what would be better there... but I think I would still choose used Z

Comparing a lightly used Z06 vs a grand sport...
then it all boils down to whether you want a new car with a new car warranty and if you want the top off experience..

I didn't realize anyone was using used vehicles to a new one..

That definitely changes the equation..