C6 Steering Column Lock [Archive] - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

: C6 Steering Column Lock


Redman
10-11-2004, 07:45 AM
I took my new (1,750 miles,)C6 to town Friday night and when I came out of the store, the car wouldn't start. On the DIC came the message "Service Column Lock". It looked terrible on the tow truck going to the dealer. Before I sold my C5 I got a recall on the column lock and had it done 4 weeks ago, although it was fine. You would have thought that they would have fixed it in the C6, but it didn't happen. Other than this the car is unbelievable.

Black Coupe, six speed, Z51.

Redman

dalc5
10-11-2004, 05:28 PM
I hope you are kidding!
GM couldn't have made that mistake again. Could they?:WTF

RF Hayes
10-11-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by dalc5
I hope you are kidding!
GM couldn't have made that mistake again. Could they?:WTF

And they ask me why I dont bring it in for the recall....JeZZZ!

c4c5specialist
10-11-2004, 07:22 PM
HI there,
I would reserve judgement until all the facts are in.
The system is completely different from the c5 system.
This is still a mass produced vehicle.
Allthebest, c4c5:bang

RF Hayes
10-11-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by c4c5spec
HI there,
I would reserve judgement until all the facts are in.
The system is completely different from the c5 system.
This is still a mass produced vehicle.
Allthebest, c4c5:bang

In what way is it different, what was changed??

c4c5specialist
10-12-2004, 04:27 AM
HI there,
The actuator is all new, the lock is actually now controlled by a column lock control module and not the BCM.
GMLAN low speed side communications is used from the BCM to control the module, which will move the lock either in or out.
I have had one where an aftermarket accessory produced too much RFI and I had to insulate the supply wire of this component with nickel tape to ground the interference. I also had a loose ground source, G204 causing a column lock problem.
So with that, nothing in this system is interchangable with the c5.
Allthebest, c4c5:thud:

Redman
10-12-2004, 06:54 AM
Allthebest is correct. The dealership called me late yesterday and the problem is the column lock control module, not the old C5 problem. I can live with an electrical component going out even if it is new. The rest of the car is awesome.

Redman

RF Hayes
10-12-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by c4c5spec
HI there,
The actuator is all new, the lock is actually now controlled by a column lock control module and not the BCM.
GMLAN low speed side communications is used from the BCM to control the module, which will move the lock either in or out.
I have had one where an aftermarket accessory produced too much RFI and I had to insulate the supply wire of this component with nickel tape to ground the interference. I also had a loose ground source, G204 causing a column lock problem.
So with that, nothing in this system is interchangable with the c5.
Allthebest, c4c5:thud:

So this is just and isolated incident, rather than the same situation we had on C5. Well thats good news .:cheers:

84 GRANDSPORT
10-12-2004, 08:37 AM
:rolleyes: I would be rippin!:rolleyes: Bullshit like this is why I removed all the computer crap out of my car...This is the second issue I am hearing about on the c-6!:toilet

RF Hayes
10-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by 84 GRANDSPORT
:rolleyes: I would be rippin!:rolleyes: Bullshit like this is why I removed all the computer crap out of my car...This is the second issue I am hearing about on the c-6!:toilet

:huh: It turns out that it's no big deal. But If, if iyou say"I removed all the computer crap out of your car " How do you keep it running?

84 GRANDSPORT
10-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by RF Hayes
:huh: It turns out that it's no big deal. But If, if iyou say"I removed all the computer crap out of your car " How do you keep it running? A good old fashion 750 Carb!:smokin: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4387/password//sort/2/cat/500/page/6

msm859
10-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Who cares if the system is "all new" if it still breaks down and leaves you stranded? If it is so bullit proof why is it not on the automatics. I had the same problem on my 01, and the dealer wouldn't fix it because at the time they couldn't reproduce it and the service bulletin was only for cars made before mine. After about the 3rd time being towed in it finally failed in their parking lot. At that point I told them forget it as I already had ordered the bypass. If GM insists on having this they should offer an optional bypass now! They should also reimburse everyone with a C5 that had to buy one.

84 GRANDSPORT
10-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by msm859
Who cares if the system is "all new" if it still breaks down and leaves you stranded? If it is so bullit proof why is it not on the automatics. I had the same problem on my 01, and the dealer wouldn't fix it because at the time they couldn't reproduce it and the service bulletin was only for cars made before mine. After about the 3rd time being towed in it finally failed in their parking lot. At that point I told them forget it as I already had ordered the bypass. If GM insists on having this they should offer an optional bypass now! They should also reimburse everyone with a C5 that had to buy one. :agree: :thumbsup:

c4c5specialist
10-12-2004, 05:04 PM
HI there,
If you look at the column lock recall, you have reimbursement abilities within the document.
All that you have to do is send in a copy of the bill, and GM will most likely reimburse you.
Be it 01044a or 04006a, both have this capability, however, it is the responsibility of the owner to submit for reimbursement, NOT the dealership.
Allthebest, c4c5:thud:

dalc5
10-13-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by msm859
Who cares if the system is "all new" if it still breaks down and leaves you stranded? If it is so bullit proof why is it not on the automatics. I had the same problem on my 01, and the dealer wouldn't fix it because at the time they couldn't reproduce it and the service bulletin was only for cars made before mine. After about the 3rd time being towed in it finally failed in their parking lot. At that point I told them forget it as I already had ordered the bypass. If GM insists on having this they should offer an optional bypass now! They should also reimburse everyone with a C5 that had to buy one.

:agree: I wonder if any of these problems occurred on any of the test cars.