Cerv 1 & Cerv 2 [Archive] - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

: Cerv 1 & Cerv 2

L88
12-25-2004, 09:14 PM
Duntov and Co. used the CERV I & 2 as rolling laboratories to test new technology (e.g., fuel injected and lighter engines).

Of course with the CERV2, an aluminum 4.0 liter, 240 cubic inch, V8 engine was lighter, made 400 HP, and redlined @7,000rpm.

One has to wonder what else Duntov and Co. had up their collective sleeves??

[All technical info was culled from: "Corvette-50 years", by Randy Leffingwell.

:thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

CorvetteInfo
12-26-2004, 03:15 AM
CERV (Chevrolet Engineering Research Vehicle).

CERV I was developed between 1959-60 by Zora Arkus Duntov as a functional open-wheeled race car, with Larry Shinoda and Tony Lapine doing the design work.

Duntov developed CERV 1 as a platform for engineers to develop and refine Chevrolet body, chassis and suspension systems. Its impressive performance on the test track drove him to have higher aspirations, the checkered flag at Indy. Due to a ban on racing by Chevrolet at the time, Duntov was unable to compete. Duntov drove The CERV 1's demo laps at the U.S. Grand Prix in 1960.

The CERV-I was originally equipped with a 283CID/350HP, small block V8 engine, weighing only 350 lbs. Intensive use of aluminum and magnesium engine components saved over 175 lbs.

Complementing its lightweight powerplant, designer, Larry Shinoda constructed CERV 1’s body structure out of FRP, which weighed in at only 80 lbs.

The body structure was attached to a rigid 125 lb. chrome-molybdenum tube constructed frame, welded in a truss-like configuration. Combining these lightweight components helped the CERV-I's 96" wheelbase weigh in at 1,600 lbs.

CERV-I’s chassis features a four-wheel independent suspension with a unique rear multilink system (similar to systems used today). Front suspension uses independent, variable rate springs with shock absorbers and stabilizer bar. Rear suspension uses independent multilink, variable rate springs, with “double-acting” shock absorbers. Wheels are cast magnesium alloy.

Steering is recirculating ball type with 12:1 ratio.

The brake system uses front disc/rear drum (similar system to 1960 HD), with a two-piston master cylinder to eliminate the chance of complete brake failure.

Fuel was delivered via two rubber bladder fuel cells (20 gal. total capacity).

Fuel injected small block technology was developed using the CERV 1. For even greater performance, Duntov refitted the CERV-I with its current 377 cu. in. aluminum small block, an advanced Rochester fuel injection system and Indy-style tires and wheels. To match this mechanical updating, Shinoda redesigned its streamlined body structure for greater aerodynamics.

Top Speed: 206 mph.

Today the CERV-I appears in this second-generation form. It’s owned by Mike Yager, President of Mid America Designs, and is part of the Mid America Designs car collection.

http://www.conceptcarposter.com/gm_img/Corvette_CERV_I.jpg

Photo Credit (and to obtain a poster) (http://www.conceptcarposter.com/)

[GM Media Press Release, November 6, 1997]

C'ya
D

CorvetteInfo
12-26-2004, 03:44 AM
Cerv 2 was built under Duntov's direction between 1963-64 to potentially combat Ford's GT40s. Duntov wanted to develop a separate line of racing Corvettes, an idea that was later rejected by GM management. Duntov built one car with the technologies he thought would make a good race car.

The CERV II was conceived early '62 and developed over the next year (after the GS program was also stopped).

The chassis was like the Ford GT-40, a monocoque with steel subframe to carry the suspension and engine.

The original power plant was an injected alloy ohc 377CID/490HP V-8, small block with cross ram 58mm Weber carburetors, and a 10.8 compression ratio, originally planned, but they finally settled on Hilborn fuel injection.

Power output was in the 500HP range. By 1970, it ran a ZL-1 427 Corvette engine: 427-ci V-8/550 hp, 0-60 2.8 (mfr. est.), top speed 200 mph. Vertical exhaust stacks were added for simplicity.

Chevy General Manager "Bunkie" Knudsen wanted to get back into racing so the CERV II was planned for the international prototype class with a 4-liter version of the small block using special 3-valve sohc heads (run by Mickey Thompson at Indy). Titanium was to be used for hubs, connecting rods, valves, and exhaust manifolds. The car was to weigh under 1400 lbs. At the same time, an automatic racing gearbox without a power-wasting hydraulic coupling was designed.

Construction was started almost at the same time Knudsen was ordered to stay out of racing. The CERV II's engineering of the drive system and torque converter arrangement was handed over to GM's engineering staff/team, headed-up by Raymond Michnay. The result was an advanced 4 wheel drive unit, using two torque converters, a glued-together steel and aluminum monocoque, very wide wheels with Firestone, experimental, low profile tires (9.2 X 15 mounted on 9.5 X 15 Kelsey-Hayes magnesium wheels). This was the first time that anyone had designed a variable power delivery to each end of the car, which varied according to vehicle speeds.

An 11" Powerglide torque converter modified so that it wouldn't reach lock-up (1:1 ratio) until about 4500 RPM, off the rear of the engine ran the rear drive.

A 10" Powerglide converter (from a Corvair) was placed ahead of the front wheels for the front drive. Lock-up was about 4100 RPM. Duntov specified a two-speed gearbox for each end of the car, placed behind the final drive gears, which allowed a choice of direct drive or a 1.5 to one reduction.

The brakes were mounted outboard. Girling calipers were widened to accept a vented rotor. The hub carriers (front and rear) were cast nodular iron with the front steering arms being forged steel. Concentric coil springs and Armstrong shock absorbers were used at all four corners.

The car's first appearance was in March '64, on the Milford test track. Later that year, GM management abandoned the Ford challenge and the program ended.

During developement, Jim Hall, Roger Penske, and Bob Clift were among the top drivers who ran the Cerv 2.

Reported performance was 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, 0-60 in under 5 seconds, and over 180 MPH.

The body was by the team of Shinoda and Lapine again (Lapine's last major job for Chevy before going to Europe and Porsche).

The plan was now to use the CERV II as an anti-GT-40 weapon. GM management killed that, but the car was used as a research tool for a mid-sixties super-Corvette that too was killed. Never raced, the CERV II ended as a show and museum piece:

http://www.corvette.nl/pictures/cervii.jpg

Ref./Photo Credits (http://www.corvette.nl/specials/cervii.html)

C'ya
D

CorvetteInfo
12-26-2004, 04:16 AM
CERV 3, was a mid-engine, fully functional Corvette show car which debuted at the Detroit International Auto Show in 1990.

A Jerry Palmer design concept, the object was to showcase the Chevrolet Design team with Lotus' advanced racing expertise.

Twin Garrett J3 turbocharged, DOHC 32-valve, 350CID V8, all-wheel-drive, active suspension, Countach-like scissor doors, targa roof, CRT screen. Extensive use of carbon fiber with a fiberglass finish coating. Titanium springs and A-arms. Computer controlled active suspension (with actuators in place of shock absorbers). ABS/Traction control.

Mid-Engine/Traverse mounted
All Wheel Drive
All Wheel Steering
Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic
Weight 3300 lbs
Length 189"
Height 42.9"
Wheelbase 98.2"
Front Track 63.9"
Rear Track 66.1"
Engine Type: Twin-Turbo V8
Displacement: 5727 cc
Horsepower: 650 bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 655 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
0-60 mph: 3.9 sec
Top Speed: est 225 mph
Cost EST: $300-$400k (most expensive propsed Corvette ever).

http://www.carstyling.ru/resources/concept/90chevrolet_cerv3_1.jpg
Photo Credit (http://www.carstyling.ru/car.asp?id=2145)
Ref/Poster (http://www.illustratedcorvetteseries.com/No84_CERV_III.html)

C'ya
D

CorvetteInfo
12-26-2004, 04:45 AM
12/92, General Motors' Corvette group secretly contracts with TDM, Inc. to build a test car of the 1997 Corvette. The test car is officially called CERV-4 (Corvette Engineering Research Vehicle). Corvette directs the project, with Chevrolet paying for it. General Motors management is not told about it, for fear that they would cancel it.

The Corvette team developed the CERV IV in 90 days in early 1993, got approval to build the car around April of that year and eventually turned the model into the C5, which arrived in 1997.

For a full read on the C5 development CLICK HERE (http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9189)

C'ya
D

Roadkillz
10-18-2005, 02:17 PM
What do you know about the 4.0L SOHC 3 valve SBC that was being developed for the CERV II?

CorvetteInfo
10-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by DOC7000
What do you know about the 4.0L SOHC 3 valve SBC that was being developed for the CERV II?
I believe the engine was based on three '62 mid-engined Indy cars, designed by Englishman John Crostwaite for Mickey Thompson, who powered them with aluminum Buick V8's, as the Harvey Aluminum Specials.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/photopost/data/542/6073indy62-med.jpg

I'm still trying to confirm, but I think these heads were essentially the same as latter Gurney/Weslake heads in 2 and 3 valve configurations. Englishman Sir Harry Weslake helped develop the heads associated with Ford, Gurney (drove for Thompson as a rookie in '62), and the original F40.

Weslake Engineering learned years before GM/Ford not to take too literally what the flow bench said, and were narrowing intake ports to provide nominal gas speeds in the range of 350 to 400 feet-second, making good use of the fact that kinetic energy packing air into the cylinders increases with the square of it's velocity.

I'll post more as I learn more... have you got any info?

TIA,
D

Roadkillz
10-19-2005, 12:07 AM
the info I got says that they out fitted the heads from the indy car to the Chevy Small block V-8 that measured at 4.0L. But Im not too sure as to how accurate the info is so I figured Id run it by you C5D.