GM Approved Gasolines [Archive] - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

: GM Approved Gasolines

Pages : [1] 2

JohnFrancis
02-01-2005, 05:24 PM
The other day I read an entry that listed the gasolines that GM approved for the Corvette. Can someone please point me to the item as I failed to copy or save it.

Thanks

CorvetteInfo
02-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Click Here (http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22161&highlight=approved+gasoline)

Need more?

C'ya
D

ZL1GT
02-01-2005, 11:28 PM
The GM service bulletin specifies the same brands listed at toptiergas.com. They are:

Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
QuikTrip (with a "Q", not "K")
Entec Stations

Vette1171
02-02-2005, 01:13 AM
wonder why exxon or moble arn't on there:huh:

The Torch
02-02-2005, 06:41 AM
...and BP

SilverBear
02-02-2005, 09:03 AM
I use Amoco 93 (now BP Amoco 93) exclusively. I also use it in my lawnmower, leaf blower, chain saw, and generator...all air cooled engines...because it burns cooler than 87 octane. JMHO.

RF Hayes
02-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Vette1171
Got me, but they are the only fuels I have ever used since day one (back in the late 50's) and have never had any trouble with them.

Bobchad
02-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Vette1171

Cause they didn't enter into a marketing alliance with GM.

olddog
02-02-2005, 01:44 PM
HORSEFEATHERS!!

I know that Sunoco is BMW approved and they have darn high standards. I know Exxon is good gas for pump stuff: Ditto Amoco/BP.

What is up here? One of two things: an alliance with GM ($$) or GM is still making poor fuel injectors.

RedLine SI#1 is the best injector cleaner on the planet . Ford injectors are better than GM's and I use them in my 92 Vette.

Approved gas my butt.

olddog

jjwvette
02-02-2005, 02:44 PM
I agree,I use nothing butt....Amoco and Mobil and never had a injector problem with my 99 or 03.......
Bull Craaaaaa...........p:down:

excessive81
02-02-2005, 03:12 PM
i can not believe amaco is not listed. that is what they put in it at the factory. they even said it in the tour:lookinup: :smokin: :drink:

Vette1171
02-02-2005, 05:40 PM
I am making the switch to cheveron however. My tuner told me that he sees higher dyno numbers with that brand than others.

RF Hayes
02-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by jjwvette
I agree,I use nothing butt....Amoco and Mobil and never had a injector problem with my 99 or 03.......
Bull Craaaaaa...........p:down: I wonder if they are talking about sulphur content and the problems with their fuel sender?? (not the injectors??)

ZL1GT
02-02-2005, 06:52 PM
I think Top Tier has nothing to do with quality or octane. Its just a detergent specification that GM, BMW, Honda, and Toyota agreed on because some gas sold in this country doesn't have enough detergent. The government doesn't require much because it doesn't directly affect clean air.

ZL1GT
02-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by RF Hayes
I wonder if they are talking about sulphur content and the problems with their fuel sender?? (not the injectors??)

The primary goal of top tier gas seems to be to reduce deposits, especially on intake valves and pistons (many 2000-up Cad northstars need regular trips to the dealer to be de-carboned, a GM-specified process that takes over 2 hours). toptiergas.com says:

"TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a recently established new standard for gasoline performance. Four of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.

These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That’s something both drivers and automakers want to avoid. "

However, I've read of some BMW's having fuel senders replaced 2 or 3 times due to deposts, also some GM light duty trucks. TECHRON has been proved to disolve these fuel sender deposits and is an ingredient in many (maybe all?) of the top tier gasolines. I've had no further problems with my C6 fuel gage.

olddog
02-02-2005, 08:33 PM
89 Vette had all injectors pulled & flow tested.

Four were professionally re-built and tested. The other four were put back in the car with one bottle of Red Line SI#1, run 200 miles and removed. . . .
they all flowed to within 1% of the re-built injectors.

Only thing they make I will touch.

olddog

ZL1GT
02-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by olddog
89 Vette had all injectors pulled & flow tested.

Four were professionally re-built and tested. The other four were put back in the car with one bottle of Red Line SI#1, run 200 miles and removed. . . .
they all flowed to within 1% of the re-built injectors.

Only thing they make I will touch.

olddog

Sounds like good stuff. Wonder if its related to chevron's Techron

olddog
02-03-2005, 06:29 AM
We used to use TECHRON: it's fair; this stuff is great.

Our old drag motor was a 468" Reher with 13:5 compression and it runs leaded racing gas as expected. We stabilize every 55 gallon drum with two bottles of this stuff and add about thrr or four ounces every fifth or sixth 16 gallon fuel cell.

Had to pull the heads for a stripped plug hole and there was NOTHING on the pistons, in the combustion chamber and on the valve stems.

WE buy it by the case between the Vettes and the drag cars, My partner has a blown Willys and we use it in that too.

I just go to Google and type it an and buy it by the case. On the Vette, I use a bottle every 5,000 miles.

Good stuff.

olddog :thumbsup:

Mark S.
02-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Switched from Amoco/BP to Texaco/Shell about a year ago and my fuel gauge problems went away...

olddog
02-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Keep an eye on injector fouling with Texaco.