What octane booster to use? [Archive] - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

: What octane booster to use?

Pages : [1] 2

EFE Z06
10-13-2005, 09:55 PM
Can someone out there that has experience with octane boosters recommend which one is the best to use with the new Z06?

I plan to go to the dealer and add it before they fill the tank with 91 octane at delivery (no 93 octane out here). I know some of the boosters are bad for the injectors. Thanks!

EFE

moore_rb
10-13-2005, 09:59 PM
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27081

:thumbsup:

59 C1
10-13-2005, 10:15 PM
EFE

Here in California they serve 91 octane at the pump. Is that going to be a prob with the Z?

EFE Z06
10-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by 59 C1
EFE

Here in California they serve 91 octane at the pump. Is that going to be a prob with the Z?

The new Z06 calls for 93 octane to get best performance. I called Chevrolet and asked if the emissions computer will retard the timing if lower 91 octane was used, they said no but the car would perform a little better with 93 octane. They also said the owners manual states that 91 octane can be used.

Ok, everybody else that works with these onboard computers and tunes the cars says the timing will retard when 91 octane is used. Once the timing is retarded, it won't reset until the tank is empty and you fill it anew with 93 octane.

To be safe and make sure I get the best performance, I'll install 93 octane from the beginning. There is no 93 out here in Prescott, so I'll have to go to a booster. From what I've already read in just the last half hour, it appears aviation fuel should not be used as it has some lead in it and it will damage the emission systems on new cars, such as the oxygen sensor and cats. I'm still investigating which booster to use.

EFE

midnite902
10-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by moore_rb
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27081

:thumbsup:

I saw C5D mention Av Gas is this a safe option?

EFE Z06
10-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by midnite902

Read this!

http://www.idavette.net/hib/fuel/page2.htm

EFE

EFE Z06
10-13-2005, 11:41 PM
This was a good article on "toluene" as a safe octane booster!

http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.p...le&artid=63

EFE

moore_rb
10-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by EFE Speakers
This was a good article on "toluene" as a safe octane booster!

http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.p...le&artid=63

EFE

Yup, that's a good one... ;)

And Toluene works. It is basically the same hydrocarbon structure as gasoline, only with fewer impurities, and it has no lead at all. Perfectly safe for cats.

CorvetteInfo
10-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by midnite902
I mentioned 100ll Av gas in relation to early C1-3's, e.g., cars designed to run on leaded gas (now unavailable) and NOT equipped with Cats (lead will destroy the Cat's).

100ll Av Gas is low lead and should NOT be used in any unleaded applications. Nor is it the best gas for racing engines, but it does work fine for us older, stock, "leaded" engines.

C'ya
D

CorvetteInfo
10-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Read this!

http://www.idavette.net/hib/fuel/page2.htm

EFE
:agree:

Great article!! Always good for a re-read.!!!:excited: :thumbsup:

hagi
10-14-2005, 11:39 AM
In Turkey they got 98 octane in 2004 which is 3 years after I left my country.

moore_rb
10-14-2005, 11:40 AM

Ok, everybody else that works with these onboard computers and tunes the cars says the timing will retard when 91 octane is used. Once the timing is retarded, it won't reset until the tank is empty and you fill it anew with 93 octane.

That depends on the blend of the gas. MTBE blended gas is more volatile than Ethanol blended gas, even at the same octane levels, so ambient temperature plays a huge part in how the efficiently the various blends combust...

91 octane MTBE blended gas on a 100+ degree day will make your car ping like a popcorn popper, simply because the fuel's density is so low at high ambient temps. The energy stored per unit of fuel (octane) is the same, but the vapor point of MTBE gas is really high, so you just don't get as much into the cylinders per injector pulse.

Likewise, 91 octane Ethanol blended gas on a cool 65 degree day will allow your car to run on its most aggressive timing curve without any pinging or the computer pulling back the advance at all....

EFE, you are likely gonna see a 30+ RWHP shift in your Z06 depending on the season and the fuel blend at the pump. The MTBE summer blend here in AZ is Donkey piss on a hot day, and the Ethanol blend we run in winter is quite good at storing energy. Even though both are rated at 91, your car will respond quite differently to each.

My car really wakes up after October 15 (when the pumps switch to Ethanol blend), and it really takes a crap after April 1st, when the pumps switch back to MTBE.

I spend my whole summer in the low octane tables.

If you are gonna do the Toluene option, then summer is really the only time you should have to use it, IMO.

Is there anywhere in Prescot that sells Trick or Cam2 racing fuels? both are safe for your car, also....

Here's a good ratio calculator to blend two different gasolines to achieve a desired octane:

http://www.motorsportsracingfuels.com/OctaneCalculator.html

Z06 Tom
10-14-2005, 12:16 PM
I run TORCO in my blown Z. It's good stuff. Here's a link: CLICK ME! (http://www.torcoracefuels.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=28)

EFE Z06
10-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Z06 Tom
I run TORCO in my blown Z. It's good stuff. Here's a link: CLICK ME! (http://www.torcoracefuels.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=28)

What is the ratio you mix with 91 octane to get 93 octane? That looks like a 1 quart bottle at around $21, hope you don't have to mix that whole thing in 1 tank full? That would be mighty expensive, thanks!

EFE

EFE Z06
10-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Well, I found a dealer that will sell me toluene in 5 gallon cans for a great price - $32! So I ordered two cans to have in supply when my Z06 arrives.

Unfortunately my Chevy dealer just notified me that my November deliver is now extended to December or January. They actually won't get an allocation number until November, then that means 4 to 6 weeks from that point. Late in December the plant closes down, so it will probably go into January.
:down:

What a bummer! I might end up drinking that toluene myself. :(

EFE

EFE Z06
04-07-2006, 04:15 AM
As some of you know, I posted this thread a few months ago regarding octane boosters for my new Z06. I read several articles on what was feasible to add to 91 octane, the highest grade we have here in AZ.

I ended up buying and using toluene for the first couple of months of owning the car. I don't like the smell it leaves but it seemed to do the job. I added about a gallon and a half to each fill up, supposedly giving me around 93 octane.

I read a lot of info on some of these small bottles of octane boosters sold in the auto stores and most were not worth the money, only adding 2 to 3 points to the octane, a point being 1/10th of a whole octane number.

After doing a little further investigation, I found one of these boosters claiming to make a big difference or your money back. I called the manufacturer to ask exactly how much increase one bottle made to the actual octane number. He told me one bottle added to 25 gallons of 91 octane gas would take octane up to 93 octane! I asked if that was a sure thing and he confirmed it. I suppose it might be a little higher when mixed with 18 gallons as is with most Corvettes.

So I tried a bottle of this 104+ Max Octane booster after my last tank of the toluene mix. Let me say this, I felt the difference after five minutes! I then recommended another Z06 owner to try it and see what he experienced, he said he felt the difference also.

Anyhow, I've driven my Z06 for a good two months using toluene, so I know what the engine feels like at all speeds including my 160mph run on Route 66.
The car now accelerates faster and feels better at higher rpm's, it is a noticeable difference from using toluene. I don't know if adding 104+ will make a difference for those already using higher octane gas in other states, but it is shure worth a try for at least one tank of gas.

I contacted the distributor (IN) for the booster and ordered 4 cases (24 bottles). It normally sells for around $8.99 a bottle in the auto stores, buying wholesale direct in quantity ran me $6.35 per bottle plus shipping. For those that can buy higher octane gas (93 to 98), I think this would be much cheaper to add one bottle to a tank of 91 octane and worth a try. Perhaps try adding a bottle with higher octane gas, it might improve performance even more?

"104+ Max Octane Booster" - it works!

EFE Z06

dxbsuperstar
04-07-2006, 04:17 AM
Where i live. We have 98 octane!!!

Howmuch HP will i get from 98 octane??

EFE Z06
04-07-2006, 04:26 AM
Where i live. We have 98 octane!!!
Howmuch HP will i get from 98 octane??

I don't know if it will improve performance when already using higher octane, but it is worth a try at least once. There is an incredient in this booster that is used in racing and I understand the amount in this bottle is for mainly off road use, meaning it is very potent for street use!

And by the way, it is safe for the total exhaust system, some other boosters I've read about are not.

What does 98 octane cost you per gallon? What's the difference from 91 octane? If 91 octane is like a dollar cheaper per gallon, then 18 gallons of 91 octane would save you $18, then adding this booster ($9) to the 91 ocatne would still save you $9 and perhaps perform just as good. I'd try it anyhow!

EFE Z06

dxbsuperstar
04-07-2006, 04:45 AM
The difference is so little between 98 and 95 octanes, a couple of cents i guess and im sure the difference in power would be big :D

id love to try this booster with 98 octane :hump:

I wonder how would the beast react with it :drink:

The Torch
04-07-2006, 05:37 AM
dxbsuperstar

You might have 98 octane but in the UAE it is figured differently than ours. Your pump should list a RON number (the 98 octane) and a MON number (typically 86 to 90). RON is the Research octane number and MON is the Motor Octane Number. Our octane rating is figured by the R+M/2 method that is (RON) + (MON) divided by 2. If your pump lists RON=98 and MON=88 then the R+M/2 method would be

98+88/2 or 93 octane