calling all mad scientist [Archive] - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

: calling all mad scientist

-Jordan-
02-11-2004, 04:40 PM
hey guys i was wondering is there anyway to change the color scheme on a stock 84-89 digital dash or just any way to change the way it looks or funtions ? has anyone done it or heard of anything like that ? thx guys !!! :D

Vette_Newb
02-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Now THAT would be kewl. Prolly kinda tough to do, but I bet is is doable. :)

-Jordan-
02-12-2004, 07:49 PM
ya it would be really cool but does anyone have ANY idea of how one might do it !? :huh:

CorvetteInfo
02-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Pull out the bulbs and experiment with different color painting.

Used to work on the old 1157's. Don't cost much and can't hurt much either.

C'ya
D

T.M.
02-12-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by c5d
Pull out the bulbs and experiment with different color painting.

Used to work on the old 1157's. Don't cost much and can't hurt much either.

C'ya
D
I did that with my 83 trans-am,went with red.Turned out pretty good.

-Jordan-
02-12-2004, 09:31 PM
cool . . but im kinda scared to try it . .is it easy to screw it up ?

CorvetteInfo
02-13-2004, 12:18 AM
Then again with a moniker of KingJoeJoe... I envision huge hands, mostly thumbs!

If you are comfortable removing the digital dash, the bulbs won't cause any difficulty. Even if the color doesn't work, you can always just use a little thinner to clean bulbs off & back to clear.

If you need/want help:

http://www.gordonkillebrew.com/pages/800740/

He might have better info on what can/can't/has been done.

C'ya
D

-Jordan-
05-17-2004, 12:27 AM
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/photopost/data/625/260digadash.jpg

hmm so thers like individual bulbs behind all the little bars ? I thought it was ilke an LCD set up or something I guess they didnt have stuff like that back then. Im going to go ahead and try it.
now i have to decide on the colors im going to use. . . someone think up some good color combos !! so i can get this done and post some pics !

russ
05-17-2004, 10:06 PM
someone did it on another forum. replaced the stock transparent sheets and replaced them with red , if i remember right. its not as simple as replacing bulbs.

went back and found the post. hope no one gets upset about the link.

http://forums.corveteforum.co/zerothread?id=616437&page=2

CorvetteInfo
05-18-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by -Jordan-
... so ther[e']s like individual bulbs behind all the little bars ? ... I
Originally posted by russ
... if i remember right. its not as simple as replacing bulbs. ...
The LCD's are one thing, the bulbs another.

The speedo & tach are LCD (liquid crystal display), controlled by the cluster's microprocessor via the CPU (central processing unit) and A/D (analog / digital) converter. However there are four halogen 882 light bulbs on the 1984-88, which are changeable by the owner.

The 1989 cluster has Xenon bulbs, which are replaceable with 7073 Stanley bulbs (not soldered in). The dealers do not have this bulb.

The backlighting is controlled by the cluster photocell, which senses the light inside of the car and brightens or dims the cluster's four halogen bulbs.

The 1984-1988 cluster's bulbs are rated at 3.8 candlelight power and the average life is estimated between 1,500-3,000 hours of continuous use.

Replacement Of Bulbs (Without Sockets) Without Removing Cluster From Dash:
Changing the 882 halogen bulbs in the 1984-88 cluster:

The 882 halogen bulb for the 1984-88 cluster can be purchased with or without the socket at most auto parts stores. For this replacement without removing the cluster from the dash, you don’t want the socket, just the bulb. The Xenon bulbs in the 1989 cluster are replaceable with 7073 Stanley bulbs (not soldered in). It looks like a T60, 194 wedge-based bulb. The 194 has a 2 candlelight power while the Stanley has a 3.5 candlelight power.

1.Remove the Cluster Bezel.
2. Once the cluster bezel is removed, lift out the shiny heat sink covering the halogen bulb to be changed.
3. Using a pair of needle-nose pliers, remove the defective bulb. After the new bulb is inserted into the socket, gently push the bulb into the socket, fully seating it to the socket.
4. Using a soft cloth or a cotton swab dipped in alcohol, wipe any fingerprints off the bulb. The oil on your fingers can cause early bulb failure.
5. Reverse the removal procedure to reassemble.

Changing the Directional or High-Beam Indicator Bulbs:
The directional and high beam indicator bulbs are a small number 74 wedge-base bulb.

Remove the black lens cover by lifting out the two black plug retainers to access and change bulbs. To remove the bulb, pull straight out on the bulb with a pair of needle nose pliers. Always wipe off the end of the new bulb after installing it. It is not a halogen bulb, but the oil off your fingers can cause a later failure. Reassemble all components as necessary.

[Corvette Magazine, Dec. 99, G. Killebrew]

C4clusterfix
02-03-2005, 05:50 PM
I have installed new color lenses for momo chrome color cjange. It will change the the multicolor cluster to a singal color: red, green, white, blue, yellow, orange. I like red the best. Not to hard to install. Please email witchcityeng@yahoo.com for more info

C4clusterfix
02-03-2005, 11:31 PM
wanna buy one?