Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

How would you bond this back together?

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  graphicjunki 
#1 ·
Polyester resin/glass cloth, MCU/glass cloth, or hopefully speedgrip urethane structural adhesive (2 part)?
Glue it and a screw in the factory supplied dimple seems appropriate to clamp it?
What do you all think? :huh:

See less See more
#2 ·
If it were me, I would use the resin/glass...and do a little more work to guarantee the results...

Sounds crazy, but cut the lifted piece off all the way back and slightly beyond where it's split. Take a file and smoothen both faces so that you are working with 'true' faces again. Sand the edges where the body split, back so that there is a good bevel to them. Then lay in enough layers of glass so that when you replace the original top layer, it's one or two layers short of being level and even. You are using the original layer as to maintain the original shape. Then lay in the last couple of layers on top to give you a nice level surface. Once cured, go back and hand sand the surface faces so that everything is smooth and original looking. Of course you will have to repaint the area.

You could just bond it, but without getting rid of all the split area as described, you can't guarantee that it won't continue to split and spread.

Reactions: slofut
#4 ·
Sorry....Ive worked quite a bit with glass.....I wouldnt trust that. like with any other material.... You never know whats hidden and what will haunt you. its better to take the extra effort up front.

Thats just me.....

#5 ·
:agree::agree: use matting instead of cloth, and use new SMC resin as it'll work on both FG and SMC. What is the temperature in the place that you'll be doing the repairs? I ask this question as it matters on how much hardener that needs to be mixed...more if it's cold and less if it's real warm.

#6 ·
Hey what is SMC resin? Probably an epoxy?
It's all clean and dry, no grease. I'm thinking I'll use sticky sandpaper on a paint stick (one of my favorite tools) and sand/level things out, then use mat glass and strengthen to the areas around it. It fits together well when you push it together, I was hoping to just glue it and put a screw in it to let it cure, but as deep as I am in this thing already I'll probably glass it up. One more mini project to add to the list... I am curious about this SMC resin though, got to be improvements by now in resin technology. I've probably used a couple 55gal drums of polyester resin over the years.

My shop stays around 55 deg + or so lately.

I searched it, SMC=sheet molded composite. Which is what the vette body is I guess. And it looks like smc resin is probably polyester?

#7 ·
BTW Mike, what is the bonding compound you're talking about? I've never used it, is it liquid or solid? Or just resin? What I've been uncovering on this car, the factory bonding material almost looks like bondo! Kind of sands that way too? Of course bondo wouldn't glue a body together, but in the bonded joints it doesn't look like they used traditional fiberglass resin and cloth or mat to put the pieces together.

#10 ·
...what is the bonding compound...
Bonding compound holds fiberglass pieces together. All C3 body panels are bonded in some way, shape, or fashion.

It looks to me like the clip has been off this car based on the separation under the fender and where the hood ledge appears to have been cut.

Is there something else going on here not evident in the pics?

:thumbsup:

#9 ·
#11 ·
This is exactly what I'm talking about. You are literally saying that it isn't right under it all....You know it's messed up. Do yourself a real favor and don't just glue it down. Take the time to dig into it and ensure that it's correctly repaired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.