Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

What are the best tires to get for C5?

65K views 44 replies 26 participants last post by  Blue Dog 
#1 ·
So I recently noticed that I seriously need some new tires for the vette. All the burnouts, drifts, and donuts obviously did NOT help in the process. My question is fairly simple, I would like to know which tires are the best to get for a C5 Corvette? The reason I am asking this is because i would like to know what my fellow Corvette Forum buddies thought, on this dilemma of mines. (I would like to get everybody's input, before i make a choice)

By the way i would like something along the lines of durability, pretty good grip, and good with rain. Thanks! ;)

#2 ·
What do you use the car for mostly? Racing? If so, drag, autocross, or road course? Cruising? Summer/all season? Wet? Dry? Do want the added protection of runflats?

We need more specifics. After all a set of Michelin A/S radials are perfect for cruising in rain or shine year round but awful for autocrossing.

#3 ·
I have found that BFG GForce KDW II's are hard to beat. Great when dry, good when wet. I get about 30k out of them with nothing but spirited driving. Plus, they are MADE IN THE USA and their price is right too.

#4 ·
Hey guys thanks for replying, I use the car for racing sometimes by taking it to the drag strip once in a while. I also use it a lot during the summer for cruising as well, but as far as runflats go, i don't care for the added protection so much. ;)

also there are those times where i get caught in the rain so that is why i asked if there is something water friendly as well?

Thanks for the help!

(yeah, i've heard about the BFG GForce KDW II's it's rep. is pretty good. I may highly consider buying these tires.)

#6 ·
I really like the Toyo T1R for C5's. Great street tire, very capable track tire as well.

But, currently running Hankook tires on Becky's C5 because of the size requirements of her aftermarket wheels. Regardless, the Hankook's have great grip, quiet tire, super responsive. Good wear.

#9 ·
Personally, I like Nitto Invos and am running them currently. I also wouldn't touch Goodyear Supercars with a 10ft pole(I bought 25ft of guard rail in Kimble County Texas because of having those on the rear of my 2001)

#14 ·
BF Goodrich KDW-2

The straight KDW's are fine but the newest version (KDW-2) are much better in rain. The compund is still as grippy as the standard KDW's and they are "much" quietier than the Goodyear Runflats.

#15 ·
Another Vote for the Nitto Invos, BEAUTIFUL tire, amazing handling and wet traction when needed.

Used these for auto cross as well. stick like glue, and corner like a roller coaster.

heres a pic of the rather interesting tread design:

#22 ·
Another Vote for the Nitto Invos, BEAUTIFUL tire, amazing handling and wet traction when needed.

Used these for auto cross as well. stick like glue, and corner like a roller coaster.

QUOTE]

+3 for Invos. They got rid of the tramlining issues I was having with the Pirelli's also.

This post has been deleted
#17 ·
I gave riken raptors a try at 117.00 a tire. They were bought for my 90 corvette 275-40zr-17 but since have been put on my 97 camaro. I believe they are are available in 18 & 19" sizes. They do really nice in dry & rain, cornering is good, ride somewhat rough but I have 140,000 mile shocks and struts on my camaro too. Overall quite pleased with them.

#18 ·
Another Vote for BFG KDW II's. Good all around tire for the street in dry and rainy conditions. Drove em' in Seattle and they are good for 30,000+ miles.

If you are more serious about Track and Strip the BFG's will not heat cycle more than once properly.

Nitto is also a great maker with all season and max performance options.

#24 ·
Good Info - Thanks

That thread had great info. I'm buying tires for a 2004/C5.
Cray Wheels 17x9 and 18x10.5 Will 265/40-17 and 295/35-18 work out OK ? Don't want any rubbing obviously or them sticking out beyond the wheel wells. Can someone help me out?
I want larger tires than the stock 245/45 and 275/40's. Thanks a million!

#25 ·
That thread had great info. I'm buying tires for a 2004/C5.
Cray Wheels 17x9 and 18x10.5 Will 265/40-17 and 295/35-18 work out OK ? Don't want any rubbing obviously or them sticking out beyond the wheel wells. Can someone help me out?
I want larger tires than the stock 245/45 and 275/40's. Thanks a million!
I'm currently running 265/35r18s and 305/30r19s with no rubbing issues and they fill out the wheel wells nicely

#32 ·
Just got back from having the new Michelin PS2 Ultra HP's put on the 99 C5. Holy crap! What a huge difference that made over the Goodyear Eagle F1's that were on the car.

The noise in the cabin went down a good 50-60%. I'm no longer shouting at people on my bluetooth if I'm talking on my Iphone.

The car stopped wandering on the road, and practically drives itself.

I'm taking it in tomorrow for the cold air/mass flow upgrade, spark plugs, new wires, reprogram the computer for better performance and mileage, a spin on the dyno to check it's improvements, a 4 wheel alignment, and possibly get the brake pads changed, and rotors turned.

Then I should be ready for a road trip to Vegas or Frisco.

#33 ·
tires

i run eagle f1 supercar 285/40 zr18 in back, and falken ze512 275/ zr17 in front. highway off ramps at 80 mph isnt a problem. I dont run in the rain so couldn't tell you any info on wet handling.

#34 ·
Thumbs up for BFG KDW IIs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.