Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Pricing 73 Vette Vert 4speed

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  drbluevert 
#1 ·
This is a non a/c car. I do live in Texas, its nice to have but I have NEVER seen a C3 with a/c that can handle texas summers.

My question is does a Non-A/C car bring better money then an A/C car.

keep in mind this is a 4speed convertible.

#4 ·
I'm guessing most people don't buy a '73 for a daily driver, so A/C shouldn't be much of an issue. However, if you were thinking of using it as a d/d, I wouldn't think of having it in TX without the air. My guess is A/C makes little difference one way or the other with a car of that era.

#5 ·
It's funny how people without A/C, or A/C that doesn't work - don't like A/C or they're neutral at the very least. :rolleyes:

I cannot fathom who goes on a mid summer day cruse and think that removing the "T top" is going to be comfortable and not sweat when it's in the 90's and full sun.
If you're into racing and classic cars then a/c is not expected ie L-88, Z-28, Shelbys, L6 Chevelles and so on. However, I'm sure all things being equal, most people prefer a/c and would pay reasonably. Frequently I hear the commentators at the Major car auctions favor the convertible 4 speeds with big blocks and A/C.
I personally will never buy any car or truck without a/c if I expect to drive it and enjoy it.

Providing the A/C is working well, Install the right insulation correctly in a C3 and it will take on any Texas Summer!

#6 ·
Well Rich even with my other car wich has A/C I Hardly use it not even when it gets in the 90's here in Texas ... Just my preferance, and When I drive my 73 to Car Shows its either in the Mornings or evening thats right with the T-Tops Off.. I Like the open air feel when Im driving my car... So A/C for me is no big deal...

#9 ·
how many 73 convertibles have AC? how many have a well working AC system? how many 73 convertibles will seal up well enough for the AC to really cool them down in a Texas summer?

how many people look like idiots driving around a corvette convertible with the top up and AC Running?

I have never seen a C3 convertible with the top up in the summer and AC running..

to answer the OP's question.. AC is a desirable option so you might have to pay several grand for it on a convertible. make sure it is working and well serviced and all the ducting works.

#11 ·
how many people look like idiots driving around a corvette convertible with the top up and AC Running?

I have never seen a C3 convertible with the top up in the summer and AC running..

I don't know if TX has humidity like here in PA summers. There has been a time or two my wife and I will go out to a decent upscale restaurant and we will take her 2010 'vette convertible. I seriously doubt anybody ever thought we looked like "idiots" when it's 80% plus humidity, 95 plus degrees outside sitting in stop and go traffic with the top up and a/c on. I don't know about the rest of you but I sweat in high heat and humidity and wet dress shirts are neither a good look or comfortable.

#13 ·
Know I am late on this conversation, but I picked my 73 up in dallas. The ac working was part of the deal I made with the seller. It is great to have in Texas. It was also the one condition the wife put on me buying it.

But then again, I am another guy who's ac does not currently work. I found out last winter the ac still had a leak. I am in El Paso now and had the tops out from March through October and loved it. Something about going down the highway with no tops in.

That being said, I am fixing the ac before the new year starts. Looking forward to having it again next summer.

#14 ·
Had to update my last post on the a/c.

Once I got to the a/c on my project list I did a little digging around. With a little mentoring, I checked the electrical before checking for leaks. The fix was a $5.00 fuse from NAPA and had nothing do do with the system leaking.

Popped the fuse in and the system is blowing cold air after 10 months of not being used.

Much better than $89.00 to test for leaks and $189.00 to recharge the system.

#16 ·
The prior owner of my 71 changed the a/c lines, charged the system and changed the evaporator and the a/c still didn't work. I would have to look at it later. When I tore out the interior I found mice had chewed up all the firewall jute insulation and packed it all into the dash's duct tubes. Once that stuff was cleaned out a/c runs really cold and aided by the heat and sound shield this 71's a/c is as good as my 2006.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.