Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Name a pita job you wouldn't like to repeat.

9K views 38 replies 26 participants last post by  jb78L-82 
#1 ·
Ever notice the cost - just for labor, to re-cover vette seats? It seems out of line compared to other mechanical jobs on Corvettes. I just re-covered my bucket seats including new foam. I didn't have the hook tool for grabbing/pulling the wires through the foam attaching to the seat frame so I used a pick tool instead. PITA! Lining up the seat cover ribs and the foam together so the fit is tight and straight - installing the black/chrome trim piece near the top of the seat and keeping it flat, PITA! Getting the two sides to meet in the back and have that plastic strip hold everything together, PITA! If there is a next time I just may sub this job out despite it's really expensive. The guys at Al Knochs make it look so easy. What job would make you think twice about doing it yourself (again)?

#4 ·
Anything that has to do with parking brake cables. Just hate those damn things for some reason.

#8 ·
Trailing arm bolts and rear shock mounts.

:cheers:

Rick B.

#10 ·
I've done all the wrenching on my cars since I was 16 years old. In my garage, I have installed ProCharger, Dewitts, Meziere, Hedders, Corsa, Z06 brakes, Flip Drive, Intake manifold, injectors, shifter, bla, bla, bla in my C6.
Now that I am older, and suffer from arthritis in my hands, I will still tackle just about any mechanical challenge.

Not saying that I'd love to see someone else under the car, but 2 things keep me from exploring that: (1) I'm cheap and just cannot see paying $100+/hour to see some kid beat on my car, and, (2) if do it, I know it's done right.

Plus, there is a satisfaction in doing your own work!

#13 ·
What about replacing a brake booster on a PB car. Even with the dash off you cannot get to the nuts. Have to be quite a few who have had to do this. Talk about a PITA!

Seems easy compared to laying on your back to modify a cross member. Sheeeeesh, that doesn't look like it was fun.

#15 ·
Honestly, the C3 has been somewhat easier to work on than the C4. It's all the "old car stuff" that you encounter than makes it a PITA (stripped bolt heads, etc).

Right now, I can say that ANYTHING under the driver side dash is my least favorite. Even with the seat out, there's not a ton of room to work.

#17 ·
I would have to say blasting out undneath the body of my car. Notice the white band on my left arm. I had just gotten stitches and had to wrap it in plastic. My right arm ( on the car ) is totally black with grease and gunk. I hung plastic in the garage floor to ceiling to contain the mess..

#22 ·
That is a great pic.......... Did anyone else notice the LS on the other side of the plastic? You can see part of the head, coil covers and what looks like headers? Is this the one you installed in your car or another lurking around waiting for more HP?

I don't see any grease on the ceiling, looks like it all came off on you. :D Sly: are you sure those are sox they look more like spats to me.

I had to do this on my build too and it was ugly.

#28 ·
Can't be spats or his toes would be black too. Might be some of those old Pat Boone "Buckskin Shoes"!!!:laughing:

Also I would like to add that even though I mentioned what a pain the TA's were in my previous post,I must say there was a true sense of accomplishment once they were all done and set up properly.(Thanks to Gary) Not nearly as much satisfaction with the interior R&R...

#23 ·
Heater core! I had paid the paint guy to replace it as he went, and he did...then as I get ready to put the hoses back on I use a little too much force and break-loose one of the necks so it starts to twist just a little...Rrrrrrr. I wasn't planning on replacing the whole interior, or even the carpet...but now since I have to pull EVERYTHING out it seems to get to the heater core myself, I might as well. Seriously 1972 Chevrolet Corvette engineer, could you not have made it a little esider to get to?

#24 ·
clemson,

Don't complain to much. It's been a long time but I believe some of the C3's (big block w/air, possibly others) require an engine pull to replace the heater core. Could be getting this confused with evaporator core, can't clearly remember. I don't think you can get the evaporator cover off it's mounts without removing the engine. Someone help me out here, I pretty sure I read that in one of the service manuals ...... :huh:

So PITA, you bet...... good one.

#25 ·
Have removed and replaced just about every part on several cars, including my present C3. Some are more time consuming than others, but none reach impossible. The key to working on these cars is having the correct and good quality tools.

#33 ·
Laying on my back looking through my bi-focals trying to get to that damn fuse block. GM really pissed me off,:nuts:. I want have that problem anymore, i'am installing a new fuse block in the compartment behind the seat when I get this thing rewired. I plan on making everything as accessible as possible when I go back together with it, including installing a ground bar and power bar under the hood for future projects. That huge AC system will be replaced with vintage air. Looks like to me they could have bolted the front clip on instead of gluing it. when I pulled the body the front fell off:WTF GM. One other PITA, trying to figure where all that heat was coming from. Turned out most of it was comming from the broken glue joints on the front clip and the seal was missing where the firewall meets the hood. If the glue joints are not sealed the engine compartment heat goes in the fresh air compartment and in the cabin. Ok i'am through ranting overall I love my Vette:D :cheers: Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.