Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

New Renderings - Dec 6th

23K views 85 replies 30 participants last post by  c6vettedude 
#1 ·
Not sure where these came from, but they were just posted on another forum.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hm. The nose just has a Ferrari "feel." And there's something a lil different about the rear that makes is a lil more tolerable. Subtleties. Just "something" about this exterior design that I can't quite put my finger on. It's almost like instead of trying to develop a new Corvette, they were trying to mish-mash a bunch of other styling cues from the automotive world into what we see here.

#3 ·
I agree. I can't put my finger on just what looks different, but this one looks a little better to me. I still think the car is too angular, which reminds me of the European super cars. But it seems that is the direction the car is going regardless.

#5 ·
Exactly, Chris.

#7 ·
:laughing: THATS why the design changed...the Tinters Union. BASTARDS!! :laughing:

Seriously, that thing looks like its gonna have a ton of mega-blindspots. Especially since no one knows how to properly set their side view mirrors. I know my C4 has almost no blindspots where someone can hide.

#12 ·
If you use your finger to cover up the tail-lights, the rear starts to look better.
:agree:
If I were in the aftermarket parts business, I'd be developing some alternate rear facias for this monstrosity. Two things that ruin this car are the rear facia and the rear quarter glass behind the doors. Both are hideous.

#13 ·
I think front of the chop is based off the Ferrari. The side vents look better but I think they are more C6ish than what we have seen before.

It's not ugly to me it's just got a lot going on. I still prefer the widebody c6 in looks.

I guess in a month or so we'll see how well the actually looks!

#15 ·
I think the front is VERY close to the real deal. Moving the front axle forward will cause the most forward body section to drop down more quickly to the front fascia. However, I think there is more of a "valley" between the front fenders and the center power bulge ... reminiscent of a C3. However, this view of the "base" Sting Ray includes the vent on top of the rear fender. We don't know for certain, but I think this will be exclusive to the Z??

The gansta tear drops appear smaller this angle and you can't see them at the sides of the taillights as they are in the CAD drawing. This angle makes them look smaller than from straight on.

Also the quarter window appears to be more pointed at the back.

Otherwise I think these renderings are pretty consistent with all we know about the C7.

#17 ·
:agree: and :rolling:

#18 ·
:crazy: I hope they did not pay anyone to design that car. Charity work? That thing looks like what the 80s threw up but the 90s didn't want. What are they thinking? They missed a basic design premise. Maintain unity. The front and the rear look like they came off of two different cars! Was there some kind of contest to see how many alternating angles could be placed into the design of the rear fascia. Horrible. Absolutely horrible. Was Tom Peters responsible for this? If so, it is very apparent the C6 was fluke and his true design capabilities lay in the realm of the Pontiac Aztek.:down:

#20 ·
Who to blame for the C7 exterior design:
Kirk Bennion = Exterior Design reports to...
Tom Peters = Head of C7 Design team (the first 2 generation designer since Bill Mitchell) reports to ...
Ed Welburn = The buck almost stops here
Tadge Juechter = as Corvette Chief Engineer, he can over ride any decision - design to a large extent.

Reactions: Fly03Z06
#19 ·
Certainly an Improvement...

... over the "other" C/D renderings. And thank goodness the teardrops are minimized. But still, that rear end... Early one morning, late in the clay model stage, didn't the first person to turn the lights on in the room look at that rear and drop their coffee?

#25 ·
I can't believe this is the C7. It really is just a mix of different vehicle designs put into one that just looks confused. I know it's been beaten to death but the rear is just bad. Everything from the Corvette lettering to the vents looks like it was a tacked on afterthought. Very disappointed but than again based on exterior design there is nothing in the chevy lineup I would purchase over another brand.

#27 ·
Thanks for chiming in. I guess I have single handedly beat this to death, but my goal, assuming the majority of us feel the same way, has been to make GM KNOW how unhappy we are and they should make themselves prepared if sales do drop off faster and deeper than they did with the C6.

If this happens, they might decide that an early life design update is required - 3-5 years into the gen.

I really have no idea if the sales will drop off faster than the C6, I just know there are a LOT of us who are unhappy and at least some of us who won't be spending $60k for a C7 with that rear end ... and side.

#29 ·
As a current Corvette enthusiast (have owned 3) and a young person (Age 25), I think they hit it spot on.

If they are trying to appeal to the younger demographic, they did just that! The more I see of this car the more I absolutely love it! I for one, cannot wait to get out there and buy one. Its a shame I just bought my most recent vette in July. It may be short lived if it looks this good.

I'm tired of people calling my car a grandpa car (I don't think gramps would be driving a '99 FRC 441LSX, but thats beside the point). All I can say is, move over ya old farts, this isn't Grandpa's Vette anymore. 1/13/13 can't come fast enough!

#43 ·
Youth Appeal

Well, your post provokes a lot of questions about both what it takes, design-wise, to appeal to a younger buyer and how the economics of that strategy work out.

I doubt GM can generate sufficient revenue on the Vette product by designing to a narrow demographic. Passing tastes and an aging population work against that.

There is also no doubt that truly timeless design has broad appeal, across generations and other demographic metrics. That's a demonstrable fact.

As an aside, I have to note that in monitoring all the forums, there is little enthusiasm for the looks of this car so far. It's early yet, but even the few defenders out there are hardly calling this a breakthrough, instant classic...

To the contrary, the most enthusiastic (other than you) are saying "...you'll get used to it..."

#33 ·
Not sure where these came from, but they were just posted on another forum.

I really don't understand why every one is bitching about the new ass. The corvette never had a sexy ass in it's life.

That C3 rear end is drop dead gorgeous, period, end of story. The C4 boring but not offensive. The C7 chaotic (though this rendering tones it down).

#34 ·
In truth I never got much "old mans car", 90% of young people loved the 'vette. The exception was those Japanese car guys, who really only like Japanese cars and possibly a handful of European selections. But they are aggressive and arrogant towards just about anything, except, I suppose, a tuned up STi or a GT-R.

Alot of younger people admire modern Vettes. They know about the good mileage, that you can take it to a strip, or to a track.

What the Vette lacks in my experience is street cred not among young people, but among the "image is everything" crowd, the crowd that would respect a 328i but scoff at a CTS-V, or love an R8 but scoff at a ZR1. The Vette's didn't get much love from that crowd in my experience.

#35 ·
Ill go ahead and say that I'd be willing to bet a large bar tab that the C7's rear will have those features, the teardrops, the weird-o taillights, and everything else that we've been shown, but that it won't look that discordant.

It will look 3x better in real life (which still wouldn't necessarily be good), just for not looking so jumbled and discordant. And as I don't have to often look at the back of my own car, I'll probably get over it. I already sold my C6 Z06 earlier this year, which was my last C6, and I wouldn't like to go a whole summer without a Vette.

#40 ·
Ill go ahead and say that I'd be willing to bet a large bar tab that the C7's rear will have those features, the teardrops, the weird-o taillights, and everything else that we've been shown, but that it won't look that discordant.

It will look 3x better in real life (which still wouldn't necessarily be good), just for not looking so jumbled and discordant. And as I don't have to often look at the back of my own car, I'll probably get over it. I already sold my C6 Z06 earlier this year, which was my last C6, and I wouldn't like to go a whole summer without a Vette.
:surprised We have all seen pictures with the "Camo" covering.
Hopefully, :thud: the Camo covering will also be provided as a low cost factory installed option and not only offered as dealer installed. :huh:

#41 ·
This looks more tolerable...OMG ! Maybe we are getting used to it, or getting over the shock factor. It does give us an idea how subtle changes to that original hideous design can be smoothed out to seem much more accepable... but i hope it doesn't look like a cheap hatchback... or subaru BRZ or 370Z or GTR or.... or... or... or anything but a corvette.

#50 ·
The latest rendering still shows a concave area between the tail lights, where clearly the CAD image shows this same area to be convex.

The rear in general has much more depth around the lights (more reminiscent of the Stingray concept) than the CAD image appears to. The CAD version will be better I believe as the result is a bit cleaner.

I am also curious to see if the base model will have all the "information" displayed that the high-performance version does that we see here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.