Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

c4 rear end in a c3?

18K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  phantomjock 
#1 ·
I had my 80 custom vette stolen, and recently recovered. it is in need of alot of attention. I am handing some of the custom work over to a friend of mine who owns Outlaw Customs in Portland Oregon. I have decided to have him widen the body 6 to 7 inches on each side. My homework he gave my is to find out if anyone has put a c4 rear end assy in a c3 and how much wider the c4 is to a c3. He told me the body could be done rather easely but he wanted to get the wheels as wide as I wanted first and he would fit the body to look right with the wheels, I want tires as close to 27inches tall and 13 to 14 inches wide so the offset would be to much with the stock width axles. can some one give me some info so I look like I know what I am talkin about when I go back to his shop. Thank You
Debi

#2 ·
A six or seven inch body width increase would be about right. I put a C4 suspension on my C3 frame, but I narrowed the suspension to fit the C3 trackwidth. I seem to recall that I cut about two and a half to three inches off each side to get the C4 suspension to sit where I could put stock C3 wheels in the wheel wells. A stock width C4 suspension should let you put some wide wheels on the car, as you now have the option of widening the wheels in and out.
Good luck, and be sure to post some pictures!

#3 ·
Awesome car!!

Sorry about your car, that sux!!!. I have no knowledge of putting a C4 rear on a C3. Is that the car that was stolen in your pics? That rear window is the sweetest thing i've ever seen done to a C3!!!!! I've always loved the 63 rear window, and very much disliked the 1980 bubble. Did you take that from a 63 or did you have it fabricated? How much did it run you? Is your car in any decent shape after the theft? How did that happen? Sorry again I can't help you out with the question. I'm sure there is someone here who has done that job, and can fill you in.
ThanX

#5 ·
C3 with 28" tall 325's on 11 inch with 4 inch backspace...

Go Wiiiiiiiiiiiddddddde :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:devil: :devil:

#8 ·
thankyou for the info, nice pics , and yes the white 80 with flames is the pic before she was stolen and the pic in gray and silver was what it looked like when recovered, the 63 splitwindow was cut off and a stock backglass was just bondoed in. I think to try and hide it, the 63 split window was made from factory replacement moulds it came in three pieces lt rt and window surround. Jon Stewart from Outlaw Customs widened each window 2 1/2" to get the proper look. the pic does not do it justice but it is the only painted one I had before it was stolen. If any one is interested I have lots of pics from start to primer but dont know how to get them small enough to post, and I can have Jon answer any technical ? as He is a good friend and loves to help. Thank You
Debi

#11 ·
not all manual c4s have a d44 (actually it's a super dana 44, the 80-82 is a dana 44. the super dana 44 uses a dana 60 sized 1.625" 29 spline pinion, same guts as the viper super dana 44 diff) all 84s have a D36. Also, not all sD44s are equal strong, the early cases although heavier are stronger than the later ones.

#12 ·
Good to know, thanks :thumbsup:. I remember hearing about '84's having the D36, I forgot about that detail :laughing: .

I would still take a D44 over a D36 and that was my original point.

Do you have cast numbers for the older D44? Where can I read up on the different D44's made for the C4? I hope I'm not being a pain in the ass , but this is the first time I heard of different D44's :laughing: . I'm curious because I'm in the middle of modifying my C4 (1993)and want to know if my D44 and ZF6 can handle about 400 to 450 Hp/tq. I was told that both can withstand around 500 hp/tq easily.

Anyway, Sorry to hi-jack this thread.

:cheers:

#13 ·
I have a super dana 44 in mine, just the diff though the rest is a home built double a arm IRS

The diff and trans will handle that, no problem. I don't know why the ZF is rated 450lbs for the black tag (made in Germany and some are stronger than others) and less for the blue tags (made in USA) and they are all less than a TKO 600. The TKO is a puny little transmission, the ZF is so much larger and everything's bulkier, kind of weird. I have a ZF6 in my car. I have a 90 black tag, the diff is an 86 super dana 44.

I don't have the casting numbers but there's a difference in the cases, they are easily recognised by the c beam mounting pad and some other differences. I'll post a pic when I get home, I think I have a comparison pic on my system there.

For more zf info, check out Bill Boudreau's site: http://www.zfdoc.com

#14 ·
Again, great information! Thank you :thumbsup:

I love this place. Lot's of good information here without the arrogant attitudes that other sites have.

I heard a C beam upgrades are good too, I need to use the search feature. I probably should ask this stuff in the C4 section so I don't piss anybody off :laughing: .

#17 ·
Awesome Wide Body!!

bikenlady!

Caught your YouTube video -- the car looks awesome. Hope you get to keep it a LOOONG time.

Obviously the C4 to C3 rear suspension idea worked out. :thumbsup:

Could you -- or Outlaw Customs - pass along some build pointers? That would be realy great. Just a question or 2 in the meantime:
1. Did they/you keep the fiberglass srear spring -- or go to coil overs?
2. Any major hurdles in making the mount ?
Other than you wanted to go wide body -- seems like the track of the c4 and c3 are within about 1/2 inch of each other -- seems very do-able.

Post some pics when yo have time -- the video is great-- but
pics make for a better "build-ideas-booklet."

TIA -- and Cheers - Jim

BTW its at : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O9jwcXuLS8

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.