Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

X-Pipe Confused

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  DebbieDoesMe 
#1 ·
Ok. I am confused as to what actually came on the C5 and why they are better or what...

My car has an X-pipe in the back that looks like it came off the car and it looks like the car has straight thru exhaust. Did the car come that way or did ithave an X-pipe that was removed or did the guy have it in the back in hopes of putting it on...

:huh:

#5 ·
You will gain some power with an X-pipe over an H-pipe. The X pipe will give you a more raspy exhaust. The H-pipe is more of an muscle car tone. A side not 99% of aftermarket exhaust for C5/C6 are made with X-pipe. That has to mean something.

#7 ·
Thanks Grumpy! That was a bit of a read but I know ALOT more about the X pipe. Some of it was above my head but I took away that it helps with the pulse equalization since the motor fires every 90deg. That then helps the scavaging affect that helps draw out more of th exhaust. All of which then brings a little crisaper tone.

I like the dual X pipe, but what are the pipes ends that protrude just past the headsers exit in front of the Xs for.... they look like they are just capped off...

Those confused me some what.

Also, the article says that three inch exhaust is the way to go but what I have found in the aftermarket have all been 1 7)8 (that question mark key doesn't work on my garage computer:laughing:).

I plan on getting a cold air intake and an actual BB intake manifold with thier throttle body. Would 3 inch be the way to go for me or would the 1 7)8 be the way to go to keep from getting the cherry exhaust when I do the cam...

Thanks a bunch.

:partyon:

#8 ·
I'm pretty sure you mean 1 7/8". That is the size of the header tubes off of the flandge that bolts to the cylinder head. The tubes on the header then form together into a 3" collector. From the collector on most aftermarket systems for the C5's the exhaust would be 3" to the cats, then step down to 2 3/4" to the X-pipe then bolt to the mufflers. If you plan on changing out the exhaust, with those mods you want to do, I would go with a full exhaust from headers with the 3" exhaust, to the X-pipe. Here is an examplehttp://www.melrosecorvette.com/97-00-corvette-ls1-header-system/ Good luck.

#10 ·
Thanks! Does the 3" diameter need to continue all the way to the mufflers or can you go down to whatever the muffler manufacturers make.

Also what muffs do you recommend for a muscle car sound. ( I dont like the riceer sound)

#11 ·
3" must continue to at least the (X) pipe
exiting into twin 2.5" past that point , is ok for most applications
a 3" collector has about 7.1 sq inches of cross section, a 2.5" has about 4.7 sq inches, so twin 2.5" exhaust is still going to reduce restriction, IF the mufflers are not restrictive
http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1730

#12 ·
#19 ·
I have LG long tube headers and a B&B Fusion exhaust. The mild to wild switch is good a keeping the peace with my wife, especially when on a longer trip on the highway.

Thanks to every one who mentioned the B&B Fusion exhaust. I did some research and altho this system is awesome, it is also above my pay grade. It is about twice as much as I am able to afford on the muffler side.

I recon on spending $1200 - $1400 on the long tube headers, free flowing cats, and possibly a double X-pipe ( one before and one after the cats), all in the 2 and 7\8 or 3" size. Then $650 to $750 on the muffler side.

Installed myself!

Thanks tho! :partyon:

#20 ·
B&B bullets. Budgets require 2 outlet( cosmetic is 4 tips black powder coat). 1.75" headers and hi flow cats and x pipe.

Bullets are $779 long tubes are $999 at southerncarparts.com. And the rest can be made or done at a REAL muffler shop for $300 dollars and 1 day labor ( $220).total $2500 with taxes. Your car will be like a new animal, UNBEILVEABLE. Ask around at your local race track. Some people will do it for trade ( their reputation and a good deal or a way to get away from their wife and get drunk in a garage.).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.