Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Where to buy automotive wire

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  HotRodJoe 
#1 ·
Doing some wiring for a few projects and want to use the best possible materials. Seems that cross linked PE insulation has some chemical and temperature advantages over regular old PVC insulation and isn't that much more expensive. Most online stores I've looked at have fairly high minimum quantities (at least 100 ft, sometimes 250) which even at $0.30 per foot adds up in a hurry when you're looking at 10 different colors and gauges.

Anyone have a good source for quality automotive wire and components?

#4 ·
I buy through serveral sources for particular reasons. Del City (delcity.org) doesn't have a min. order size and $99 or more is free shipping.
Wiring Products.com has has good pricng.
Deka (East Penn Manufacturing) has every wire gauge and type along with specialty products.
and Hopkins has everything you need to make trailering harness and conectors.

I use the above sites for specs and availability, but for the past year I have found everything is cheaper on Amazon.com or Ebay.com and I find any wire product made for sale on those 2 sites.

If you just wanted to run out to a local store I know Tractor Supply has the top 8 gauges and as little as 25 ft. rolls. Graingers has more but they sell what the others have above all together. All are rated RV, Tractor/Trailer and marine use and that's what you want.

#7 ·
great, thanks for the recommendations. I'll check out some of these places and hopefully get an order going soon.

#8 ·
after some quick review it looks like Jegs is the big winner. Best overall selection of colors and good prices, especially considering the smaller quantities. Funny that I never even thought to look there for bulk wire.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Now do any of you guys have personal experience with XLPE insulated wire? Do I want SXL or GXL? I read in a few places that GXL is more widely used than SXL, but I don't know how accurate that is. Any reason not to go with the thinner insulation?

#10 ·
I knew the designations referred to insulation thickness, just didn't know if there were pro's or con's to one or the other. Realized shortly after I posted that Jegs only has SXL, so I guess that takes care of that decision.

#11 ·
Regarding GXL/TXL wire. I looked high and low and then I found this thread.
I found a few problems:
1) I tried JEGS, but they couldn't sell me GXL or TXL wire. SXL only it seems.
2) I tried Del Taco (just kidding..del city). But Del's prices were a bit high for me to stomach and they didn't sell smaller quantities like 25 or 50 feet. Only 100 footers...way too much for me!

Here's what I found that worked; www.wirebarn.com has wire in AWESOME lengths, gages and prices.
They sell 8 packs and 6 packs of wire in 25 foot sections and a bunch of colors. I bought the 10 pack GXL wire in 18 Gauge and it is amazing wire!! Stuff doesn't melt even at 800 degrees F (and I mean the casing...outside of the wire, not holding on the copper). They also sell it by the foot (I bought some 14 gage 10 footers for my headlights). I'm rewiring my whole C2 and C3 Corvettes (and I mean the ENTIRE Vehicle wiring). Anyway, check out WireBarn and tell them the Corvette Forum sent you. The great thing is that their wire is Made in USA!!! yeah, baby! I love EVERYTHING made in USA...
Here's the link to the one I actually bought. It's 10 colors.
http://www.wirebarn.com/10-Pack-18-...llowBrown-White-Orange-Pink-Violet_p_190.html

#12 ·
Hey Joe, welcome to the site, and THANKS for that link! Your timing couldn't be better as I'm getting close to the wiring stage of this wiper door project. :thumbsup:

#13 ·
Being a lifelong electrician I personally use MTW wire. It has the PVC insulation, is extremely flexible lives well at over 200 degrees and is oil and water resistant. I believe that's the same insulation use in automotive wire and it's available locally at any electrical supply house. About half the price of automotive wire, same specs and is available in a gazillion colors.

#14 ·
just stumbled across this place as well:
http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/wire.aspx

It's TXL rather than GXL and a bit more expensive ($0.40 per foot rather than $0.14 per foot at wirebarn.com) but they have just about every color and stripe combo you could imagine. They have 14 different base colors in 18 gauge and several striped versions of each! That's a LOT of options, and the 10 foot minimum is very doable.

#16 ·
@1963SS Please don't take this as a bash because I love MTW wire too but it's not the best choice for autos/trucks. I found out the hard way. I had some wiring melt a few years ago and it started my mustang on fire....burned down to the seat coil springs. Found out if I had chosen GXL or TXL wire I probably would have been OK..but who knows for sure.

Automotive wire is not the same as MTW. MTW, as you know is PVC, whereas cars don't come with any MTW type wire (that I am aware of anyways). It is all cross-linked polyethelyne plastic covered (mostly GXL and TXL).

The auto store stuff is also PVC but it mostly does not meet the good specifications that the american made MTW wire does. PVC melts much easier when soldering...the casing "wicks away" and you see more wire exposed as you solder. GXL/TXL wire does not do that. It won't melt at all. MTW is decent, but melts at between 90C and 105C cmpared to 125C for GXL and TXL. That's about 40F to 50F difference I believe.

But I love MTW wire. I bought an 8 pack from wirebarn for my trains. I used it also for my huge electric train sets I have. Don't laugh at me and my trains now (I also used it in my new CNC wood router I built). :laughing:

wirebarn listed the specifications for MTW and the GXL and TXL wire. This I found really helpful.
Chart with Temperature Ratings (not that I understand it all, but I get the temperature ranges)::D
http://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Selection-Guide-_ep_29.html
They also have a Wire Calculator on their site also which I found very useful since I am a total dummy on sizing this stuff right: :smack
http://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator_ep_41.html

I like that wirebarn states US made wire:partyon:...I am DONE with *********** crap that always fails, melts, breaks. I quit "chinging it" on my vettes while ago. Also, Wirebarn pricing was about the same as Napa and Autozone and it's the good stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.