Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

More Leaked Pics 12-23-12

22K views 106 replies 41 participants last post by  Z06Fiend 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Notice, in the final picture....This must be the base model. Notice the spoiler/3rd brake light. This is the first time we have see this.

#4 ·
This is the Base model

This is the High Performance model

#5 ·
This should get everyone going.....

2014 Corvette

1990 Corvette

#7 ·
It doesn't look much like a Corvette, especially from the back. There's no heritage, no stylistic nods to the past. I don't like the sad-clown-face Camaro taillights at all; the back end in general is way too busy, too many doo-dads. The corvette is supposed to be a simple shape. It looks like the interior has been completely revamped, but it doesn't have much organic flow or a unifying theme, just a bunch of mismatched shapes and angles at odds with each other. The side view is especially disappointing. I can just imagine driving through town and hearing people say "is that the new Camaro?"

What I like most about the C6 is the repetition of shapes and curves, from the outside to the inside, and the simplicity of its design; I'm not seeing this design theme in the C7. I hope these C7 illustrations are simply earlier design iterations, and not the final product.

I suppose I'll reserve judgement until the final reveal in January, but I'm really not liking this at all. Oh well, I completely skipped the C5 since I never found it visually appealing, I suppose I could do the same with the C7 if it really turns out to be this ugly.

#12 ·
It doesn't look much like a Corvette, especially from the back....There's no heritage..... It looks like the interior has been completely revamped, but it doesn't have much organic flow or a unifying theme....The side view is especially disappointing.

I agree on all these points my friend!

I know the interior will use much better materials, but that is a stupid design. Just stupid.

And we get just what every high performance car has been begging for: MORE buttons on the steering wheel !!!! :WTF

I do think they were going for the 1990 look, but the interior design doesn't seem to have ANY cohesiveness to it. As Chris Bangle would say: "It challenges the viewer"

#13 ·
This was my favorite set of drawings/sketches/renders yet.

What I didn't like: I'm just not feeling the overly busy rear. Its not the taillights and their shape, its the crying cartoon eyes that surround them. It just looks kind of silly. And there are just too many lines. I sure hope they break up part of the back by leaving it a different color. That looks just amazing on the back of an F430, or even a Veloster.

I wish the underhood sketch showed a chassis brace, like the Vipers. :(

What I liked: I love that the interior is still curvy and swoopy like the C6s. I guess I'm the only guy on the planet that liked the C6 interior, but unsupportive seats aside, I loved it. It was a little low-rent without the 4lt or 3lz leather treatment, but it worked. Everything was in the right place, it was a great place to sit. And it looked good in the higher trim levels. All it needed was better seats and materials, an I'm guessing we are getting those. And a better sound system, but we are stuck with Bose. :down: It looks like they took what I liked in the C6 and made it better. :D

The instrumentation an information displays look to be just unbelievable if this information is accurate.

The rear, even if I can't quite feel it, came together about 5x better in those sketches than any other so far. Thats encouraging. And, as mentioned above, there is always black. Black can save alot of designs.

I'd say its fairly clear that the teardrop part of the taillight thing is an outlet vent for whatever the vents on the fenders draw in. Tranny cooler or something?

The features described are pretty much awesome. Should I put up a thread about those?

#20 ·
The rear end is drawing some cues from the Stingray concept (Sideswipe) as well. Perhaps this is the reason.

FWIW, the concept car got a LOT of positive comments from the public. For good or for bad, GM took this to heart when they designed the C7.

#26 ·
Most likely these images are from the owners manual. They often show all possible configurations together like that just for the purpose of being easy and not needing 2 pictures.

#27 ·
I personally don't think it looks much like a Camaro at all. Even after first seeing the Jalopnik rendering months ago, I didn't think it looked much like a Camaro, and these latest images look even less like a Camaro.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, I see it as more of an homage to the C4. This rear end looks less like a Camaro than a '70 C3 looks like a '70 Camaro. In 1970, the Camaro and Corvette had a nearly identical rear end... they were much more similar to each other than the C7 and fifth-gen Camaro.

#28 ·
The images have been removed from their original post of the other forum. the poster was sent a message saying someone's job could be in danger.

Too little too late....it's spread like a virus throughout the internet.

This is the new GM - C7 is the worst kept secret in GM history.

#31 ·
My buddies wife, who is kinda up on cars, actually said that it looks like a camaro! I don't think there are many DC forum members who would say that, but there will be a lot of people out there who will be asking that question... much to the irk of many C7 owners... then they will have to explain how it's a corporate look and all....it will start pissing them off after a while!

#33 ·
I personally thought they would throw some C4 touches into this car all along. The digital dash of the C4's is what made me fall in love with Corvettes as a kid originally.

20 more days.....

#41 ·
After seeing these illustrations, I have changed my mind about the C7!

I think it looks great! It's new looking, a bit crazy styling, not afraid to venture out into new territory, and I say, GOOD. I don't want a warmed over C4, or C5, or C6.5, whatever. I like the departure, it speaks of a new era. It's a bit like a spaceship. Can you imagine what people thought when the 1967 model came out? They probably thought the sky was falling back then.

The tailights don't look too much like a Camaro to me anymore. They are deeper inset, and have more of an "italicised" look to them, as someone said.

And what does it matter what any girl says? My next door neighbor thinks my 2001 Viper GTS looks like a Corvette. She goes "How is your Corvette?" Most of then can't tell what they are looking at anyway. (not all of them, just a lot of them) So what does it matter how a girl perceives your car? Unless you get something that speaks instant volumes of recognition and money, like a Ferrari, girls won't even know what kind of car you got anyhow, nor care who you are. The incremental status difference between Camaro ownership and Corvette ownership isn't going to get you laid, or score huge points. It just shows you got 4 more shekles in your pocket, but it's still roughly a middle class car. It's not like someone won't think you got a yacht in the harbor at Monaco, because your tailights look faintly reminiscent of a Camaro.

Buy what you like, drive it hard, enjoy your life. I know I will. I think it's the best looking Corvette since the C3! Just one man's opinion....

#42 ·
...I think it looks great! It's new looking, a bit crazy styling, not afraid to venture out into new territory, and I say, GOOD. I don't want a warmed over C4, or C5, or C6.5, whatever. I like the departure, it speaks of a new era. It's a bit like a spaceship...

Buy what you like, drive it hard, enjoy your life. I know I will. I think it's the best looking Corvette since the C3! Just one man's opinion....
:agree:

#45 ·
I do get where people disappointed in this design are coming from, while I think the recent drawings (this thread) are the best its looked, its somewhat perplexing. The taillight, mascara, cartoon thing is a take on Sideswipe, but one that in these drawings missed all the drama of the Stingray concept and looks, so far, kind of odd.

But I would offer that if the Vette kept looking like a C5 or C6, eventually it would die. That look would be hopelessly lost and outdated in 20-30 years, just like any classic design from the 60's would be today. Are those designs beautiful? For sure. Would they sell in 2013? Not sure at all.

And if some of the technical, not design, details of the C7 leak prove to be true, then ultimately the design of the C7 will be immortalized. Because so, so often designs are considered striking because the car they adorned was considered great.

Is an Enzo beautiful? Boy I'm not sure. But I bet myself and 99.5% of car lovers who will ever read this thread would drool over one, for what it is, not for how it looks. The GT-R is admired by some for what it is, not for how it looks.

If the car is good enough the design will come to be loved. Thats how this whole thing works. If the car is bad enough, no amount of design prowess will allow it to be considered beautiful. The two are intertwined, with the greatness of the car coming first.

Just $0.02.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.