Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

body off

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Sly Vette 
#1 ·
Just pulled the dash pad today and am going to pull the steering column so that I can clean and paint it. Hopefully sometime in January or February I'll be taking the body off to clean, paint, and repair and frame issues that might be lurking. Stay tuned for more as I begin this journey. I'll post pics sometime this week of current status.

#3 ·
Mark is going to send me measurements on his rotisserie sometime in the next few weeks. I'd rather build my own and add "custom" features:D

I'm smoothing out the bottom side of the hood so that it's just as slick as the top side.

#7 ·
I've crawled under it and looked....still have number 3 & 4 to look at. For 5 years I've been cleaning out rust from #2 where my windshield had leaked water for over 5+ years. I'm going to be thorough in my "investigation" before pulling as if I don't have to I won't, but if it requires attention I will.

#8 ·
Hey Kyle, it will be cheaper to buy a rotisserie than build one. The only way it would be cheaper is if you had the metal laying around like I did. There are very nice ones out there for less than a grand (check Eastwood.com). Just thought I would throw that in because the price of metal is through the roof. :cheers: Mark

#9 ·
:agree: There's another option out there, a long shot, but WORTH checking into.

Most body shops have one or more rotisseries and they don't always have them all in use. I could be beneficial to talk to an owner and ask if you can rent one for your project.

Obviously you'd need to be very specific about your project timetable and probably have a deposit charged, but if they allow it the rental fee would likely be many times cheaper than purchasing one and you wouldn't have to worry about storing it when you're all done.

#10 ·
I get magazines and emails from Eastwood everyday nearly and they have some nice stuff. Between the company I work for now and the one I worked for I probably can come up with all the material needed, but if not I'll check into Matt's idea of renting one. Thank-you both:cheers:

#12 ·
Sometime soon I'll be buying the materials to build my rotisserie and weld it all up. I can buy the square stock for wholesale price at around $.50 per pound, or whatever current market price is. I'll keep you all updated on progress as it happens. Sorry I haven't got the pictures up as my laptop has been acting crazy, and has been super slow as it's pretty old technology wise.

#15 ·
I'll post pics tomorrow. I finally removed the main harness and 90% of the ds interior. I removed the seat and seat belt assembly along with carpet. I took many pics so I'll put as many as I can fit.

#17 ·
When I get closer to the install I'll have a few questions for you as this will be first auto to manual swap and I need some guidance on hooking up the electrical on the tranny. I'm going to use the vss from the trans as I'm going to install electronic gauges.

#19 ·
Enjoy the pictures:thumbsup:

The engine that will become the SC 383. It's a 80 model C20 truck block that came from an old GMC of mine.

The ps dash and center console detailed before storage

The back of the speedo and tach

A relay of some sort

Engine and lighting harness where it plugs into the fuse box

Main harness while it's still in the car

A/C and heater vacum parts

Bracket that bolts onto the steering column bracket and pedal bracket assembly

DS seat and carpet removed

DS view with the shifter removed

Main harness with fuse box

PS seat and carpet removed

#21 ·
Probably AFR 200cc runner and 72cc combustion chamber as I'll be running a supercharger. I'm going with a Lunati retrofit roller Voodoo cam. I'll continue documenting progress as I go along. Fixing to remove all engine wiring and start draining coolant as I'll begin pulling all the A/C and heater parts both inside and outside. Then after that the engine and transmission. I'm selling my race built Turbo 400 from the car so that that money can be used on the build.

#23 ·
I'll post more pictures tonight. I just boxed up the DS dash area, and am about to start cleaning up parts so that I can decided what to keep, sell, and thro away. The front and rear suspension(excluding front spindles, rear bearing support hubs, and parking brake hardware), whole drivetrain and engine harness(excluding the diff and it's parts), whole braking system, and whole exhaust system is for sale as I'm going to be putting on parts that I always wanted but never had the time or money to do so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.