Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Performance shifter

6K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  tektrans 
#1 ·
Can anyone suggest an aftermarket performance shifter to suit TH 350 that does not require modifying the original c3 console ?

#4 ·
I was sure he meant shift, referencing the console. A shift kit wouldn't have much to do with that at all. :thumbsup:

I can understand wanting to move between gears quicker, maybe more crisp shifts...but I wouldn't really call that a performance thing.

#6 ·
The only thing I would consider a preformance shifter for an auto would be a ratchet shifter. Which is a pull, pull, pull to down shift, and a push, push, push to up shift. B&M some good ones. I have one on a 700R4 that works very nicely.

#7 ·
Thanks guys, I posted late last night and then went to bed, it looks like you got me sorted without my involvement :laughing:

Ok, the standard shifter is either worn or just crap, the TH 350 is stage 3 full manual valve body and is behind the 383 and running 3.75 diff gears...it changes hard.

I have the b&m megashifter in my camaro and I love it, but the wife finds it too hard ( old shoulder injury torn rotacuff ) and she drives the vette more than I do.

The standard shifter shifts from 2nd to 3rd ok but not 1st to 2nd, and I am worried she's going to accidentally put it into neutral or reverse.

What I want to do is install a ratchet shifter that locks out neutral and reverse that is very easy to shift and will install in the original console.

Opinions welcome

#8 ·
I personally like the feel of the stock shifter. It locks and moves smoothly, but it's also in good shape and not worn out.

If yours is worn, it's hard to make an accurate comparison. New springs, gate, pin, and bushings would probably go a LONG way to both staying usable for your Wife and giving you that quality shift feeling you're longer for.

You can buy almost everything you need to rebuild the shifter from our Corvette vendors and it's fairly cheap and easy to do.

On a side note, I plan on shortening my shifter. I have to install a gate for a TH200R4 and when I have it apart I am going to cut down the shaft and rod about an inch. I think the shorter throw will feel very good.

#9 ·
I like the idea of that actually. I have been planning on changing out my shifter for that very same reason. Just to have one that doesn't make me feel like something out of an Ed Roth cartoon.

I'd like to see how this is done. I haven't had my shifter apart yet, but with the button on top I guess I figured it not possible to do that.

#10 ·
Talking about the shortening? Yeah it's super easy, and all you need is a small pip cutter, a cutoff wheel, and dies to thread the rod and shaft.

Basically, I'll measure an inch down the tube, and use the tube cutter to cut it. Then thread it the same depth as stock. Next, measure an inch down on the rod, and use the cutoff wheel to cut it. Thread it to stock depth.

The rest is reassembly, and since the button and ball are thread on, and the spring just sits under the button, it'd be a simple process.

I think it could be done without even taking the shifter assembly out of the car. I am going to have it out to change the gate though but I don't see a reason why the cutting and threading couldn't be done where the shifter sits as long as you have the room to spin the pipe cutter and dies.

#15 ·
I have the B&M mega shifter for a 82-92 Fbody in my vette and it did require modifying the console, it was done by the po and it was damaged anyway so no big deal. I havent found one that will work with stock console, so I am thinking about fiber glassing a console this winter if i have time.

#18 ·
Kacyc3, I have the mega in my Fbody camaro and have used the mega shifters in other cars also, they r great but the corvette console is like new so I don't want to cut it up n modify.
Ive checked out the b&m pro stick dimensions and I think I can get it to fit, I can also get several different types of handle to suit, the one I like is a classy billet style. I'll keep a look out for your post when you customize your console. Cheers.

#24 ·
Thanks for that, I've saved the images for reference.

Was at Rocket open day yesterday (be like summit open day)
And think I have changed my mind to the b&m Magnum grip pro bandit - bit more expensive may have to save a bit longer but had a feel of it in a rod and feels good.

The mounting mechanism looks smaller than the pro stick too, either way ime changing the shifter but I might have to buy or make a boot to finish off.

Ime thinking it's going to be a project for the new year, when I do install I will post the photos and pro's n con's for others.

In the meantime I have lots of those annoying little things to sort out for the nationals in early January, so between now and then I have about zero spare time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.