Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

The Car is Packed and CEurope Awaits

59K views 254 replies 20 participants last post by  jack panzica 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Forum Members......

I am going to spend the next two months doing research for a possible trip to Europe with my 66 Roaster.

I will attempt to drive to as many countries as possible in a 8 week period. Late August to October 2012

My goal will be to see and meet as many owners of classic corvettes in Europe as possible. Same format as my 48 state trip, back roads, stops at members houses, visits to castles, car collections , beaches, beer, wine, cheese and other continental wonders.

I will seek out "rare corvettes " that have found a home in Europe.

I will document this trip with pictures, posts and video for a possible documentary TV pilot project .

My posts over the next few months will contain information on the following subject:

Car preparation
Insurance
Shipping/ Air Travel
Travel permits
Routes
Gas / Oil Needs
Legal Passport Travel Permits
Forum Member Locations Car Locations
Mechanical Support Abroad
Family and Financial Support

As you can see, there are many factors that must be addressed in order for this trip to take place.

So buckle up your seat belts and get ready for a ride that "Buzz and Todd " would be proud of.......

Jack

Important ...... European Owners........

If you would like me to visit you , your car club and your car (s)

All generation corvettes are welcome ....

Please PM me with your location in Europe...... I will only put the town or nearby city on the map. Not your addresses........

As the map fills with with dots (locations) I will be able to draw a real route.

The map below will be the projected route. It covers most of Europe and will be the map that I will add the locations .

This will be the map you will click on to see trip progress. It may take a few moments to load.......

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...82,14.238281&spn=40.242802,133.066406&t=m&z=3

I better get cracking on my languages..........

See less See more
#137 ·
Photos of European Trip

I hope everyone got through the Holidays OK. It is a bit chilly in Maine with temps around 0* at night.

I have been uploading photos of the European Trip and you can now view hundreds of them on my web site

http://www.corvettevagabond.com/ .

Go to the European Trip page and click on the slide show or individual pictures. I will be uploading pictures for days to come , so you can check out the new ones every day.

Some samples from Netherlands, Norway and Belgium :

#138 ·
Sunday Ride and Portland Headlight Maine 2013

The Sun was out this morning and off to the gym and Portland Headlight, one of the most photographed light houses in the world. Located in Cape Elizabeth , at Fort Williams , Maine

Downtown Portland going to World Gym for PT.

#139 ·
Update of Corvette Vagabond Journey Photos

Hello to all,

More photos posted on web site http://www.corvettevagabond.com/ . I have added Switzerland. Finland, France, Germany to follow . I hope you enjoy the photos.

Some samples

#140 ·

The weather has been dry and driving has been fun the last few days.
I have added more photos to the http://www.corvettevagabond.com/ site. Germany has joined the list with Netherlands additions. France will be added soon along with many more of Germany and Scandinavia, with Finland coming on soon.

Samples of a get together in Germany and a Netherlands NCRS red corvette.

#142 ·
#143 ·
I may drive to Michigan this winter

Hold on to your hats fellas, I have to go to Michigan to work on my TV project next month. (February)

My family is against my driving my 66 roadster to MI (Detroit) in the winter. I don't see any big deal not to .

I put good snow tires on and just like 40 years ago when I went skiing, one big 850 mile skid.

What route do you think I should take from Maine?

Jack

Attachments

#144 ·

I have added more photos to www.corvettevagabond.com . Germany and France. Nuremberg Sat. Night Cruise and Corvette Gang of France Beach Fest .

Enjoy

#145 ·

have added photos from Finland to my www.corvettevagabond.com website.

The photos from Brittany are next. So many great shots to chose from .

Here are a few samples. I will be adding more as the weeks go by.

Thanks for all the great memories :D

Finland

#146 ·
2012 Trip

It is real cold today in Maine. I thought it would be fun to re-post many of the photos from my 48 state trip, as I work on the book / TV project.

Looking at them, brings back many great memories, some good, some bad, but all exciting ! I will post several daily for the next few weeks, as I am recovering from minor foot surgery.

I hope you enjoy them and if you have some interesting photos or video of my visit to you or your event, let me know.

I am continuing to add photos to the European 2012 Tour at www.corvettevagabond.com

Jack

#147 ·

As I wait for the Patriots / Ravens football game on TV later, I thought I would add more photos of my trip to the www.corvettevagabond.com website. The area covered is southwest France, Brittany, Normandy, Paris and beyond.

Here are a few samples

#148 ·
What do you think of this statement ?

I would like to re post part of a reply to me on my http://www.corvettevagabond.com/ website from a German C2 owner , on the German Corvette forum. He is now in Fla. at the NCRS event and Mecums , taking in American car culture.

" On your homepage you wrote about the European:"

"...their kinship towards American muscle cars and the iconic Corvette was similar, but different than in the U.S."

" I'd like to know what's exactly the difference?"

I wrote back to him explaining some of my opinions based on my experiences. He wrote back. Speaking about the difference , using my trip as an example.

(he is speaking about Germany , but it could be any of the countries I visited)

"And, in my opinion, it was that courage "state of mind" makes the USA so special that time. (50's-70's) In my childhood people had more fear and it was a bit boring.

"Before a big project (like your EU-trip)"

" Many Germans would asking, what all could go wrong if they do this."

"The US people asking, what all they would miss," " if they don't do it."

Makes you think about America and gives you some insight on how some other people view us.

Jack

ps drive your car , it will love you for it

#149 ·
Update of Corvette Vagabond Journey Photos Europe 2012

Good Day everyone,

I have uploaded more photos to the www.corvettevagabond.com website of the 2013 European Tour.

The countries visited are Netherlands and Belgium. More of the Netherlands including the famous "Dutch Collection" later.

Sample photos:

#150 ·

This time we are off to the Bielefeld and Paderborn area of central Germany. Many thanks to the members of the www.corvetteforum.de for hosting me and treating me to the local site.

Hundreds of pictures are now available at my website www.corvettevagabond.com

Here are some samples:

#151 ·

This time we are in Northern Germany in the Hamburg area, along with some Berlin fun. About 750 photos are now posted to my website www.corvettevagabond.com.

Enjoy, here are few samples. The car collection belongs to Jens , of Hamburg.

#152 ·
American and European Corvette Owners

This is a post by a Corvette Owner and corvette forums member. I thought I would share it with you. This is a common theme of posts about my trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olustee bus
The more photos I see, the more fascinating that experience must have been. I am still enjoying your sharing it with us.

Take care.

Hi Buster,

The experience was very similar to my 48 State Trip, but different .

It was the difference, that made it so interesting, challenging, stressful and at times, absolutely beyond imagination

The welcome by (Europeans Corvette Owners) and the desire to be part of a journey of this crazy American, (my trip, life style of travel ) that most only fantasize about, was the same as the many US hosts on my 48 state jouney.

Corvette owners, like yourself, who helped me, and doing so, became part of the trip and rode along with "The Corvette Vagabond" on a historic trip.

I am working very hard on the TV and book project. We shall see.

We all will "traveled down the less traveled road" together

Jack

PS Hundreds on photos at this link. You have to wait a few seconds for the photos to load. http://www.corvettevagabond.com/12_C...opean_Tour.php

#153 ·
Sound test for videos

Hi, the sun was out and I am trying to capture the sounds of the car for videos. I kept the car under the speed limit in Germany

Jack

Just click on photo and video will run . Let me know about the sound , thanks

#154 · (Edited)
Ride after Blizzard of 2013

We survived the blizzard here on Cape Cod. 80 mph winds and 17 inches of heavy wet snow. Lots of trees down. We were without power for almost 3 days. Finally back on and cleaning up. The generator and John Deere along with the chain saw are helping. Lots of coastal damage.

How did you fare up there Jack?
We survived, and now it is fun time.

Lots of snow, but the sun is out and off we go . Just click on words , Corvette Vagabond Snow ride on picture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5tZA62Aafk

#155 ·
Mud Racing

The sun was out and I thought it would be a good day for a ride in New England. I think there was a little too much sun, well that is what a fire hose is for, to clean your car after a nice February 15 ride in Maine.

If I am not careful, I could wind up here !

Back in the man cave , nice and clean

#156 ·

Attachments

#157 ·
Nice day for a ride

Good Afternoon to all,

The weather in Maine is beginning to get better. I thought I would go for a ride.

Club of Norway hat, Corvette Gang France jacket, Corvette Club of France scarf, Corvette Club of Finland shirt, and underwear by Calvin Klein. Car running great , DigitalCorvetteForum members.

#158 ·
French C3 Race Team needs help

Hi , I hope winter ends soon.

Most of you are familiar with my trip to Europe last fall.

I had the chance to meet many corvette owners and race teams. One of the teams that I met in France is building a C3 for race competition in Europe.

They asked me to post their site and if any of my US friends would like to comment and or make suggestions on the build, they would appreciated it.

The site is in French and English. More and more US muscle cars are being shipped to Europe and our experiences with these cars will help them a lot.

Here is a link to the site http://corvetteracerteam.com/

Let me know what you think and if they are on the right track

Jack

#159 ·
Took the trim off today

Many of you have followed my travels in the US and Europe over the last 3 years. Last spring I had to replace the windshield that was hit by a stone near Park City UT.

It was the 3rd windshield since car was new. I replaced original in 1976, could not see through (150,000 miles) on car, it lasted until 2012, about 150,000 miles.

In my rush to get the car ready for the European trip, we put the windshield in and followed right away with the trim. In hindsight, not a good idea. Lots of sealer and glue and junk, you are in a hurry and the job did not come out looking good. No leaks , but I was ruff with taking it off, put some bends in it, did not get the front piece centered, etc.

Well I got inspired by 65Rush (Jim) replacement and polish job on his trim.

I called over a friend and in less then an hour we had it off. The biggest mistake I made , and maybe others that have problems putting trim on , is too much sealer when installing windshield. Over concern with sealing everything. (too much around clips) etc.

Taking off trim is not hard, just have to do it in the right order. Take out every screw first that hold trim, latches, mirror etc. Trim screws, do not have to take off trim in front of pad.

Take off inside piece first (mirror) part, next top piece after gently pulling side pieces away from cage. (4 5/16 speed nuts 2 reg nuts hold trim) You must take of side pillar rubber first and mounting plate for trim.

You can then side out side pieces from front trim, next release the front trim with tool

I will post tomorrow a few pictures of the tool in action. Most have problems because they do not understand how the tool works to release trim.

Installation , have to wait until trim is done but....before putting trim on. I will talk about a order of installation later.

It is important to make sure the clips are free of sealer so they can grab the trim around the front windshield. Also , I found the grove of the front trim to be clogged with gunk, gunk in the grove, keep the clip from locking in place.

I am debating doing the polish myself, but don't feel good about it.

I hope this helps some of the new members who may be thinking of doing this job

Jack

Pictures

Trim off ready for repair and polish

Birdcage too much sealer

Before defects

#164 ·
Trial Fit of Trim

Many of you have followed my travels in the US and Europe over the last 3 years. Last spring I had to replace the windshield that was hit by a stone near Park City UT.

It was the 3rd windshield since car was new. I replaced original in 1976, could not see through (150,000 miles) on car, it lasted until 2012, about 150,000 miles.

In my rush to get the car ready for the European trip, we put the windshield in and followed right away with the trim. In hindsight, not a good idea. Lots of sealer and glue and junk, you are in a hurry and the job did not come out looking good. No leaks , but I was ruff with taking it off, put some bends in it, did not get the front piece centered, etc.

Well I got inspired by 65Rush (Jim) replacement and polish job on his trim.

I called over a friend and in less then an hour we had it off. The biggest mistake I made , and maybe others that have problems putting trim on , is too much sealer when installing windshield. Over concern with sealing everything. (too much around clips) etc.

Taking off trim is not hard, just have to do it in the right order. Take out every screw first that hold trim, latches, mirror etc. Trim screws, do not have to take off trim in front of pad.

Take off inside piece first (mirror) part, next top piece after gently pulling side pieces away from cage. (4 5/16 speed nuts 2 reg nuts hold trim) You must take of side pillar rubber first and mounting plate for trim.

You can then side out side pieces from front trim, next release the front trim with tool

I will post tomorrow a few pictures of the tool in action. Most have problems because they do not understand how the tool works to release trim.

Installation , have to wait until trim is done but....before putting trim on. I will talk about a order of installation later.

It is important to make sure the clips are free of sealer so they can grab the trim around the front windshield. Also , I found the grove of the front trim to be clogged with gunk, gunk in the grove, keep the clip from locking in place.

I am debating doing the polish myself, but don't feel good about it.

I hope this helps some of the new members who may be thinking of doing this job

Jack

Pictures

Trim off ready for repair and polish

Birdcage too much sealer

Before defects

I got home and unwrapped the polished trim. I will do a post on Back Bay Customs, a great mod-hot rod shop, that helped me out with polishing.

I wanted to trial fit the trim. The front piece must be placed so that equal distance of ends are under side trim , for trim to fit in corners.

I put on the top piece first, followed by the outer side trim only, with only one screw to hold it to birdcage loosely.

I put one end of front trim into side piece to get right distance under trim. I clipped down 1/4 of front so I could mark trim and having marked windshield , I had a mid point to always line up front piece for later final fit.

I had no trouble with clips catching as I cleaned out the space between rubber and front fiberglass, as stated in earlier post.

There still is a slight problem in the corners , as the rubber does seem to bow out a bit, pushing the trim away from the body, the clips catch but there is a gap. I am not going to fix the rubber. no leaks in windshield. I will fill it with a flexible sealer.

I hope this helps others in trim work. Total time to put trail fit about 1 hour. Should take about the same for final fit. It helps to have two people , one on each side to slide side pieces into place with front at same time. Or, if you start on one side as I did, get two or three clips to catch, then go middle an lock down center two clips , go back and finish one side and work your way to other side, stop about two clips from end, side in side piece with front, push together and down, screw in side piece , all should be clipped.

Again, there must be enough space between rubber and fiberglass to push trim edge in far enough to catch clip. With new clips, get one to catch , look at it , and see how it catches. You must get it in same position alone the front for clips to grab trim. I have original clips , so it was lack of space , that would hinder clipping, not clips.

Now I have to take it all off, side pieces first, slide them out from front trim, get first clip to release and off you go.

I will post pictures of removal as I have to finish cleaning up excess sealer from the windshield install last year.

#160 · (Edited)
The famous "Dutch Corvette Collection" & Le Mans

The trip to Le Mans is shaping up. A little background; Ruud Zeller, a member of the Dutch NCRS Chapter, had generously offered me a ride to the races in his beautiful '63 roadster. Due to timing, I was not able to accept, and of course, another lucky person will be riding with Ruud.

In the meantime, the Corvette Club of France extended me an invitation to the race, including a prime parking spot.

In the spirit of Corvette fellowship, Andre Boer of the Netherlands and owner of the famous "Dutch Collection" has helped sponsored my return to Europe and to drive one of his cars, a C-5 from the Netherlands to Le Mans. (home cooked meal included)

This gesture exemplifies the passion for Corvettes in Europe and the USA. Cooperation like this will keep the 60 year Corvette legacy going well into the future.

Check-out Andre's collection (link here), I guarantee you'll want to go along for the ride.

More details to follow.

http://www.autobedrijfandreboer.nl/

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2012/12/21/video-dutch-corvette-collection-is-europes-largest/

Andre 2012 Corvette Vagabond European Tour

Next Generation working on Corvettes son Johan and Grandson

#161 · (Edited)
Corvette Club Norway Magazine Article

I would like to share some photos of the Corvette Club of Norway Magazine. Great photos of activities in Norway and a little article on my trip to Norway last fall. Thanks to all the Vikings for their wonderful hospitality and a lots of 700 hp blown cars.

Many are coming to America July 1, 2013. Over 100 vintage American cars are being shipped to NYC USA for a Lincoln Highway Tour, from Times Square NYC to SF, California on the Lincoln Highway 100 year old celebration.

I hope to be back from Le Mans on June 26, and drive from Maine to NYC to lead them out the Lincoln Tunnel to New Jersey. On their own in NJ.

Jack

Here is a link about the trip. I am sure they would love to have you join them along the way. More details later.

Official Link www.lh2013.com

Press Link

http://brianbutko.wordpress.com/2011...-highway-tour/

Now if I could only read Norwegian :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.