Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Jay Leno looks at the 2014 Corvette

5K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  Longtimer 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Very politically correct review by Jay. Guess you have to play the game to stay in the game. I have no doubt that the C7 is fast and meets all our performance expectations but to me seeing that steering wheel and the interior still doesn't say world class. Maybe when my local dealer gets one and I see it in person I will change my mind.

#8 ·
I spent a few hours one day, watching Jay's garage videos. There was lots of inaccuracies, kinda sickening. And a lot of broad-brush, "well, duh" obvious generalizations.

Maybe when you have as many cars as Jay has, you can't be a tirvia expert on all of them. It's a lot easier when you only have a couple/few favorites, so you can retain a catalog of info on all of them. I don't think I could sound competent either, if I was in his position, with so many cars. Anyway, he still has his day-job, which isn't too shabby!

#6 ·
This is the second video with Welburn and Leno about Corvettes and neither know what they are talking about.

#7 ·
Yeah really... Especially Jay... He apparently didn't know it was a 7 speed manual, not a six. Can't fault him for being used to the 6-speed of previous corvettes but you'd think GM would make sure he was on the ball so that accurate information was getting to the public.

#10 ·
Overall, I loved the video. This car feels cutting edge, a true fresh design. That makes it exciting..

Call me a kid, but I love the way the dashboard, uhm, I mean gauge cluster in the cockpit "comes alive", when the engine burbles to life.

The rear hatch has these cool looking sort of cut-outs on each side, for the rear quarter windows.

I really want this car!

Gonna put my kilo of coke behind the nav screen, where the cops won't know it's there...Whoops, did I just say that out loud? Doooht!

#26 ·
GM has provided Leno with a LOT of support on several of his pet projects. They see him as a resource and I'm sure he sees a limited obligation. Clearly he knew more about vette history than Welburn. He's a car guy and even a vette fan, but is so involved in his show and his hobby that he is not as focused on the C7 Corvette as we are here. His ZR1 gets a disproportionately high number of miles on it versus the rest of his collection.

Like Jay, don't like Jay, he has saved a lot of cool cars and done a lot for automobile history. He would probably be the first to say this doesn't make him the God of sports cars, but he can certainly voice more first hand experience with more of them than many of us.

FWIW

Reactions: bkuper
#29 · (Edited)
In the video Jay asked if the car had the same wheelbase and Welburn confirmed. My memory may be failing me, but I thought they extended the wheelbase slightly?

Edit: "The lighter engine is nestled into a Corvette platform featuring a longer wheelbase and, as a result, the C7 Corvette has a "near perfect" 50/50 weight balance front and rear." - Quoting R&T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.