Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Sorry, I love it

3K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  OC Vic 
#1 ·
I attended the NAIAS today and met the C7 in person. I take back every bad thing I said about it. In the flesh, it's amazing. Front, side and yes, even the back. I could definitely own this car and am certain I will one day.

The tail lights have depth. To quote my wife, "They look mean." They do. So does the front end. This car has an attitude just sitting there.

I don't personally care for the contrasting color of the vents, but on this metallic grey and on black cars, they aren't as noticable.

There were many hot cars at the show, including the new Viper. This car is the only one that had a constant crowd. A Large crowd. All the time. Everyone is impressed by this machine. I believe it will sell well.

If the images don't work, you can go to my NAIAS site here http://tomsnaias2013.shutterfly.com/

I'll get more photos up there soon. :cheers:

See less See more
#3 ·
My only point is that if you took the crossed flags and Corvette name off the rear would you still say that's the new corvette or would you say that's a new Camaro? Be honest.

I know lots of people love this new design and for the Corvette I am happy. But to me it's just too much of this and that and not enough corvette. They say it's design is from heritage, exactly where is the heritage?

#4 ·
My only point is that if you took the crossed flags and Corvette name off the rear would you still say that's the new corvette or would you say that's a new Camaro? Be honest.
If I had never seen this car before, I would think it looks cool, regardless of what brand or model it is.

If it was a new Camaro, I would think, Damm, that's outrageous, I want it! But it ain't a Camaro. And I still want it!

Reactions: Atheris
#5 ·
No one will ever mistake this car for a Camaro from the back or any angle. The tail lights aren't "Corvette round", but they are also not "Camaro square" either. They're unique, distinctive. They're deep. Like jet engines or something. You need to see them in person.

#6 ·
Oh and they had the latest GTR there. It's hideous. Crazy fast, maybe, but fugly IMHO. The Viper is very nice. The Ferraris are stunning. The C7 has more attitude than any of them.

This car (in person) is clearly a Corvette and I would rather own it than the others. There was nothing at the show more interesting than this car for me and obviously for many other people as well.

It was on a turntable and off limits, so we couldn't sit in or feel the interior, but from 10' away, it looks much improved.

If the interior is as nice as it looks and it performs on the track and if the price has not increased much, it will be a winner. No doubt about it.

#14 ·
Oh and they had the latest GTR there. It's hideous. Crazy fast, maybe, but fugly IMHO. The Viper is very nice. The Ferraris are stunning. The C7 has more attitude than any of them.

This car (in person) is clearly a Corvette and I would rather own it than the others. There was nothing at the show more interesting than this car for me and obviously for many other people as well.
Maybe because the 458 Italia and SRT Viper have been out since last year?:huh:

Either way, nice pics. Not a fan of the interior but I can probably get used to it. It's not horrible, just wierd looking. The rear? Still trying to get passed it. Took me a while to get passed the headlights on the C6 so this will take a while. Maybe by the time they introduce a Z06 or ZR1 equivalent, I will have been able to move on.

#9 ·
Thanks for sharing the pics and your impression! :thumbsup: I agree with you, I think it's a stunning design and an absolute homerun for Chevy! :partyon:

#11 ·
Take off the badge and yes, it can look like many cars but Camaro? Nah, it doesn't look like a Camaro. Just because some lights at the rear look vaguely similar doesn't make it one. Besides, look at the size of the cars and their stance.

Would I immidiately think it's a 'Vette? I donno, maybe it'd take a moment. The C5 => C6 was easier, but then the cars were more similar than this.

// Stefan

#16 ·
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me (with zero consideration for the Camaroesque taillights) that rear end is by far the ugliest rear end ever produced by GM on any car ... even the Aztek. It strikes me as just a bunch incongruous straight lines, angles and indents, with a couple of JCWhitney vents tossed into the mix. If you look up ugly in Websters, the C7 rear should be the picture.

Perhaps they had five or six designs they couldn't decide on for the rear. So they cut up the different areas of each design and put them into a bowl. Then they drew four or five of the 30 or so pieces out of the bowl and put them together = C7 rear.

#17 ·
Longtimer, you and I both picked up our Monterey Red C6's at the NCM, so I've considered you a bit of a kindred spirit on this site. I disliked what I saw in the photos, but seeing it in person changed my opinion tremendously.

That said, it isn't perfect. I do not like the contrasting color of the vents and the bottom of the rear end. If body color isn't available when I order one in 3 years or so, I'll have to get it in black or another color dark enough to hide them. This dark grey is barely acceptable. Also, no one that I know has gotten to sit in it and that experience will be a factor.

Your experience and opinions are respected. :cheers:

#18 ·
Thanks Mongo. I guess the C2 debut spoiled me forever. I recall seeing the C2 on the cover of a car rag and being completely blown away by it. Seeing later in person only confirmed the pics. At the time it seemed perfect from all angles and yet with each model year it got better. Since then some designs have had great lines mixed with other lines that were just OK or just unacceptable to me. To me, the C7 falls firmly in the latter.

That said, someone has to buy them if Corvette is to survive, so I'm glad you like it and I hope you enjoy it (no attitude here).

:cheers:

#21 ·
When the C2 came out, you were a lot younger, and your perception was different. Someone older than you, (like my dad), who saw the 1937 Cord first come out when they were young, would forever cling to that era of styling, and express extreme disdain for popular styling directions that came afterwards. (That's what my dad does!) Someone thusly mesmerized by their favorite era of auto probably thought the new C2 Vette looked like an infected blister, ready to pop. Myself, I like the C2, C3, etc. I like a lot of things, (but not the Aztek!) :)

To me, the rear end looks like a jet fighter! It looks futuristic, sharp, provocative, daring. Just happens to strike my interest... Looks like it's doing a carrier launch, with full afterburners on...

If you held a large "V" shaped object against the back end, you could see that the rear window, rear fenders, tailights, Crossed Flags, etc, all flow sympathetically to that "V". at least to a great degree. To me, it is cohesively V-shaped, unified, congruous.

But as you say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

This subject is a little like arguing about other guys' wives- Some you like, some you don't. Ultimately, we must be satisfied with our own!

Thanks Mongo. I guess the C2 debut spoiled me forever. I recall seeing the C2 on the cover of a car rag and being completely blown away by it. Seeing later in person only confirmed the pics. At the time it seemed perfect from all angles and yet with each model year it got better. Since then some designs have had great lines mixed with other lines that were just OK or just unacceptable to me. To me, the C7 falls firmly in the latter.

That said, someone has to buy them if Corvette is to survive, so I'm glad you like it and I hope you enjoy it (no attitude here).

:cheers:

Reactions: TheMelkMan
#19 ·
I say god bless ya, I would 10x rather love it than cringe every time I see a shot of it that even includes part of the rear. Or even that sharp edge at the back of the side view.

There's never been a car I wished I loved more than the C7, but the truth is I think the design is a travesty in some ways (and good in a few ways).

I'd say loving it is very fortunate, good on all of you who do! Maybe I can get a hypnotist, lol.

#22 ·
Overall, it was just time for change. I hate to say it, but it's true. We can't have the same styling cues for another 60 years, we need to create new ones.

#25 ·
I don't ever recall saying that "It is not time for a design change." However, a large shoe box would also qualify as a change. I for one, am NOT taking a position against "Change." I never have in my life. That's why I've spent way too much on every thing from Quadraphonic to Dolby digital, to THX, 4, 5.1, 7.2, 9.2, 60 Hz, 120 Hz, 1080i, 1080p, and even 4000. From 33 1/3 to four track, to eight track to cassette to disc to download to VHS to DVR, New Coca Cola, Saturn, and so on. I and many others my age have LIVED Change and continue to embrace positive change and to reject change of no worth.

Because we have so much experience with change, we have learned to classify it. Some changes are fad-changes, changes for the worse, no-change changes, alternate change, change for the good, and even the rare epic change. I'm sure there are plenty of other names used, but clearly not all change is improvement or even equal.

I won't bother classifying the C7 design change because most know already where I'd place it. We have to wait to see if Tadge's team's changes have really improved performance, but I'll be surprised if that's not the case.

Regardless, please stop using "Change" as if the word, or action, has merit just because "it" is not as it was before.

If you guys see styling cues in the C7 that you want to see for the next 60 years ... well, ok more power to you. Enjoy 'em.

#24 ·
Regarding Vipers, I was in love with the Gen1 and Gen 2 styling. Then in 2003, they came out with this angular, creased and folded-looking thing, that was aggressive, but not beautiful. It lost it's curves, became generic, mundane. Sure, Gens 3 and 4 were aggressive looking, but about as beautiful as a Hummer. I was left feeling betrayed, dissapointed. For the next two generations, 3, and 4, I lost interest in the newer Vipers. They really did not appeal to me at all. Now the Gen 5 has brought back that sexy, voluptuous look, and in my perception, it is a real Viper again.

So, it's not like I don't understand why some Vette fans don't like the C7. It's too much change for some of the faithful. But it can bring in new converts! Guys who already have one aren't as likely to buy another. Yes, some do buy them every couple of years, but far more only buy them when the model changes style. If you style the new one for them, the brand could die. Bottom line, every new car design is a financial risk, and they must recruit new members to survive, and make a successful business model. Blame Harley Earl, if you want a scapegoat. He's the one who took the cue from womens' fashions, set the tone where the automotive industry comes out with a new model every few years or so, for no good reason other than to make you feel dissatisfied with your current car.

Since I haven't owned a new Vette since my 1989 vert, (which I loved) I don't feel the C7 has "left" me. Instead, the C7 has called me back.

#26 ·
So you're saying you don't like all this "change", then?

Heh heh, just kidding.....;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.