Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Kent Moore Specialty Tools for C4s, need some help.

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  grumpyvette 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased a J-35890 ABS tester last night and then started looking at other old specialty Kent Moore tools that might be nice to own before they disappear forever.

One tool that has my eye is the one used for diagnosing the digital dash, but I'm having a tough time figuring out exactly what is necessary.

The Helms manual states J-33431 in the tests, however there are at least 4 variants of this thing. I have found J-33431, J-33431-A, a J-33431-B, and a J-33431-C which appear to be the correct box, and possibly just different variants. I'd like to know what is different, but these tools are so old it may be impossible.

All four of them look like this, and the only visual difference I've seen is the lack of a letter or the A, B, C in the model number.

I also see a J-33431-30 out there, which looks eerily related. Wondering if I should have both or if the -30 is for a different vehicle.

Then there is the mysterious J-33431-10 which has nearly no references online (I search all of these with and without the first hyphen). If this image is correct then it is just a set of alligator clips with a connector on them. Nothing super special, heck I could make one if I knew what connector it needed.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
Ive purchased several similar tools over the years, from shops that were closing down, , usually dirt cheap, or was given a few for free.
Ive usually found they don,t really provide much more info than you get from a multi meter and/ or a few mini-alligator clips can tell you about function, if you know the ohms resistance or continuity for the gauge or sensor your testing.
obviously a shop manual and the ability to read schematics and knowledge of what the electrical symbols represent is mandatory

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=317&p=13210&hilit=schematics#p13210

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3110&p=21360&hilit=multi+meter#p21360

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=728&hilit=sensor+location

#3 ·
Hey there Grumpyvette,

I've been using my trusty multi-meter and factory service manuals & diagrams for years. This was more of an opportunity to pick up some odd-ball items before they disappear for good. You never know, maybe some day when early C4s come out of the toilet for value there will be $ to be made and some of these items will become useful. Or at least a guy can dream... :)

I spotted a J-33431-B on eBay starting at $14.99 with no reserve and snagged it for $32 shipped. Most of the others had starting bids around >$120 so I think I did well as long as it works even if I (hopefully) never have to use it.

For the Bosch ABS2 I now have the following in my hands. The ABS manual is rather extensive and should come in handy.

• Kent-Moore J-35592 ABS Pinout Box
  • Kent-Moore J-353890 ABS Tester w/Manual
  • GM Corvette Antilock Brakes Manual 15005.01-1

#4 ·
please post about your experience, success or frustration using the tool,and a few pictures , as Im sure it will eventually help someone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.