Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

I'm going to buy a C3 and make it a daily driver LSx for less than $20k thread

110K views 249 replies 46 participants last post by  suntan57 
#1 ·
Ok, I just sold my '66 Mustang and am hoping to sell my '94 C4 (see avatar). I'm wanting to buy a bumper C3, put an LS engine in it and just drive the crap out of it...daily! What could be better than driving a classic Vette, with modern running gear, every single day?

Ok, so here's my thoughts: I've got $12-14k'ish to spend on the car now. When the C4 sells I plan on doing the LS swap.

First, it's always said, and I know from experience as well, it's better to buy a car done than to do it yourself, $$$ wise. I'm not sure this is the case with an LS powered bumper C3 because I feel like typically those cars are going to be in the $30k + range, probably more of a show car than a driver (frame/undercarriage detailed, etc). I want to take a car that would fit in at any show, and drive it...the difference being it's not going to be a frame-off job...the details under the car don't have to be perfect because their going to get beat-up by the daily driving. So, what to do?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is just how much I can use from a car that's a good car in the LS swap...and if I'm going to have to change everything, would I be better buying a car that needs more work and start from scratch? The obvious questions are:

1. Is the, say, 350 out of a '70 worth anything to anyone once I pull it?

2. Let's assume an automatic car, whatever automatic trans came in those early C3's...can I use this behind the LS?

3. Can I continue to use all the C3 brake and steering components or will I have to a rack and pinion as well as swap the master cyl out?

I've done an LS2 w/4L60E into a '64 Impala...it was an awesome engine/trans combo (and I'd like to have the 400hp as opposed to the 300 LS1), but it was outragious to do $$$ wise. :-/ I had to swap EVERYTHING it seemed to make it work. Headers, driveshaft, all kinds of electronic crap, etc...I'm looking for a much simpler swap this time, thus the reason I'm hoping to keep the original C3 trans. From what I hear, the LS1 is a much easier swap than the LS2 because of some of the electronics. I also understand that I can use the F-body accessories that may come with the LS1, only replacing the A/C compressor with Josh's bracket, using an early '80's Vette compressor (to be able to continue to use the cars factory A/C without having to make changes).

I guess what I'm looking for is a simple as swap as possible...changing as little as possible, and I'm looking for advice from you folks that know more than me about these Vettes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#222 ·
I thought of you while reading the latest AERA Engine Professional magazine. There is an article in there that shows how to make a LSX engine look much better IMHO. Hell, those curly-que intake runners on a stockish LSX look like a Jamaican Ganga dealers dreadlocks. The mag has an online version also.

Note the holes in the "valve covers" for the plug wires.

This LSX would look real good in a C3 Vette.

#223 ·
I think that's part of resean I went with the LS motor in my ride, it makes the engine bay look so modern and if done right, it looks so much better than the carbed gen 1 motors that have been around for such a long time. I have shown several old school guy my new set and they feel in love it.

Riggs

#231 ·
BTW, notice my day time parking space while at work...a covered bank drive-thru. :) The bank is closed and I met the owner of the building. It sits empty so he said I could park there, no problem...and its directly across the road from the bank that I work at! Home run!

#233 ·
The covers look great. Nice work on the parking spot! You can't beat that.
So do you have everything worked out with your car now?
I could only wish...do you ever really have it all worked out? lol The two major things that I haven't touched are the A/C and the wipers. I spent Labor Day hooking-up the Abbott Cable-X speedo box, only to find that I must not be getting a signal from the computer because it doesn't work. I've also figured out that my temp sender isn't going to work and I'll have to do like other and have a '72 sender cut down and threaded to work. I am enjoying driving the car while I work on these projects though...that's the best part, finally being about to enjoy it.

#234 ·
After several months of "daily driving" I have an update: I love the car as a daily driver! I drive the same 20 miles to work and 20 miles back everyday, and some 3 or 4 months later I still get someone basically every day giving me a thumbs-up or the like. I think with any project, one of the most rewarding things is for it to be appreciated by others, and I get that with this black C3.

The pros: I've mentioned the attention a C3 gets, but there's more; I love how the C3 drives, rides and even handles. The heater works great as we get into the cold months here in SC. The options the car has, power windows, power brakes, power steering are all wonderful...no complaints, even using the stock steering set-up. The LS1 is a great engine! I did have to replace the water pump after about 1000 miles due to it leaking, but other than than, no issues what-so-ever with the engine/trans...and I'm getting 22-25mpg!

The cons: The car is an old car and it has the rattles associated with an old car. I haven't taken the time to to to find and fix all of them, but they are many. lol The tray that holds the rear glass in the storage area seems to rattle. The t-top on the drivers side at the outside-rear has a rattle...and I'm guessing there must be about 3 or three other rattles. In the summer when I was riding with the windows down the rattles were drowned out...no such luck in the winder with the windows up. Othere than the rattles, I can't think of anything else wrong with the car as a daily driver!

I should also add that I got the temp hand working with a 45ohm resistor in-line using the temp sensor I have listed.

Oh, and I should also add that the Cable-x box now works...but my odometer doesn't. I think the issues with the speedo was the odometer was hanging-up. Something must have broke in the odometer because out of the blue the speedo started working perfectly!

#236 ·
Barry,
Is your LS computer/wiring harness running the engine in limp mode? Are you using the 02 sensors? That was a good price from Chassis Pros, I'm thinking about using them for my comp/wiring. Looking at the Current Performance website, is there anything there that you would do different to your harness/computer? Also, are you using the computer to run the AC or not?
Thanks,
Bill

#237 ·
Bill, I found out that the computer had the wrong trans tune in it. A quick trip back to Chassis Pros and a new tune and it fixed everything...5min fix max.

I'm using the front O2 sensors, not the rear ones.

I might tweak the tune a little regarding shift points, but if you're running a 6 speed, you won't have that to worry about. The computer doesn't control the AC at all...completely seperate.

Hope this helps!

#239 ·
#241 ·
The cool looking picture of the LS with the BBC lookalike is actually a Holley mpi setup....look at the sticker on the air cleaner and you can see where the person made an old schools power display sticker state what they have.

#242 ·
I was looking at another LS swap thread and I thought about something I did during my swap that I may not have documented and wanted to go back and make a note of on this thread as well as my other LS thread for the benefit of someone who may read it later while doing their swap.

I used the original 1972 radiator for my swap...but I had it modified just a bit. I took it to the radiator shop to have it rotted out and while it was there I had them turn the upper hose outlet down. Basically, I wanted my upper hose to run parallel with the top of the radiator so I could use the cold air intake as I did. Just fyi for those of you still working through LS swaps.

#245 ·
Almost a year into driving the C3/LS daily and I still love it!

Just an fyi and a btw...don't use fuel line where transmission line should go. :-o I had made a connection between the factory turbo 350 tranny lines to the radiator with fuel line and clamps...it blew and pumped out 6 quarts of fluid last week. :-o Replaced the line and fluid and I'm off and running again. Learn from my mistake. :)

#248 ·
Glad to hear from you and glad you are enjoyin the ride.
Any plans for any upgrades or changes in the future, or are you happy with what ya got?
Hey Brent! I'm fairly happy with what I've got and still on a budget...so no major upgrades coming soon. I would like to get the car a little lower than it is right now. I've got to do a little work with the front suspension so I think I'll cut the coils while I'm there...other than that, pretty happy with everything.

Untitled by clemson_tiger29678, on Flickr

#250 ·
well I'm sure it's been said many times before ! but your build deserves as many compliments as it gets !
that being said I myself would like to thank you I love corvette's and most all classic cars no matter what brand name as long as the build is done with class, I have had most in my garage at some time in my life, I have one open spot in my garage and since I have always loved the lines of the C3 Corvette I now know what will share the garage with my 57 chevy 210, I will pick her up this Saturday she is a 73 BB but soon to be a LS project I hope to post as many pictures and dialog as you have, the car is not in great shape but like the 57 it's about the journey ! the time spent with friends in the garage talking about life and telling lie's ha ha
anyways great job and don't be surprised if you get to know my phone # at a glance.
take care
Henry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.