Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Trailer No.3

10K views 50 replies 14 participants last post by  TommyFox 
#1 ·
See less See more
#14 ·
Doubt it.

The car mags wouldn't be happy with the Vette interior if the dashboard-firewall-windscreen frame were milled from a single billet of aluminum, every tactile surface were covered in Corinthian leather hand sewn by blind monks in Belgium, and ever switch were molded from carbon fiber.

However they will drool over a Porsche steering wheel covered in micro-suede sourced from Wal-mart.

#16 ·
IMHO...

I think the Corvette team should do what Porshe does, have a laundry list of options that people can check off until the consumer is happy with his/her purchase. For example is someone is happy with low end interior filled with plastic bits and faux leather, let that person check that option off. The person that wants higher end aesthetics, touch and feel good parts, then let that person option it out to his/her content.

Even when it comes to Porsche their low end is of much better quality (interior wise) than Corvette. The Corvette team should just come out with a decent interior and work their way up to a interior worthy of a $100K car. Just my .02

#29 ·
Either way, it would jack up the prices. Lower volume of parts and pieces for each option would raise the price of production and ultimately MSRP.

#34 ·
Just look at the new Viper interior, they give you choices. Something that we all can benifit from. I think they have 8 wheel choices as well as interior choices.

JMHO
The Viper is a LOW VOLUME car.

....this car is $144k....

#19 ·
As far as the interior...I don't believe that the problem is that the design team doesn't know what "nice" stuff is. Corvette sells at a certain price point and all that exotic crap is expensive. ONE reason people buy Corvettes and not Porches, etc is the bang for the buck factor.

Even offering the ability to have customers select what type of interior they want is going to drive up the cost overall.

World class performance at Corvette prices requires some sacrifice in other places.

JMHO.

#20 ·
:huh:
As far as the interior...I don't believe that the problem is that the design team doesn't know what "nice" stuff is. Corvette sells at a certain price point and all that exotic crap is expensive. ONE reason people buy Corvettes and not Porches, etc is the bang for the buck factor.

Even offering the ability to have customers select what type of interior they want is going to drive up the cost overall.

World class performance at Corvette prices requires some sacrifice in other places.

JMHO.

I agree with you to a certain degree. As far as the base Corvette, then the bang for buck certainly should fit the bill. But as you go further up the line towards ZR1 price, the Porsche 911 Turbo, which is about $11K difference in price, has a better quality interior. The interior should stand out in a 100K+ car. That bang for buck got the Corvette those horrid seats, as if it was made at Walmart with terrible quality leather. (the leather would show its age within a couple of years with a lot of small cracks) Plastic parts bin pieces that should not be in any car that people pay $50K for. For example when the C6 came out it had the same sterring wheel as a Chevy Cobalt. Do you think it was because the Cobalt had a fantastic steering wheel? Look at the 2013 Malibu and tell me if that center stack does not look familiar.

The Nissan GTR has the same bang for buck as the Corvette, but with a much better quality interior. (not the layout, its terrible.)

The Corvette is the flagship of Chevy and to some extent, GM, since GM would not let any other part of the division outperform the Vette.

I dont think its just the quality of material that the Corvette team put in the car, it has to do with the layout. Its boring, as in family car boring. The later C4 interior was the last great layout of the Corvette. Then they got stale.

What I find really peculiar is the fact that so many people have show disdain for the camaroesque rear tail lamps saying its downright offensive but the interior where people pilot the car could give a rats ass about it. Unless you let people drive your car and you just watch it go by, I dont see how the the tail lamps are high on the priority list but the interior can be plastic with a low rent interior and people are okay with it. Unless I am missing something.:huh:

#30 ·
True story. I personally am of the mind that the C6 interior doesn't bother me, but the seats are a problem (even the new ones that they just updated).

When I was at Bondurant driving a 2013 Grand Sport with the new seats, I was still sliding all over the place.

Someone asked Dough Fehan about it and more or less he said the seats are made for "bigger" Americans to be able to fit in the car comfortably. So more or less if you are average or small, they suck for performance driving.

I'm 5'-7", 140 lbs, and even with a 5 point harness I was moving around a lot when pushing the car on the road course.

#41 ·
Your right, there is something off about the headlights. The design of the car looks very cohesive until we get to the front. Maybe because the rest of the car looks unmistakingly Viper, designed by the original Viper team and the the front was designed by the Italians because the Americans were out sick that day. :laughing: A collaborative effort gone astray.

I agree, the car is a home run. Despite the front, I really like the direction they took this car.

#43 · (Edited)
well the front looks cheap
the front lights have a very weird shape. if you look at the curve...looks "undecided" - amateur. not sure how to explain, but the entire front looks way too busy. the first viper had a very strong character.
the rest is..."okay so the viper is getting the new 911 now?" almost nothing has changed since the gen1. sorry mr Gilles, but this design is not forward thinking. it completely ignores the second generation, at it looks like they just had to do something CHEAP. (and fast)
they didn't take RISKS AT ALL
there is absolutely not a single element that is really new. okay, they have a new B-pillar... and what about the rest?

what i'm trying to get out of all this, that the Vette will bring new cues to its design. they might not be appealing to everybody, but hey at least they are trying.
can't say this about the viper design team.

if you have a new generation, and you don't change anything on the old one, they what's the purpose on the first place????

PS
what happened to the Tom Gale design team anyway?
can you recall what cars they designed? I mean compared to their era, that Viper and Intrepid and co was very modern looking. Now going back there after 20 years.... c'mon, be serious. :WTF:huh:

check this out and tell honestly you like the new one better

more pics here

#45 ·

This is the interior that was in the Black Edition that I road in. When I first got in the car, I just thought it was another Japanese sedan. I didn't know what a GTR was. I was blown away by the performance but the interior really didn't impress me all that much at all. It was a lot easier for me to get in and out of compared to these damn Lambo's. Man, I'm getting old!

Now this interior reminds me of a late 1900's Mustang. I'm not too crazy about it.

#46 ·
This is the interior that was in the Black Edition that I road in.
Yeah, that was the centennial edition, correct? That's what I think at the very least all ZR1's should have been outfitted with from the very beginning. The devil is in the details, befitting a car in the 6 figure category.

When I first got in the car, I just thought it was another Japanese sedan. I didn't know what a GTR was. I was blown away by the performance but the interior really didn't impress me all that much at all. It was a lot easier for me to get in and out of compared to these damn Lambo's.
When you say you were not impressed with the interior, are you referring to build quality or the general layout / ergonomics? For me, personally, it just had a great tactile feel to everything. The seat especially felt well put together, pulling it from behind didn't feel as if it would come off its track. As far as the layout of the thing, I couldn't care less. The thing looks as if it belonged on a Ford F250 SuperDuty.

Now this interior reminds me of a late 1900's Mustang. I'm not too crazy about it.

I stand corrected, I guess the 2013 Malibu has that center stack that reminds me of the Vette.

You see the steering wheel on the earlier Malibu, it has the exact same steering wheel as the Vette. It all comes back to the rear end of the C7 having Camaro tail lights. The Vette should not take cues from lesser cars.

Man, I'm getting old!
:laughing:As long as you didn't make a grunting noise when you exited the Lambos you'll be alright. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.