Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Found the leak but cant get it all...HELP

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Sly Vette 
#1 · (Edited)
Cant find Leak! Video and pics HELP

Ok guys I have been looking for a leak on my 81 after pouring water on my windshield and doors I found the leak. It is coming down the door jam and getting into the car through the door hinge where the door is attached to the body. I see at one time there was sealant so I put more on as you can see in the pics. But it still leaks. It has reduced but is still there. I do not want to take the door off if I dont have to so do you guys have any suggestions how to seal this up? Maybe spray sealant? Below are pictures of before and after I put on the sealant.

See less See more
#2 ·
If its like mine, its because that isn't the only leak. I have water coming in on both sides from somewhere in the area at the base of the a-pillar and down into the area behind the fender just in front of the door hinges. There is no real way for me to get it without pulling the fenders, so I'm just living with it for now until I rebuild/replace the whole windshield and a-pillar/hinge area. It sucks and hopefully yours isn't as bad, but be prepared for it to be.

#3 ·
I had a 70 coupe the wind had taken the door out of my hand. After that another person opened the door on a downward incline - you get the picture. Anyway, it was as yours looks today. Try this with a long handled brush. You might have to go to a local arts and crafts store for a couple of cheap long handled paint brushes http://www.eastwood.com/ew-brush-on-seam-sealer-quart.html. This works.

#4 ·
I had a 70 coupe the wind had taken the door out of my hand. After that another person opened the door on a downward incline - you get the picture. Anyway, it was as yours looks today. Try this with a long handled brush. You might have to go to a local arts and crafts store for a couple of cheap long handled paint brushes http://www.eastwood.com/ew-brush-on-seam-sealer-quart.html. This works.
Thanks! I cant see any damage as you described just after 30+ years I guess it wears off. I do have some spray sealant I am going to try.....As seen on TV! LOL :D

#6 ·
It's extremely doubtful that the hinges are leaking. Your a pillars look fine.
Probably at the bottom or sides of the windshield frame. You can't see it without removing the glass.
The other area is the under the fiberglass mount for the fender top.
The metal cowl is double wall in these areas and will make it appear as if the water comes from above the hinges.

Take a flashlight and a mirror inside the A pillar while the hose is running to get a good look.
Start at the bottom with the hose, not the upper part of the windshield.

#9 ·
Could it be leaking across from the opening in this photo near the top? Capillary action can do strange things.
Not likely.

These pics show the area that is most likely from your description. Pics show metal repairs welded in. Not shown is rotted windshield frame that produces leaks in the same areas.
Pics are from another site, car is named Sparty, do a search for the rebuild thread with pics or PM the owner for links.

#8 ·
Cowl vent seals? Top of the AC box under the hood more likely. I have this area apart now. Lots of ways for water to get to this area and into the car. Highly doubtful it's the hinges. IMHO...

Come to think of it, if the AC box isn't tight you may be able to tighten up the top screws a bit and stop a leak. Couple of the screws are accessible through the side gill panel if yours is removable. If not, then a long reach from under the car? My AC box was mostly loose, at least the screws were.

#11 ·
Thanks for the input guys! Today is not too cold so I am going to have my helper pour water on the car while I am inside looking closer to see where it is comeing from. The Hinges as strange as this sounds are still my first thought. Reason being is when I put sealer on the leak reduced but did not stop. I will see if I can take a pic of where the water is coming in from so you guys can see it.

#12 ·
Video update

Hey guys thanks for all of input. I wanted to confirm and show you were the water was coming from so I made this video. Please take a look and let me know what you think and what I may be able to do in order to stop this leak. Oh and it is in HD so you can see clearly. Make it full screen.

#14 ·
If this were my problem I would cut to the chase and spray the entire area inside with undercoating. Eastwood sells this stuff by the can that has a hose attachment that can reach anywhere. The stuff goes on smooth and when it dries you can color match with Duplicolor paints.

#15 ·
Well i thought is that as well but my only concern is where the water will go? if I plug up the hole so to speak from the inside the leak will still be there and the water will need to go somewhere. The amount is small from the seals I put in and window rubber I put in, so I was even thinking of putting some absorbent material to soak up the water when it does rain or leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.