Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

t5 or t56 swap

6K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  KacyC3 
#1 ·
Okay well I want to upgrade the trans in my car, right now it has a TH400. I am considering going manual because I would love to be able to bang through those gears everyday but I want to know what prices im looking at.. I know there are a lot of people that have put t56 trans in their cars. From going from auto to manual can someone give me a list of exactly everything I will need for the swap? Doesnt need to be the best of the best out there, I would just like to get it in the car in working order and i can worry about the upgrades later. Thanks!

#2 ·
You'll need to mod the trans crossmember, manual trans engine harness, driveshaft, pedal assembly, get a Cable X so that you can run your factory speedo, and all the clutch stuff. Depending on what you get the trans for you're looking at around $2500 that's just an estimate as it could be more or less. Others may chime in and give a better estimate.

#3 ·
I went from a 4 speed to a T56 6 speed. Around $2500 is about right. Sell your old parts and put it toward the cost. I think after I sold my old parts the cost came in at around $1200 or so for my swap. Here's a post on my conversion.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160305

Used T56 $750, is what I found one for.

Conversion Kit I think was about $800, but that was to reuse my existing clutch/flywheel. You will probably spend that much to get a flywheel, clutch assembly, and clutch hydraulics.

shifter $200

Bowtie Overdrives crossmember $225, but you could modify the stock crossmember.

82' driveshaft with split yoke $125, shortened and balanced $100

solid u-joints $75

Clutch fluid, trans mount, sensor electrical plugs, misc., etc. $100-200 approx.

Changed my speedometer to electronic. $200 Or get the CableX as already stated.

#4 ·
MIKE80, I have read your thread multiple times thoroughly. I hope if I end up doing this swap mine looks as good as yours. Can you give me a little more specifics about the clutch linkages and such? Since the t56 is hydraulic, what exactly would go into all of that? How does the clutch and everything work with linkages? I could use a stock c3 clutch and brake pedal assembly? I have an idea of what all I need for the swap, I just need a lot more information about all the specifics like exactly what clutch/ flywheel I would need and what all the sensors are. That would Definently help me a lot in the decision making.

#6 ·
Thanks! Take your time, clean everything up and it should look great. :thumbsup:

Buy a used manual pedal set for your year vette.

If you get an LT1 T56, see if you can also get the clutch slave cylinder and shifter. As an option, these guys can set you up with a clutch/ flywheel assembly. Basically, this trans is designed for use with a flywheel bolting to an engine with a 1 piece rear main seal, but our engines are 2 piece, so you need a flywheel made to adapt to it.

http://www.specclutch.com/conversion_combos/view/2

For the clutch master, go with one from an 85' chevy pickup. It has the correct angle to mount to the firewall, you just have to modify the rod to connect to the clutch pedal. You will have to cut a hole in your firewall for the clutch rod to pedal. Then get a line made up to connect the master to the slave. Others have done it this way. Search the forums and you should be able to find a post on it being done this way.

The way I did mine. I had a good clutch and flywheel I wanted to reuse. The conversion kit I bought changed the bellhousing and converted it to a hydraulic throw out bearing which enabled me to use the clutch/flywheel I had from my 4 speed. The throw out bearing required a clutch master with a 1" bore, so I bought a Wilwood clutch master kit with everything I needed from the same guy I got the conversion kit from. The angle for the master to firewall mounting was off, but Chris from Keisler gave me the adapter that I needed to correct the angle. You can do it the way I did, but since you don't have a good clutch and flywheel already, you will end up spending more money this way. Just ask if you have questions and I'll do what I can to help you out. Good luck!

http://www.weirhotrodproducts.com/id2.html

#5 ·
Ram clutches makes the flywheel for the T56 that fits the Gen 0 engine to the LT-1 style T56. It's billet aluminum and runs for $412. The clutch and pp are standard 26 spline sbc stuff. You can use the factory clutch pedals and buy aftermarket cmc/csl from wilwood or other suppliers. The switches on the side are for start switch, CAGS, backup lights, and some others that I forget.

#9 ·
I talked to them at power tour, they told me their transmissions are new units unlike other companies and they offer entire kits for some cars including pedals. My thought was one stop shopping, bet your transmission, cross member, linkages,clutch etc.

#11 ·
When i talked to them, I didnt have my vette, and was thinking bout a 78 Trans am, but they told me 3300 (I think) for the transmission, crossmember, clutch, flywheel, pedal assembly, hydranic master cyl, hy. slave cyl, throw out bearing i dont remember if the driveshaft was included.

#12 ·
Their website lists the trans for $2895 and the install kit for $945. Does not look like it comes with pedal assembly, hydraulic clutch kit, bellhousing, flywheel, or clutch. I wonder what the total cost for everything to do the complete install would be?

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.