Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Alternator bracket for headers (1973)

7K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  DTOM 
#1 ·
I am in the process of redoing the power steering (pump, lines, cylinder) and while i have the alternator off I am trying to figure out if there is an alternator bracket that will mount over the headers.

The one I have on the car now works, but was clearly made in someones shop. Makes it a real pain to change the plug underneath and impossible to get the the header bolt.

I have looked at a few sites, but was curious if anyone had already figured this one out?

#2 ·
Since you have a 350 and I'm presuming it has factory brackets the alternator bracket bolts to the front accessorie bolt holes on the heads and the other is attached to the water pump. Sounds like someone put or made different brackets. I have headers on mine and have no problem changing plugs. The only bracket that will have to be modified for headers is the A/C bracket that used an exhaust stud.

#4 ·
Thanks, my upper bracket is the original and fits correctly. But it is the lower one that is modified.

It uses the second header bolt to hold it in place, but the bracket is cut out around the front header bolt and just sits on it.

#5 ·
Kacy, I am interested in the way you have your plug wires over the top of your valve covers. Have you had any issues with them burning or melting when you run them over the headers? The only way I have been able to keep my wires from overheating is to run them underneath from the back.

#8 ·
we route them down in the center in pairs then split off and go under the header and they aren't coated. The only time I ever had a wire melt was on my 97 Z28 and they were routed under the headers but from the from(silly optispark). It doesn't look nice right now, but it works fine.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/big-10031flt/overview/

That is probably what you need. It uses the front two header bolts, but moves over the header. I ran this on my 71, with the bracket below attached to the alternator.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/big-10033flt/overview/
those should work as long as there is enought room in his car. I used them on a 327 with 462 heads in a camaro

#6 ·
#9 ·
Sig, thanks. That is a much cleaner version of what I have on the car now. I will be ordering them this weekend.

#11 ·
Kacy, mine has a homemade version of the flowtech bracket you had the link for (above). I like the one you sent the pic of (looks like the same one 72SBVette had the pic of as well.

Looking at the pic from 72SBVette it does not change the way the belt sits on it.

Any chance either of you have a part number?

#13 ·
Thanks again. Found what looks like the upper and lower bracket for $26 / $38 with shipping.

Looks like both pieces are in need of a wire brush and some paint.

It sounds a little too good to be true, but we will see when they get here around christmas day. About the time I hope to have the power steering back together.

I normally don't buy a lot on e-bay, but have had good luck when i have found parts. Seller looks like he has a pretty good track record.

#15 ·
I wrapped up work on the car yesterday and put the new bracket on. It fit excellent and I was finally able to replace the two front header bolts. One was lose enough I could remove without a wrench, not good.

The old bracket looks like someone chewed on it to make it work.

Thanks for the help finding the correct bracket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.