Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

C6 Naturally aspirated – 700HP, Possible?

16K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  07 Z51 
#1 ·
The guy I work with just bought a 2008 C6 which he claims has 700HP from a dyno so that’s like 750 from the engine.

It does idle a little rough, at around 1000rpm but not anything dramatic. There is no supercharger, no turbo, no nitrix. and the intake looks stock.

I have been using the work “skeptical” should I be?
Anyone with experience in this area?

What do think?

#2 ·
Jim, check my sig. Forged, stroked, Lingenfelter 403 LS 2, big cam, heads & intake worked to death, etc. I managed 530hp to the wheels through 4.10's, so 3.42's, maybe 540 rwhp...optimistically that's around 620-630hp to the crank, and thats with a lightweight clutch.

I'd seriously doubt he could make that kind of power n/a, especially with power adders, and especially if it's an oem engine with maybe a good h/c package.

If he has a manual, ask him what clutch he has in it. He'd need a dual disk to handle that kind of power. If it's an auto, ask if he's had it built. The stock drivetrain would melt with that kind of power.

I would say 'skeptical' is a mild but diplomatic adjective in this scenario. :D

#5 ·
700+rwhp N/A is possible...but not with a stock intake. RobZ (who frequents the CF site) has an all-bore N/A LS7 (388CI) with a whole lot of work. He has this motor in his C5 Z and has gone 9.3's @ nearly 150mph...with a 6 speed.;) Conservatively his engine is making nearly 800rwhp.:surprised

Tell your friend he needs to go back to whoever sold him that car and ask for a dyno sheet...or should I write, dyno ****.:smack

#7 ·
That is about what I thought.

He has an automatic.

Also, he says it drives fine for a daily driver. This I found suspicious, if GM had to use a super charger to get 620HP (and driveable) I find it difficult to believe....

Anyway thanks for the input.

#8 ·
Those numbers would take moving some serious atmospheres of compression, race gas and huge heads and cam combo.

My 434 with a decent cam makes 640 crank on pump gas and has Zero Street manners.

He has a great sense of humor!:laughing:

#9 ·
A buddy of mine ordered an NCM delivery ZR1, then drove it to Lingenfelter to be "polished and masaged." He didn't get their hottest package, but still drove out with about 720-750 HP. He says its scary fast (he moved to FL before I got a ride damn it).

I've forgotten exactly what Lingenfelter did, but I could find it on another thread here ...somewhere.

Bottom line, I'm very skeptical that a stock appearing NA LS3 could achieve 700HP.

#10 ·
700 hp is possible if you take the ls3 and swap it with a ls9 then your a pulley away from 700hp. to achieve that kind of power would require exotic materials a microfinished crank and variable valve timing and increased displacment. power isnt everything anyway when you consider how well you can handle it or even if the chassis and other components can handle it. i think if you want more power buy a zr1 and get the wow factor of owning it. i can understand the guys wanting a sleeper or a little more excitement its just that the corvette is a great car as it is and 700hp is just a lot of headaches when you burn through tires break half shafts or differentials. i love my corvette i just want it to sound unique so it wont be like the mercedes range from amg, why spend money on a sls when a c63 sounds the same and carrys four passengers it just doesnt make sense :cheers:

#13 ·
700 hp is possible if you take the ls3 and swap it with a ls9 then your a pulley away from 700hp. to achieve that kind of power would require exotic materials a microfinished crank and variable valve timing and increased displacment.
could not be farther from the truth. You can easily build a shortblock that will handle 1,000+ hp (using all new components) for under $5,000. Hell, my short block will easily take 1,000 hp before it complains and I spent less than $5,000 on it SHIPPED to my door. From there it is just a matter of getting heads to flow enough, proper intake/tb, and a cam ground to match the combo. Once you get head flow/velocity high enough you can do it with enough cam. Street manners are another story, but is still possible (depending on your opinion of streetable).

#11 ·
I'm beginning to think you guys dont know **** about engines and horsepower. Heads, Cam, Crank, Bigger Block, etc etc etc is over rated, all you need is to put stickers on your car and you instantly get power. If you dont believe me ask your fellow ricers they'll tell ya. There's a guy with a honda civic in Norman OK that puts out 800hp and he doesnt have turbo's, supercharger, NOS Just a reworked 4 banger with lots of Stickers. I feel I was ripped off purchasing a Lingenfelter package, if I only knew about those damn STICKERS I couldve saved myself lots of money.... :D

Cliff

#29 ·
I'm beginning to think you guys dont know **** about engines and horsepower. Heads, Cam, Crank, Bigger Block, etc etc etc is over rated, all you need is to put stickers on your car and you instantly get power. If you dont believe me ask your fellow ricers they'll tell ya. There's a guy with a honda civic in Norman OK that puts out 800hp and he doesnt have turbo's, supercharger, NOS Just a reworked 4 banger with lots of Stickers. I feel I was ripped off purchasing a Lingenfelter package, if I only knew about those damn STICKERS I couldve saved myself lots of money.... :D

Cliff

I just fell off my chair........:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: I needed a good laugh thanks!

#12 ·
Cliff, you've forgotten the two ESSENTIAL components!! An unpainted carbon fiber hood (or a regular hood painted to look like unpainted CF) and a two foot wing spoiler sitting on the truck of your four door sedan.

#15 ·
I have yet to ride in his car. I find it very likely his HP is greater than stock.

He is now using 725Hp. I pointed out that it was 700. He broke a 1/2 shaft. He tells me the dealler, where he got it fixed told him it was 725.

I know for a fact that King Cadilac (where he got it fixed) does not have a dyno.

I have started refering to his vet as: "7 million hourse power", and a smile.

#20 ·
yes, you won't start building real power until 2-3k, will make peak power around 7-8k, and it won't idle very nicely. You will end up with problems (stalling, horrible surging, ect) with operation below 2k. driving in traffic will be something you will hate. Hell, even actual streetable builds sometimes have problems with surging as it is. Without a vacuum pump and canister, you will also have issues with your brakes and anything else that runs off engine vacuum.

#21 ·
My C5 6-speed vert had a big cam in it and some head work, intake, full exhaust and was a loud, stinky, PITA to drive in traffic!! That's why it belongs to someone else now and I just bought a bone-stock GS vert!! I learned my lesson the hard way about built Vettes! Don't want another one!! They sound absolutely amazing, run like a raped-ape and a lot of fun...until you get in some really bad traffic!!

#22 ·
im sure any engine can be built to produce 700hp. whats funny is buggati chooses to use a 8.0 liter w16 with 4 turbos and costs more than we all can make in many years must be a reason

#25 ·
they do this the same reason GM uses a super charger on the ZR1- fuel mileage, drivability, emissions. Building a FI engine, you can tune the FI to produce little to no boost at typical cruising RPM (typically 1500 and below) so all the extra power the engine is capable of making does not affect drivability, mileage, and emissions.

#23 ·
btw no one here has the money engineering and r and d or testing areas to build a better car than the manufacturer. them term built not bought is very inaccurate. unless the person can cast the block design the chassis create the suspension and create their own electrical system we are merely tuning the car not building the car. this of course doesnt apply to race cars

#24 ·
There are a LOT of people on here that can do everything but foundry work. The only hard part of building a chassis is a little math and the welding.

#26 ·
i agree hardcore im just saying the manufacturer has deeper pockets than we do. the more horsepower and torque you try to get out of a given powerplant will have driveabilty problems not to mention fuel consumption issues. because the lsx has a single cam theres only so much adjustment that can be made for driveabilty when trying to get 700 plus hp out of 6.2 liters. the lsx is no doubt a masterpiece of engineering but when you consider what ferrari does to get 562 hp out of 4.5 liters it proves we need a little more than open up a jegs catalog and build a powerhouse with road manners still in tact. the lsx is better in my opinion than ferraris v8s although gm could give the corvette a more unique exhaust note through the corvette range. hardcore your posts are well done and prove that 700hp is possible with the ls3 or ls2 barring proper fuel management and tuning bottlenecks resolved

#27 ·
you also have to look at the power curve of the ferrari engines- they rev far past a lsx. that is 1 reason they pull in those numbers. don't forget, they are not interested in fuel mileage- at all. Also, their engines are not built for 100k+ durability. The realistic lifespan of a ferrari engine is 10k before you are pulling it out to run thru it.

#28 ·
ferrari engines usaully get eos at 30k miles or five years for timing belts and other engine related issues. i work on ferraris and the new 458 has a timing chain so the service interval should be longer. the 308 328 355 and 360 have timing belts so they need service early. there are believe it or not 100k ferraris, those cars are owned by true car guys like us and before anyone flames me for defending ferrari im just pointing out that the italians are catching up ill be it in baby steps to reliabilty that most people expect. the corvette is to me the better car in lots of aspects exceptfor exhaust noise from the factory. the ls family of engines is very robust and im sure can rev to 8000 rpm if massaged correctly. lpe performance has a flat plane lsx engine so it can be done. i would have a corvette and ferrari in my garage and considering i work on both of them taking care of them isnt an issue. any person can get major power out of an engine just ask the supra guys. i tell my ricer customers when they say oh my k24 makes more power than your corvette i simply tell them to convince all the manufacters to use the k24 engine in there flagship models if the honda powerplant is so superior.... but of course silence fills the air because reality sets in. top car makes are not going to switch from their hot motor to a 2jzgte just because it makes a 1000hp. just imagine if gm did that to the corvette everyone in this forum would form a lynch mob

#30 ·
I doubt it. Those are few and far between.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.