Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Build sheets

14K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  speeddaddy 
#1 ·
I understand that second to the top of the gas tank a build sheet can be found behind and between the Speedo and tachometer. I have no need to open a can of worms taking the barn-find's dash apart as everything works. I cannot get my hands up into that space and I am having a tough time trying to see with a mirror. Before I go further into this, what is the likely hood a sheet is there?

#4 ·
...what is the likely hood a sheet is there?...
Honest answer: slim to none. GM's official policy was that nothing not specifically authorized by Chevrolet was to be in the car when it shipped. AIMs have a page outlining exactly what those items were and where they were to be placed - some even have GM part numbers.

Anything and everything else was to be collected and trashed before the car got out of the building.

Based on what I've seen and read, any build sheet found anywhere in a car other than on the fuel tank was always discovered in a location which would not be visible to assembly line inspectors. If the inspector could see it, he/she grabbed it and trashed it.

I do not advocate gutting a car looking for the Holy Grail which may or may not be there, BUT, when doing other chores, always be on the look out for what may look like a nondescript piece of paper.

:thumbsup:

#5 ·
The 1970 Roadster I am working on had 68000 miles on it when I purchased it. It is a California car with little to no rust indicating a dry climate. One might conclude paper would survive on top the tank.

I pulled the factory interior out and pulled the body off the frame for the first time, I didn't find a build sheet anywhere. Not even on top of the tank.

I am the fourth owner and have no way of knowing if the tank was previously replaced. But considering the patina on top of the tank I don't believe it was ever touched, if it was replaced it was early in it's life (perhaps under warranty).

One other Corvette, a '69 435hp car with 12000 miles also didn't have a tank sticker attached. I purchased that car from the original owner and he had the original dealer invoice with the paperwork so I know it was correct. Maybe I have just been unlucky but to me even the build sheets attached to the tank are a myth.

I have never seen or heard of one attached under the dash until now.

#6 ·
...considering the patina on top of the tank I don't believe it was ever touched...Maybe I have just been unlucky but to me even the build sheets attached to the tank are a myth...
Not unlucky. Typical. It's probably honest to say not finding a tank sticker happens more frequently than finding a legible one.

The stickers were never meant to be permanently glued to the tank; they were a temporary aid for assembly line staff to check if needed until body drop. While the top of the tank is somewhat protected from the elements, it's still open to the atmosphere and road ****. A hastily glued tank sticker could have flapped away in the breeze eons ago.

Your invoice for the 69 is actually better than a tank sticker; the invoice has more detailed information on it.

#9 ·
Can someone give me the exact dimensions of a tank sticker please? We're they the same for each year?...
8 x 11 1/2" It's a standard paper size. For 68-72 they are printed in portrait format.

Beginning with the 73s, the format changed to landscape and the entries changed format.

Both formats were tractor feed, multipart forms printed on teletype printers at various locations at the plant. 68-72 build sheets usually do not include VIN or VIN information except for the final two copies; 73 and later sheets often contain VIN information.

St. Louis. If you look just beyond the fuel collar, you can see the tank sticker in place.

On the car behind this one next in line for body drop, a copy of a build sheet is taped to the nose of the car.

By 1981, they were taping sheets to the front of the fuel tank:

#15 ·
Tank Sticker Size

Mike, Great info and thanks. Question is, I have gotten responses back on the 67 tank sticker dimensions and have measured myself to be 6 1/4 x 8 1/4. I was pretty sure the late years were the same size until they changed the format, now i'm confused?
Also, standard paper is 8 1/2 x 11, are you saying 68-72 are that much larger than 67's?
Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.