Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Cranks but no start issue

3K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  wildcatlock 
#1 ·
Hey fellas, need some help here.......bought a '95 high mileage coupe on the cheap, knew coming in it had low oil pressure after warm-up and recent no start issues. I tried starting it for the 1st time today and it cranks, but won't start. It seems like it wants to fire every once in a while. I checked for spark on a couple plug wires and it seems kinda weak to me. I even tried spraying starter fluid in it to no avail. Previous owner said fuel in tank is about a year old. I added 5 fresh gallons and a bottle of Heat. It does have fuel pressure at schrader. I did notice a little antifreeze on top of the water pump which looks brand new. I'm wondering if it may be the optispark. I have no experience with these Lt1's and the opti.........how do I diagnose this problem? If it is the opti, should I replace it or go another route with the ignition altogether?

#2 ·
#5 ·
It's alive........barely. I put in new spark plugs and it fired right up, but the longer it ran the crappier it ran. I did buy cheap copper plugs just to see if it would start. I will pull codes next time I'm at the shop.

#7 ·
Frankenvette kinda at a standstill..........I rediscovered golf after 25 years away from the game and finding I enjoy it more than ever. Winter weather has put that on hold, so maybe I can get back to the cars. I bought this 95 to use as a driver since the 85 is ragged out and Frankenvette is so far from done. I don't think I have a fuel issue with the 95. There is alot of pressure at the schrader valve and I don't smell fuel in the oil. I have been known to be wrong, too.

#9 ·
Good looking 95. Always liked the teal on that body design. I can understand the golf situation. Frustrating as hell but I also keep going out to play. About the no start issue - Get an ohm reading on your injectors. They may be getting weak. Usually fail open but I have had them fail shut when hot. Get any codes pulled yet? That will help more than anything. Post results and someone here will get you pointed in the right direction. Reason I was thinking fuel issue was you got it running and the longer it ran the worse it got. Therefore you had air and spark which computer doesent control ( except timing ) which leads to fuel as my first check. Next check ( without any codes ) would be to make sure you have good spark and timing is good. If you make any progress on frankenvette post up some progress updates. I know I am still interested as it looked to have been a well done conversion and a high quality build. Interior in the 95 black or grey?:cheers:

#13 ·
OK, went to shop and retrieved codes before startup-C12, H97, & H71. Disconnected battery for a few minutes, hooked it back up, started car, and let it run for a few minutes. It started well and ran well for a few minutes, SYS light would come and go, then she started crappin out. I pulled codes again-C72, H72, H97, H71. I noticed fresh antifreeze on top of the water pump so I got a leak somewhere. I'm really startin to think it's the opti.......it really sounds like an electrical crap out in my experience, especially when you give it some rpm's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.