Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Automatic Shifter Ball Threading?

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  The Punisher 
#1 ·
I am working on the possibility of making a unique shifter ball for my automatic transmission shifter. I have not decided how I want it to look, or even the material or shape...but I know that the threading needs to be specific to the shaft, and the recess of the button needs to be accurate. Those things I can measure easily but I haven't tackled the thread size and pitch yet.

Does anyone know what that threading is?

Initially I am leaning towards an aluminum ball maybe with a ring of button head screws or rivets around the top, spaced a little out from the button.

No worries, I do not plan on a shifter ball full of colored LEDs like you find at Autozone. :smack

I'm also keeping my eyes open for something unique that can be adapted into a shift ball. Making it different and an instant conversation piece.

#4 ·
I'm wanting to make something sleek and classy. The 8 Ball trick is fun but not really for my kind of car.

I'm leaning towards brushed aluminum, maybe a subtle finned design, and possibly the mentioned buttons or rivets.

The threading on the stock shifter shaft is rather large and I don't have a tool to measure it. I was just hoping someone had that info handy.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I have a good idea about what I am going to do.

The other idea I had, which I searched for but haven't found...is to shorten my automatic shifter by an inch. I measured in every position and as long as I stay at an inch or less the ball won't ever hit the shifter plate when it's in 'P'.

Seems fairly easy. Measure and mark for my cut. I'll use a pipe cutter for the shifter, and then thread that to 5/8-18. Then I'll measure and use a Dremel cutoff on the gate lock rod, and thread it 1/4-20.

I still have to change the gate itself from putting in the TH200 automatic transmission, so I may take everything apart when I order a new gate and shorten everything then.

#10 ·
Speaking of the Shifter Ball,

What is this "plastic" supposed to simulate?

I'm assuming that GM's intent was "a fine hardwood", but mine just looks like a poorly painted plastic ball, my wife's 1970 version is not much better.

Perhaps it was just the state of the art in plastics in the 70's....:down:

I'd like to replace it with a nice polished stainless sphere someday, ......then again I'll probably eliminate it entirely with a T-56!:thumbsup:

#11 ·
Update on this. I am currently working with someone, who is helping me cut an exact replica of the stock shifter ball, but out of aluminum. It'll end up with a nice brushed finish.

Once I order the gate for a TH200R4 I'll pull it all apart, and shorten the shifter at the same time. Obviously I'll post before and after pics, and show everyone what it looks like with both the stock ball and aluminum ball on the shortened shifter tube.

#14 ·
I believe, if that's an SSR, that's not it's stock shift setup.

Actually, it looks like a C3 shifter assembly, complete with a silver painted stock ball.

The after market SSR shift knobs have a throat at the bottom, and don't seem to be drilled for a top button.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.