Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Z06 Tires

24K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  BJC99Hardtop 
#1 ·
Good afternoon all,

I am about to replace all 4 tires on my C6Z06 with Micheline Pilot Sports, but the guy I talked to at discount tire told me that I didn't need to necesarily get run flats. He said non run flats are available in the same size and they are cheaper. Is there any truth behind this and what should I do?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I am interested in the responses as well.

I need to replace my tires this Summer and can't help but be nervous about trashing my wheels due to a flat tire if running non-run-flats.

Everything I have read says that the performance is way better on the non-run-flats too.

#3 ·
Unless you are running on a track I don't think you will see much difference in EMTs and reg tires. The guy at the tire store probably has never driven a Z06 on or off the track. And is just blowing smoke out his ass.

I ran both for over 30k on and off the track, my best times were with the stock Goodyear's, my best mileage was on Kumo non run flats.

I you are the only drive and are concerned with cost go with non run flats.

If you have a wife or girl friend that rides in or drives the car stay with the EMT for peace of mind. One flatbed tow and possable damage to the car plus the flack you will catch from the wife or girlfriend will far out weigh the extra cost of the EMT's.

#4 ·
I sell tires for a living... The goodyears <any goodyear high performance tire> are over priced and after about 6-8k miles the compound gets harder than a preacher's dick. MIchelins or the Kuhmo's are the way to go... I'm on my 4th vette since 2006. 3 c-5's and now a c6, 3 of them have had and currently have khumo's.

#5 ·
If the car is anything close to a daily driver, and if you ever take trips, stay with the run-flats. Sooner or later you're going to need them. If it's just for running around town on weekends and occasional trips to the track, you could probably go with the non run-flats. To me, this decision is totally based on how you drive the car. :thumbsup:

Reactions: thummon
#8 ·
One thing to consider, is tire weight. Unsprung weight makes a huge difference in handling and launch. The non-run-flat Michelin rear tire weighs 3 pounds less than the Run-flat Michelin, and two pounds less than the OEM tire. The front wieghs 6 pounds less than the run-flat and 5 pounds lighter than the OEM. This is significant wieght when talking unsprung wieght, especialy in the front.

So the non-run flat would handle and accelerate better than the OEMs. Note that the tire wieght only improves acceleration due to better control of wheel hop, and therefor better traction. But handling and ride quality are greatly affected by lighter tires, wheels, etc. That said, one flat could ruin a nice day. You could buy one of the tire inflator kits that come with non-run flat equiped cars like the CTS-V. The kit comes with a pump and tire sealer. If you get a puncture the sealer will seal it, but if you cut a sidewall....your gonna need a tow. The pump inflates the tire if and when the sealer seals the puncture. You also could use the inflator that came with the car and just buy a can of fix a flat. :laughing:

#9 ·
Same old article we had a few years ago, I will put this out there Michelin are the best I got INVO right now and there not as good as the mich,,,, the good year Run craps no thank you, I go threw a set about every year and half. And yes different tires,, take what you want out of this but my Z06 is driven in the city and hard spirit driving for miles at a time, and wet,cold and some of the hottest pavement called Texas summer.

Runflats are good if you drive more than 300 miles from home stiff side walls great for corner. Just saying if you do a lot of road trips.

NON run flats just straight out are great.
But here is thing if you own a cell phone, call someone if you get a flat. I am sure someone will come and get you.

#10 ·
The OEM Goodyear's died at around 12K, being a runflat fan, peace of mind, etc., my second set of tires on my '10 GS were Michilin Pilot Sports RF's (about $2K), after 27K, with about 1/3 life left, the ride was hard, noisy, got on my nerves. Seemed like it was always a rough ride, no flex in the sidewalls.

After conferring with several other Vette owners, I could see a pattern growing and most were leaning towards the Nitto's.

Opted for a set (non-RF's, $1100) Nitto Invo's. What a difference, smooth, quiet, the ride was better than the new GY's when first bought the car.

Yes, lost the peace of mind with RF's, but just carry a plug kit and a little 12v compressor that fits in the rear hold.

#13 ·
I carry one of those tire inflator cans. Never had to use it for any of my Vettes but did a couple times in my regular family sedan. Worked every time. Now with tire pressure sensors seems like you should be able to stopped before the wheel gets ruined unless you have a complete blowout

#15 ·
I noticed no one reccomends the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position RFT. From what I've read on the other Forum, the Bridgestone run flats out perform all others in overall performance and wear.

Note: If you've ever witnessed a C6Z being winched up on a flat bed at night on the side of a dark road, it ain't pretty...especially with the front splitter (that you'll have to replace by the way) only rides about 2"-3" off the ground anyway. :lookinup:

Note Note: The sidewalls of run flats have to be stiff enough to support the weight of the car when all air is expelled from the tire which translates to little or no flex, stiffer ride quality and reduced cornering ability.

IT'S A SPORTS CAR. IT'S SUPPOSED TO RIDE STIFF. GET THE RFTs.

#19 ·
I noticed no one reccomends the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position RFT. From what I've read on the other Forum, the Bridgestone run flats out perform all others in overall performance and wear.
:agree:

Replaced the Not-so-GoodYears on my '03, '06 and present '08 Z06 w/ B PPs. Performance, ride and noise superior to anything GY ever dreamt up, for sure.

IF NOT for the +$500 I might've gone with Michelin, either way it'd be a RF. Being stranded will spoil my day just about as fast as a traffic ticket. :thumbsup:

#16 ·
I never have a spare when I'm in the Vette and my other cars may not have one that's not flat either. I never wear the tires all the way out and the last flat I had I believe Nixon was president. The gas saved over all those years by excluding the extra weight would probably buy me a new wheel if needed. When was your last flat and in the immortal words of Dirty Harry, "Do ya' feel lucky"?:thumbsup: If your really worried carry a can of Fix-a-Flat and maybe a small compressor.

#18 ·
:agree: Tire tech has come a long way and if you take care of them they will take care of you. Of course if the unexpected happens most insurance now includes 24 hr roadside assistance. If not get the RFs. I ditch them years ago and I have numerous 2K mile trips without problems. Comes down to Personal preference I guess.

#17 ·
i run non run flats the minute i need new tires. the difference in ride and the quiet is amazing. i belong to AAA so if i get a flat i just call them. it's really a non issue. i also have in my rear compartment a lug wrench a compressor which plugs into my cigarette lighter and a plug kit just in case i'm some where remote, i've never had to use them but it's good insurance.

#21 ·
I've been really happy with the Continental Extreme Contact DW tires. I have 255's up front and 295 in the rear and can't get the car to hydroplane with normal to spirited wet driving. Here is a tire test comparing the various high performance summer tires and the Conti's beat the Pilot Sports. The Michelins would have cost me about $425 and they have a 220 treadwear rating. The conti's cost about $225 and have a 340 treadwear. That's for the 295/35-18's on the rear.

Tire Test: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=140

I'm more into performance than status symbols and maybe the new PS tires are a bit better but with 1/3 less wear and nearly twice the cost the Conti's were an easy choice.

#25 ·
Good looking contact patch! Those are 180 Tread wear right? Nice choice:thumbsup:

#27 ·
Well those Kick the **** out of the Eagles!

#31 ·
Just bought a set of Nitto Invos today. The run craps were hard as a rock. I couldn't even let the clutch out without the rear tires spinning. I guess they were pretty old.

New sneakers should be here early next week.

#32 ·
My 1st corvette : 2013 427 60th ann. fully loaded

Just want to do a light performance upgrade with a stage 1 CF Hurricane CAI with 160 T-stat that should raise power to 535-540 HP... Any comments or experiences to share? Also concerned with tire life vs replacement cost; living in Montréal (Québec, Canada) with cold wheater in April; looks like traction control is not really efficient Under these conditions... Frequent wheel spins will reduce an aready very short usefull life?!... What's the best alternative? Don't mind paying 3K$ but would expect to drive over 25K miles which would mean more than 2 summers... so cost Wise; it would still be great!!!

#34 ·
S

I ordered factory rims from Detroit and nt05s front and nt05rs back haven't tried them yet. I think the pilot sport cups are a bad joke. So I bought 4 norco 1-1/2t scissor jacks welded bolts to replace handles and added a 1/2" 18 v Milwaukee impact wrench(a monster) so at events tire swaps will be possible.

#35 ·
I am loving the Nitto Invos that I put on my car a couple of weeks ago. I can only compare them to the Good Years that were on the car, but it is a world of difference. The ride is 100% better and the grip is fantastic.

The price was right, and Discount Tire shipped them same day. :thumbsup:

#36 ·
I got the Michelin PS non-run flats for the performance. I figure I have a cell phone, On-star, and a patch kit and compressor. Another factor in my decision was that if you have to "use" your run flats, it will ruin the tire and you will have to replace it. At least that is what I've been told.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.