Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

C4 weekend cruiser or C5 daily driver?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Reino 
#1 ·
Hey guys, another newb question here, and it is kind of unique so bear with me.

I currently have two vehicles: a 2004 Honda Accord and 1997 F250 diesel. The Accord is my DD and the truck waits patiently for snow days, a trip to Home Depot, and the annual fall hunting trip.

I'm interested in a used Corvette, but here is the dilemma: I want to spend around $12k-$15k. So I am looking at two options.

1.) Keep both other vehicles and buy a C4 outright. Only use the C4 as a pleasure cruiser and continue with the Accord as DD.

2.) Sell the Accord, for around $7k, and use the cash to up my Corvette price to $20k or so, which puts me into C5 territory. But now the C5 would be my DD, except for snowy days when I take the truck.

Which would you do? The Accord has been trouble-free and low-cost DD, which is hard to give up. But I'd also feel like I'd be wasting a Corvette by not driving it every day. The third option would be to DD a C4 and save a lot of money, but that might be a little ridiculous, considering I average over 1500 miles a month on DD. Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally I'm a fan of the C4 and I have one as a toy. I have a truck as my DD. Would I sell my C4 to own a C5 as a toy? No way! For what I have in my C4 I could have a C6...

Honestly this question is all personal preference. Which one do you like the most. It appears you have the means to so what you like best so if I were you I'd go drive some of the cars that appeal to you then pick the one you like best.

One more question, do you ever have a need for a 4 seater in your daily activies? If so forget the C5 daily idea.

#3 ·
I've only driven a C5. I've always liked the look of the C4, but (having never driven one), I believe the C5 is much more comfortable and handles better. I also feel like I could abuse the C5 more while having to be more delicate in a C4. There may be no truth to that...

My wife has a 4Runner so anytime we have to take extra people/dogs, it becomes the family car for the day. I cannot think of a scenario where I'd have 3+ people in the ar and one of them was not her (fratboy road trips are a distant memory.) I pretty much DD solo 99% of the time.

#4 ·
I'm a fan of the C5, so I would keep the Honda, and just buy a C5.

There's going to be times when you don't want to drive the Vette. There's going to be times when you have too many people to take the vette, and the Honda works for those times. If, after a few months, you find that you don't need the Honda - sell it. If, after a few months you find that you want a C4, then it's an easy swap to get one. I'm thinking that once you get use to the C5, you'll forget about the C4.

Good luck no matter which way you go.

#5 ·
#7 ·
Thanks everyone. As I expected, opinions on both sides. I can assume there is nothing like parking a C5 next to the boss's family 'Lux-U-V' every morning. It would also probably be the most fun considering the amount of monotonous driving from office to job sites that I do each week. I'm a manager for a big general contractor. On the rare occasion I come across a Chicano bricklayer rolling in a C4 (yes I know a few), I'd wave to him but also let him know why I'm the guy with the company logo on my jacket.

However, there is the waning legacy of the C4 in my heart. It's the Corvette of my childhood years. It was the car I first viewed underneath the swimsuit-laden women on my dad's garage wall. I tell myself that if I got into a later generation now, it would be unlikely that I'd ever own a C4 in the future.

The is a slight reservation of giving up a Honda which by far has been the most trouble-free vehicle I've ever owned. I know Corvettes are reliable-relative to the rest of the auto world-but not completely 'bulletproof' like the Accord (literally--it survived hundreds of hail assaults). But I have owngrown it, and I know it still can prove very faithful to a new owner.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.