Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

New Vette is about the Aero

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Andonis 
#1 ·
Also here

The precisely sculpted design of the all-new 2014 Corvette delivers more than just stunning good looks – every line, vent, inlet and surface has been optimized for performance.
by National Corvette Museum

“The all-new Corvette integrates more high-performance aerodynamic features than ever before, many taken directly from Corvette Racing,” said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. “For example, the front grill and radiator flow paths reduce lift, improving vehicle stability at high speeds by keeping the car pressed to the pavement. In addition, functional vents increase track capability by channeling air to the brakes, as well as heat exchangers for the transmission and differential.”

To develop the aerodynamic package, engineers started with data gleaned from years of on-track, high-speed performance from the Corvette Racing program – the most successful program ever in the American Le Mans Series and the 2012 GT Class champion. These techniques were applied to the production car using the some of the industry’s most advanced computer-aided modeling programs to predict and track airflow over, under and through the new Corvette’s body.

by National Vette Museum

We can see the front grille on the first pic. Well sorta..:buhbye:

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the use of the term through, I think it just confirms what we all knew that the Corvette has an extractor hood which I think is cool.

The current base Corvette has a drag co of .286, the 2007-2010 GTR is .27 while the 2011-present is .26. What is the aerodynamic goal of the C7 I now wonder.

#3 ·
It is very simple . It's all about traction. Ferrari Nissan and other car manufacturer use active aero to help aid traction. Not just spoiler. Example the GTR side mirrors are design to channel air to the rear spoiler. Ferrari uses active spoilers in the front of the 458 for better down force and better traction.

I believe the new corvette will follow this trend.

#6 ·
The base C6 has the best Cd numbers of any of the current C6 bodies... the Z06 was like .32 as i recall, (it's in the brochure) and i was surprise at how much less slippery the Z06,grand sport and ZR1 are compared to base. I suspect that the higher models will be just as slippery as the base with the new C7. One should always remember, downforce= drag so high speed stability needs more downforce.

I kinda fail to see all the ballyhoo about aerodynamics and such with the C7 since much of this has already been done with the C5 and C6. Perhaps active aero is what they might be talking about.

#12 ·
I laugh at these articles and interviews.

What is the chief design guy supposed to say? We put that there cause it looks good, but doesn't actually do a damn thing for the cars performance, in fact it takes .8mph off the top end? lol

You can probably look back at every vette release and plug that saying in. They have taken every gen and made it a little better (specs wise, not looks :D).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.