Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

NEW Grand Sport or USED C6 ZO6?

23K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  PhilZter 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm getting a C6...Period.
I just don't know which one.
I can get a BRAND NEW 2012 Grand Sport Coupe (1lt) for about $42K with all discounts I'm elligible for OR a 2006 Z06 (LOADED) with 21,000 miles for $40K...
Each time I look at each one I want THAT one...I'm a teacher and have been saving my pennies, and selling my current toys, and want to put about $30k down and finance the balance so my payment is LOW and I don't financially hate my new toy!
Any advice would be great!
Espescially from anybody who has owned both???
-Matt

#3 ·
Depends on what you are going to do with the car. If it's a daily driver, I would go with the GS, it's a new car with a warranty and a very comfortable daily driver.

I have one of each, and don't get me wrong, I love, love, love my Z06. But it's a very 'in your face' car to drive on a daily basis, and also would be expensive to repair in the event that something did go wrong with it.

The GS has plenty of performance for the corvette enthusiast and is a bargain for a car 6 years newer.

#4 ·
I have a 08 Z06 , and I can honestly say its the most fun I have ever had in a car. The GS in just a small step down from the Z06 in my opinion. Being that you are cost concerned I would go for the GS solely because of the warranty. I would also purchase the extended warranty for at least 6 or 7 years. It will be the cheapest insurance you can get. I can attest to having the warranty. I just had a data harness short out and melted down several modules and the PCM and the ECM. Had I not had the warranty the repair cost would have been over $7000.00. I paid $2400.00 for the 7 year,100,000 mile warranty. It has more than paid for its self in this one repair. These are not cheap cars to repair. The warranty it a no brainer. Just my .02.

#5 ·
I agree with the others. If you actually plan to race on a track or strip, get the Z. If not, the reliability and new mechanicals would point me to the GS. Good news -- you can't go wrong with this choice. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
Unless you go to the track, you will not fully utilize the performance of either car. In your situation, the biggest difference to me would be: Do you want to remove the targa top? If yes = GS. If no = Z06. And the new car warranty is huge.

#7 ·
As everyone is saying, it depends on what you are going to do with the car.

If you do track days, Z06 is unbeatable.

If you are going to drive it everyday, GS with removable top would be great.

Either way, you don't lose. Both cars are great value, and will always put smile on your face.

Happy Shopping!!! :thumbsup:

#20 ·
As everyone is saying, it depends on what you are going to do with the car.

If you do track days, Z06 is unbeatable.

If you are going to drive it everyday, GS with removable top would be great.

Either way, you don't lose. Both cars are great value, and will always put smile on your face.

Happy Shopping!!! :thumbsup:
This isnt the case anymore. The GS has all the strengths of the Z06 without the weaknesses. It has the track hardware, and more manageable power. Thats facts right there. Now if we were comparing the base C6 or Z06 then yes your reason holds. BUt not with the GS. The car is only 200lbs heavier, and a few boltons away from the same power level but with a much safer compression ratio. The GS is the hot setup these days.

#9 ·
I would go with the GS. It is a sweet ride, and has a warranty. Some of these early Z06's have had valve problems? I personally have never seen any of these issues, but you will find this issue on the valves, by searching this site, or Google.
Maybe wait a little bit for the C7 pics/video(real ones from GM) to come out. It is not that far away. You may want one of those bad boys, and with $30,000 down, that would be a great bargaining chip. Either way Good luck with your choice.:thumbsup:

#10 ·
I toiled through this myself, and in the end I chose the GS. I knew I would never drive the Z06 up to its maximum potential, and the GS is still pretty damn fast. It also has the visual drool factor of the Z06.

In my case, I spent the $20K I saved on other fun stuff.

#11 ·
Tough call. Your decision is like choosing between blonde twins and brunette twins. You win either way.

Just depends what you want.

The only thing to consider is that I have never heard a Z06 owner say "look at my Z06. It looks just like a Grand Sport".

#17 ·
I'm going thru the same dilemma myself, right now.

I know that I can boost the performance in the GS, but I can't put a targa roof on the Z06. I had a C5 Z06, which I loved, but from what I have read, the GS is easier to drive fast, and I doubt I will ever track the car.... SOOO...

I'm getting the Z06. lol

:thumbsup:

#18 ·
I agree with most of the others here, depends. But I must ask, if you can get a GS 1LT for $42k, couldn't you get a 3LT coupe for the same price? Personally I love the wide body look and the shark gill vents on the GS, but for a Daily driver the coupe allows for more tire choices at better prices with the same power and still plenty of performance for the street.

#24 ·
It all boils down to what you want.

I am seduced by the aura and the extra power of the Z06, but I know there are times when I would really enjoy the top down experience in the GS, and that extra power would probably not be missed, considering the way that I intend to use the car.

If I do decide that the extra punch would be nice (I'm a sucker for the sound of a nice cam, too), then I just tweak the GS a bit here and there...cam, exhaust, etc.

But it's certain I'm not gonna put a targa roof on a Z.

#25 ·
and that extra power would probably not be missed, considering the way that I intend to use the car.
It all depends on the way you drive. When I drive my father-in-law's 2011 GS, I notice a big difference between it and my Z06. On the one hand, his car is much more comfortable to drive than mine. On the other hand, the power and cornering are not even close. Whatever the numbers in the brochure say, the driving experience is really not all that similar.

On the warranty, my 2006 is still bumper to bumper. It costs me $1300 every 3 years to keep it covered.

#29 ·
Well that is in the complete opposite direction.:laughing: That 68 is still a sweet ride, like every vette. Post some pics when you can. Good luck with the new ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.