Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

C5 Z06 in action @ Nurburgring, Germany

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  holdenowner 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share a small video of my car doing a lap on the famous Nurburgring in Germany. This is my 3rd lap ever on this 13 mile (!) track, which takes forever to learn. I'm doing a practice lap and when watching the video you can notice that I do not drive as fast as I probably could have. This is because it is very difficult to see what direction the track will take after bends and crests. A lot of people are killed here every year, mostly motorcyclists. After learning the track, the laptimes can be improved a lot.

There are a lot of vehicles on the track and I pass a bunch of Porsches and motorcycles. This day they have what they call "touristenfahrt", which means tourist driving. Anyone can drive on the track with any road legal vehicle. This means that you can encounter anything from a Corvette C6 ZR1 to a tourist bus.

This track is addictive! They call it the Nurburgring virus. I caught it and I am going back for sure.:devil:

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C3Dm42G7xo

See less See more
#3 ·
I forgot to say that on days with tourist driving, you have to stop and go through a gate after each lap, which means that it is not possible to time a complete lap. Instead you time between the first and the last bridge over the track, hence the expression "Bridge to Gantry" or BTG, which is a way of comparing lap times. It is about 30 seconds less than a full lap.

The new ZR1 makes a full lap i 7:26 on an empty track. All the other vehicles on the track makes it impossible to come even close to those times. A very good BTG time for a non racedriver is about 8 minutes.

#8 ·
The buses add to the "death trap" aspect. Sorta like the Mad Max movie! :laughing:

You got people out there who can't drive on regular streets, much less a sweet track like that. No wonder people get killed!

:surprised

#15 ·
Thanks for posting. A great video and the car sounds so good! I would guess that even Europe has to love that sound of the 346.

One question; I thought they had banned video cameras a couple of years ago.

Any idea what the track rental rates are for the Ring? Seems like when Dodge rented the track for the Viper, the rates were not bad at all.

#16 ·
Added the link to my favorite!! :thumbsup: Awesome driving! Looks like you could've run it much faster if there was no cars/bikes holding you up.
Is the number shown on the digital gauge speed? (in km/h?) What was the top speed you could see on back straight?

#17 ·
Yes, it shows the speed in km/h. I reached about 235 km/h (147 mph) on the straight, but there is a gate that stops you about halfway into the straight, you can't really reach top speed, unless you rent the whole track (which RMA Trackdays did in november) and remove the gates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.