Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Air Box

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  War Machine 
#1 ·
Hello,

Has anyone cut the airbox openning to allow more air flow? My mechanic said he cuts the stock one open and between that and a K&N filter he has experienced a slight performance increase.
The sound it makes after modifications reminds him of the way it sounded when we flipped over the round air cleaner lids years ago. Kinda like the sound of the quadra-jet when you kicked in a four-barrel.

:huh:

#2 ·
Cut Out Lid

You can buy a cut out air box from Mid America and Ecklers. I cut my air box and with a little plexy and some Aluminium Dryer Vent tubing constructed a pretty nice cold air induction system for my 92. Unfortunately the 92 was totalled :toilet shortly after I constructed and I missed getting pictures. :bang

#5 ·
Coolblue65 said:
Save yourself the $40 and just cut it yourself!
Having never done this before and no reference to what shoudl be cut......I am not sure where to begin. :huh:

The work itself does not concern me - I have built a 327, M22, and automatic once, but I have never seen one cut. Have you done this or point me to a picture so I can see what exactly is cut out of the assembly?

Thanks!

#6 ·
I've cut mine, and would send you a pic, if someone can tell you if my 88 has the same kind of airbox as your car.

#9 ·
Personally, I would not pay someone to cut my original lid. Put that money to better use. You can either: A. Cut it yourself or B. Purchase a lid that is already nicely cut for you.

Mid-America, Eckler's, Corvette Central, etc. they all have them. Paired with a K&N filter, it's a nice modification. :)

#10 ·
Sorry it took a few days to get the pics. I'm kinda lazy:D
I misspoke on the first post. The air filter is held in at the bag so butting it out on the top won't affect the air filter being held in, at least on the early air box. You need to check the difference between the L-98 and your motor.

Here is the lid cut:

Here it is with the filter. You can see by the clean part of the filter how much of it was covered by the whole air box cover.

#11 ·
Mac4Jim said:

The sound it makes after modifications reminds him of the way it sounded when we flipped over the round air cleaner lids years ago. Kinda like the sound of the quadra-jet when you kicked in a four-barrel.

:huh:
He is correct. It sounds like a carbed or TBI motor when you tap the throttle w/ the air cleaner lid off. On mine it's loudest at start-up and quiets down a bit when the engine is warmed up. As far as performance, I'm not really sure there is much, if any and if there is it won't be enough for you to feel it.

#14 ·
If you want some nice performance with air. Then check out the breathless performace air induction system. It will run you 300 bucks but you will feel this power gain. Here is the link to the product if you are interested. I put it on my 86 and it is very noticable. When you get on the throttle the sucking noise is so loud and aggressive with this system. 2:thumbsup: 's up

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=3.12.724

#18 ·
vettefever88 said:
Thats the one I have... I ordered mine from Ecklers. Ecklers is cheaper and the product is great. Plus the clear cover looks nice. All you have to do is cut into your shroud. Also, if you have a z-51 car it will do better with the better spoiler and air dam.:)
would you say it is worth the purchase? or did buyers remorse set in :bang looks to me like it should be worth it though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.