Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

77 Engine bay clean up...what can go?

7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  John 65 
#1 ·
Even though we had discussed an LS swap into the 77, we're gonna make that more of a "long term plan." Right now, we're gonna swap in another 350 (from an 85) and keep the carb on the top. 200r4 trans will give me the OD gear that we wanted as well.

This is Florida daily driven car. NO emissions testing to worry about.

EGR...can this whole system be eliminated? Obviously, I'd cap all the lines that would otherwise cause a vac leak, but is there any harm?

Heat riser and shielding...on the drivers side exhaust manifold. The flexi pipe leads into the air cleaner housing. Can all this be kept off?

Cruise control is getting ripped out too. No need for it.

Is there anything else that can be deleted/removed to clean up the spaghetti tangle of hoses and wires that live under the hood?

Thanks!

#2 ·
The EGR system can be removed safely, but you will want to remove the EGR Valve as well and buy the block off plate.

The flex hose from the drivers side to the air cleaner can also be removed. It serves to send warm air to the carb for cold starts until the engine is warmed up, that shouldn't be much of a problem in Florida :)

That will remove one vacuum hose and the stovepipe, not much cleaning out of stuff, but its a start. Most of the vacuum hoses are for the headlight system. Check this thread for an option on headlights :

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164904

Post #3 is the main one I'm considering doing to my own car.

#3 ·
There is a large group of wires and vacuum hoses that run across the top of the vacuum booster, and I found that all of them can be routed UNDER the boosted to clean up that corner.

I also moved the horn relay into the wiper trough in the indention, and just rerouted the wiring in to it.

I did plenty of other things to clean up my '77, but since it's so heavily customized most of the suggestions won't apply to your car.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. Got the motor and trans out today. Gonna be building the new motor soon and getting the thing back on the road.

Suspension rebuild is next. Figure this is the easiest time to do it. No motor in the way. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
Yup, reusing the ol' Q-jet. How should I rejet it? What are the new settings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.