Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Problem with the trunk lid on a C5 2002 Convertible.

11K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Junkman2008 
#1 · (Edited)
Problem with the trunk lid on a C5 2002 Convertible.

The trunk lid will release and slightly pop up .
I am unable to lift the trunk lid with my fingers because it does not pop up enough.
The original owner , when I bought the vehicle last week, told me that he had this problem before and still had it after a Chevy dealer adjusted it back in 2005
The only way, currently, you can get the trunk lid up is to slam the door then the trunk lid because of the pressure pops up enough to open it.
There must be a fix for this problem .
Need assistance .
Thanks,
Your friend,
Mel
email melalice2004@aol.com

#2 ·
I think I once heard about spraying the latch throughly with some wd40 but not quite sure.I also know that they make a kit that pops the trunk lid higher .i am sure there are some threads in here somewhere that talk about this prob.Ill make a shout out for you .Hey JUNKMAN help this guy out !!!!Hopefully he reads this:thumbsup: Vettes Rule!!!!:partyon:

#6 ·
...Hey JUNKMAN help this guy out !!!!Hopefully he reads this:thumbsup: Vettes Rule!!!!:partyon:
First of all, she is probably going to slap you when she sees you because Mel is a woman! :surprised

Now Pat, he's a baller and he can afford to go the baller route with the kit he suggested. :laughing:

For the rest of us broke men, we have to go the less expensive route. Here's what you need Mel, the Trunk Popper, specially made for C5's. Only $18.45 and that includes the tool to install it and shipping. All of the other suggestions that I have seen on the forums worked for a little while but you had to keep addressing the problem. This little device will remedy it all together. As Steve (Krzytrain) did, you can make your own. But if you take any pictures of it, make sure to use your camera's "macro" function...

STEVE! :laughing:

#4 ·
Patrick is right as usual, that would be why he is our fearless leader.

But im poor so here is what i did...i have a 99 vert.

Spray the latch real good with WD40 and that will help. Go to Lowes and buy some real good little springs, i bought a pack of them that have several differant size springs in it, i think it was in the section where they sell nuts and bolts. You will need the spring, a couple of washers and some little felt pads like you would stick on the bottom of a chair leg so you dont scratch your old ladies nice floor.
On the underside of the trunk lid there is a latch with screw on each side, mount the spring with a washer to one of the screws and put the felt on the other side of the spring so you dont tear up your carpet. This is a bad pic but it might help.

Now im no Junkman!!! he probly has pictures with arrows and stuff and detailed directions...that would be why he is the king of the DIY'rs

#7 ·
Thanks for your expertise and the help.

Hi Junkman,

Thanks for the info.
I hope this $18.45 solution will work .
The trunk lid really a pain.
Your expertise is always appreciated.
Thanks,
Your friend,
Mel
P.S. my email has my wife's id on it.

#9 ·
AJ,

He is always been right and he is almost right due to the fact that my wife is the typist for most of my threads because she types with both hands and I use 2 fingers.
So AJ is not incorrect and no one has to get in line.

Your friend,
Mel:cheers:

#16 ·
Go to www.c5TrunkPopper.com. for $15.95 he gives you the spring, cap and even the Torx driver to install. Poor design by good ol' GM but this solution works fine. You can go to Lowe's but this is a no hassle fix for short money.

#18 ·
I just ordered one of these....maybe i wont have to keep replacing the springs on my home made one now. Wish they has a chrome option though :laughing:

Ohh and sorry i didnt get the pics on here last night for you, i went to happy hour with some friends and uhh well you know how that goes. Slept on the couch last night :thud:

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.