Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

C5 or ZR1, CTS-V or Challenger.

9K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  rickv 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
Top Gear in Reno, USA

My name is Bill K and I am from Reno.

Just to give you a little update on the ZR1, CTS-V and the Challenger.

The 3 cars were here in Reno for some minor mods before heading to the Salt Flats for some tests, A friend of mine was contacted my Top Gear to do the work and I was there first hand.

The work performed was to add driveline safety hoops and fire extingushers. Here are a few pictures of the cars at the shop, The first picture is me in the ZR1.

Sorry the quality isn't great, The light was really bad.

If you look close you can see all the camera stuff in the car windows.

The ZR1 has ceramic rotors
http://jalopnik.com/5052199/uk-top-...rica-tests-corvette-zr1-challenger-srt8-cts+v

Thanks.

Bill K

Me in the ZR1.

See less See more
#10 ·
Its a steel hoop mounted under the car. It surrounds the driveshaft.

If it, or any driveline component breaks (u-joints are most common) usually on launch. The driveshaft is contained in the hoop and doesn't come up through the floor and cause potential injury.

I've seen it happen one time, and it was ugly. U-joint broke at the rear, of course the driver didn't react quick enough to get off the gas. And the driveshaft busted through the floor and broke his arm.

It's amazing the way it ripped through the steel floor. Absolutley showed it no mercy.

Rick

#18 ·
Cool pictures! Looking forward to what Clarkson is going to say... seems he always something negative to say about American cars...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.