Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

C4 -92 Auto Turn Signal lever doesn't engage

9K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Arcezzu 
#1 ·
Hi all

One day when I was trying to engage the turn signal lever for a left turn, it suddently was no resistance in the lever. I can throw it up and down and it doesn't engage at all. And if it does, then I can't cancel it using the lever. I would have to pull the steering wheel left/right to do a turn signal cancel to get it to stop flashing.

I have removed the turn signal lever today and I felt that the switch it connects to feels kinda loose (I can almost move it around in the little space it's fitted in).

Does anyone know if this is caused by worned out plastics? I am talking about this device: http://www.ecklers.com/images/vette/37478.jpg
that the lever is connected to.

Since I live in Sweden I have trouble getting a new spare part. Has anyone had the same problem and made a successful repair or something? The only problem is that it doesn't engage.

Another question too.. Does anyone know if I have to pull the steering wheel? As there is no problem with the turn signal cancel I thought I wouldn't need to.

Thanks people

Sincerely,
Krill

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello, It sounds like you need a new turn signal cam and the part you listed is correct. I have replaced several over the years and its no big deal . do you have service tech manuals ? if no you should buy them I found mine pretty cheap on Ebay and its the best investment you will make and will show you step by step how to repair. if you need any more help PM me.:thumbsup:

#7 ·
OK i'm back.

I bought a steering wheel puller and removed the steering wheel without problems.. But now my Chilton's manual claims I need special tool "J-23653-C - Shaft Lock Compressor".. Did you have to use one of these when you did this the last time?

It's supposed to be required to reach the turn signal cancelling cam and all other **** underneath.

EDIT: I also have trouble getting the column trim panel off. I'm supposed to pull it towards the vehicle front but I find that impossible. It's stiff as f*ck :(

Thanks,
Krill

#11 ·
Okay, I found that tool by pure luck i guess.

I have now teared down everything, the only problem left is the wiper switch harness connector (which is quite wide).. How the f* did you get that through the column? The books says it's done in no time.. No quite my case I can say.

I have removed the panel underneath and the only thing left now is to get the switch wiring trough the column.

Anyone have any pictures of this or some good info on how this can be done?

Thanks,
Krill

#13 ·
Sorry I have forgot to reply to this thread.
All went OK after a bit of trouble and the turn signal is now working properly.

EDIT: The turn signal cam kit was the wrong part for me (my old one was fine). I had to get a new windshield wiper switch from CC, since the old one was broken. It also looked like the new one was reinforced where the old one had got broken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.