Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Can this be a bolt on replacement piece?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  72SBVet 
#1 ·
I checked out a very cheap 72 today. I noticed some water spots trailing down the windshield. While standing outside the car with the T-tops off I ran my fingers under between the windshield and interior plastic header trim and I felt rust flakes crumbling off as I moved my fingers along.

Question: The chrome T bar and chrome top parts look good. Somehow water got in under that trim and rusted out (I didn't take this apart). I seem to remember there is a separate frame part on top of the windshield? Is this area a screw/bolt on replacement part? Is this a PITA job if not?

#3 ·
The chrome part is usually fine but water does get under it and it eats and rots the metal structure which makes up the top portion of the birdcage. Once it's rotten, it has to be cut out, and new metal has to be welded in place. Typically, guys will use a donor car's birdcage and cut what's needed from it.

Lots and lots of labor.

#6 ·
Something's wrong, I bought an AIM through Mid American (Blue binder) and it doesn't have nearly the details and information that you have. Do you mind sending me a link or something that shows which one you have so I can get one? I recently bought a GM service manual and it turns out to be the wrong one too.

#8 ·
Look at my body work or windshield thread as I replaced some of the t-top bar area. I have 90% of the t-top bar and cowl area as all I used was the pillars. The t-top bar runs to the back rear windshield area and requires you to cut a section of your glass out to remove the rivets holding it in place....all in all it's a PITA and since mine was still good I forewent it. Chances are if there is flaky rust it's starting to rot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.