Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

For those who think the rear resembles a Camaro

36K views 205 replies 60 participants last post by  Junkman2008 
#1 · (Edited)
#131 ·
Looking like a CAMARO in the rear is the main thing that you hear over and over from LOTS of people!! If that is the case, there has to be something there!! You can even see it in the whole shoulder, rear window, rear fender treatment. They pretty much took the Camaro taillight shape and angled them in towards the middle. It's all part of their brand-recognition, family-resemblance thing! Sorta like the stupid little GM badge they put on all of the vehicles for awhile!!

Reactions: Junkman2008
#132 ·
Looking like a CAMARO in the rear is the main thing that you hear over and over from LOTS of people!! If that is the case, there has to be something there!! You can even see it in the whole shoulder rear window, rear fender treatment. They pretty much took the Camaro taillight shape and angled them in towards the middle. It's all part of their brand-recognition, family-resemblance thing! Sorta like the stupid little GM badge they put on all of the vehicles for awhile!!
Bingo. Some folks are just in denial. GM has even went as far as to make ALL their dealership showrooms look EXACTLY alike! This common theme is the new GM style. Anyone can see this!

#137 ·
The back resembles a Chrysler Crossfire to me... some others have already agreed with that so i am not alone...

The real question is... why is everyone saying it looks like something else. Is it a crime to be recognizable as a corvette?

The tail lights are the least of the problem...

Why then does the new impala NOT have Camaro corporate rear lights? check out the new Impala which i find to look very nice....

And the resemblance to the Camaro is shockingly clear when Chris Draper cut the two in half.... there are many busy lines... but the Camaro got away with it... a corvette cannot because it is a flagship car.

#141 ·
The Rear Ends

The Camaro's tail lights are similar in theme but also different. The rear end of the Camaro looks dull and bulbous, while the Stingray's looks modern and expressive, aggressive just like the front. The Vette's rearend is not perfect, but it looks way better than when it was first shown my Jalopnik. MHO!:thumbsup:

#142 ·

One thing SRT did get right and it is my biggest gripe on the C7 are the vents below the taillights!! The little body piece between the taillights and the vent makes a HUGE difference!! I can live with the lights of the C7 it's the masked-bandit vents that are still turning me off!!

#171 ·
This is the coolest looking Corvette in decades.

Provacative. Daring.

Can't wait to get one.

#172 ·
Frankly, I'd like to see this thread closed. We have two groups of people who are stead fast Corvette loyalists, that have opposite opinions and are absolutely positive that the other group is wrong.

Because the opinions are based on subjective evaluations, no one is wrong and neither group can be proved wrong.

There is no way the posts in this thread can resolve the differences of these subjective opinions, so it is doomed to lead to fighting and squabbling with nothing achieved, nothing settled, only two groups that are pissed off at each other.

IMO FWIW.

PS - Yes I could close it myself. But unless most of you agree this is fruitless, it would just start up again in a new thread.

Reactions: wachuko and Atheris
#174 ·
Welcome to the internet.

:laughing:

I believe these squables will continue as long as man is alive and mankind remembers the introduction of the C7 Corvette.

:laughing:

Just like the split window C2, they will talk about the introduction of hamburgler tail lights on the C7. Hopefully, both will be one year items. :D

#180 ·
i dont much care for the rear either but then i hated the rear on the C5. today i love the C5 .
its a shock to me only that they are moving away from the tradition of the round lights but as time goes by we change and car design changes too.
I was dead against the headlights of the C6 but it suits the car design and i really love the C6. :thumbsup:

#184 ·
This is hilarious. I get a call from a buddy of mine who has a C6. He just got his first look at the new C7. Now keep in mind that he is not a Corvette enthusiast and he knows nothing about forums. This is exactly what he says to me.

"Tell me what you think. I was just looking at the new Corvette and is it me or does the back end of it kinda remind you of a Camaro?"

I about passed out. He said it as if he thought that what he was saying was stupid but he wanted me to be objective when giving him my opinion. I wish I could have recorded our conversation because he is typical of people who know enough about cars to distinguish which is what, but is not in touch enough with the Internet to be influenced by boards like ours. It was classic. I rest my case.

#205 ·
My 12 year old son is the exact same as your friend. Loves cars but, is clueless to forums and the rear controversy on the C7.

So he comes over and looks at pics and I say what do ya think. He says, wait for it...

"The rear kinda looks like the rear of the new Gallardo with those vents at the lights". :WTF

So I go looking, and I gotta say he kind of has a point. Some see Camaro including me, but this kid see's Gallardo. It just goes to show everyones different.

#185 ·
I really do not understand how people can confuse a Camaro and the new Vette. Even if it looked somewhat like a Camaro rear end. What is the big deal....

The Porsche Carrerra GT took many cues from the much lesser Porsche Boxer and not one peep from the porsche lovers.

I know al ot of people that know just enough about cars to e determine what is what, but when you ask these same people they cannot differentiate between a Ferrrari 458 Italia and a Ferrrari F12 Berlinetta. Come to think of it, many car guys cant decipher one or the other as well.

#190 ·
Obviously it doesn't look EXACTLY like a Camaro... it's the shape of the tail lights and the clunky rear end that give it's resemblance.
EXACTLY. That's all anyone is saying. No one claims they're exactly alike but at first glance, the new Camaro is the first thing that comes to mind.

#191 ·
I don't see any resemblence either, because I'm looking at the whole rear of the car. I can see how if just the tailights are focused upon, someone could make the connection to them and those the Camaro has.

A more obvious (to me) similarity are the door panels. From the photos, the Corvette's almost look to be the reverse of the Camaros.

So far I haven't read a post by anyone who has actually seen the car at the show that doesn't like it... a lot. I think the proof is in the pudding and when I see it in person, I'm sure I'll like it even more than I do now.

BTW, does anyone know if you have to raise the hood on the C7 to pull the wipers away from the windshield? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

#195 ·
... So far I haven't read a post by anyone who has actually seen the car at the show that doesn't like it... a lot.
And what's the difference from seeing it at the show and seeing a high definition video of the car? Does it change shape in person or does it cast a spell on you? :huh:

I don't know of any posts by members saying that the C7 taillights, or rear fascia are identical to the current Camaro. I, for one, would disagree with such a post. Many, many of us - and elsewhere on the net - have described the C7 taillights as being inspired by the current Camaro and in our opinion, someone seeing the rear for the first time could definitely think they are seeing a next generation Camaro.
BAM. Home run! :thumbsup:

;) . . . hell I'll go with the expert research on this subject any day!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
:laughing: :laughing:

You should see my double-blind survey studies. They're doubly delicious! :D

#196 ·
I'm lurking when I can ... busy at work ... and to be honest I'm caring less and less about the C7. Those that love it ...good for them. There will never be one in my future so why should I argue about it?

However, I am curious about some of the specs and especially the actual weight as being discussed on another thread. There are reports that GM is saying it weighs more than the C6 despite the AL HF rails, hallowed subframes and other suspension parts, plus CF components. Numbers are my profession, so I'm having a hard time accepting a heavier C7 based on known information ... and that a heavier C7 with only 14HP more that is faster than the base C6? Does not compute. Only time (...and more details) will tell.

#200 ·
Longtimer my comment was directed towards you , and I think you've been more than respectful with your post. I just used your comments as the quote. Closed minded comment is for people who just call it Camaro tail lights,with no other thought. I'm saying keep a open mind, or you'll never see anything. I don't care if you love it, or hate it. We all have our own tastes,that's fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.