Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Stuck in park (intermittently) Help?

58K views 52 replies 23 participants last post by  Zuel 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Does anyone else ever have this problem?

Of course, it's intermittent and probably won't "act up" for the Chevrolet Dealer.:rolleyes:

Here's my situation.;)
Every once in a while, I'll try to put my Auto trans into gear, and it won't let me...almost like the buttons stuck. I'll shut the car off and try again; it will sometimes work right away, sometimes not. So far, it hasn't left me stranded, but it does leave me a little scared it's getting ready to. I called my service advisor, and he said Corvettes don't usually have this kind of problem, and unless they can duplicate it, nothing can be done.

What do all my Corvette friends think it may be, and have any of you experienced this with your C6?

Thanks, guys!

#5 ·
I agree with racingvette....this just happened on Holley's Aveo...the brake pedal sensor crapped out...therefore the car didn't know when the brake pedal was applied and therefore wouldn't allow you to shift out of park....and more importantly, the brake lights weren't coming on. No codes were thrown. $18 at Autozone and 10 minutes later, I had the part out, swapped and we were in business again.

In the mean time, I would see if there is a "shift lock" release somewhere...usually you have to put a key in it...that will disarm the shift lock feature...but you have to do it each time you want to start the car. This way you won't get stranded.

#7 ·
vetteluv:

Yes, I have had the same problem in my C6. Below is a message I posted to one of the DC members and his response. I still haven't gotten mine checked out, but remain worried that I will get stranded as well. If anyone else has any thoughts on the issue, it would be great to hear them. Thanks.

+++++++++++++++++++
Dear Grumpy:

I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere, but when I tried to do searches previously I could never find anything.

I have an '05 C6 coupe Z51 w/ automatic. On numerous occasions now, I've had trouble getting the car out of park after I start it. It's as if the shifter is stuck and will not release. Sometimes by pressing down on the shifter "button" over and over I can get it to release (or go down far enough to release), but sometimes I have to re-start the car and just keep trying unitl I can get it to move. I had thought it was something like the electronics not reading that the brake pedal was depressed (and would press and release it several times to see if it would change things), but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I'm afraid that I'm gonna end up getting stuck somewhere. Any ideas?

+++++++++
it sounds like the shifter linkage, or the interlock to the ignition might need a minor adjustment, or the switch under the dash that detects the petal being depressed might be loose, but let me ask a question, does this happen on level parking spots or only on slight inclines?
if only on inclines try pushing the standard brakes firmly, then setting the emergency brake and releasing the standard brakes , allowing the car to roll a few inches taking up slack in the drive train BEFORE placing it in park
as a test next time it happens have a buddy rock the car,forwards & back a couple times if it frees up, easily its a linkage adjustment in most cases
your close enough that, if you can,t figure it out, you might think about driving over and I can look at it?

+++++++++
Thanks Grumpy. And no, it is not only on inclines - happens anywhere.

Do you think this is something the dealer would need to look at? (Uggh, I hate taking it to the dealer as you never know who will actually end up working on the car and/or what they know.) Or, do you think a good local Corvette mechanic would be able to help with the things you describe?

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

+++++++++
. . .yes a dealer should be able to fix that problem very easily with little chance of screwing something up!

#8 ·
I wonder if it was a problem on 05 Vette's only. So is your problem getting worse now or about the same? I'd take mine to the Dealer but I'd have to leave it until it exhibits the problem. Who knows if it will "act up" for them, I do know I don't want it sitting at Chevrolet for weeks.:lookinup:

#9 ·
The condition has gotten no worse, but no better either. It is very intermittent and I hate it. But I also hate having to take it to the dealer. It's my daily driver so I can't (and wouldn't) leave it there for any length of time. I was hoping to get some testimonials from others who may have had the problem as to exactly what it was and how to fix it so that I could tell the dealer and hopefully shorten it's visit with them.

-Richard

#10 ·
Call Corvette Masters in Maitland...they might be able to mail it down quickly...it might be something they can even walk you through.

#11 ·
I thought this was a problem that i shared alone. Im in a c5 but if i dont drive for a few days or its the first start up of the day, I try and it wont let me. Then a minute later, boom, like nothing ever happened. I never figured it out.:thud:

#12 ·
I'm going to have my Husband look it over this weekend when he has some extra time. Hopefully he can figure it out quickly. Like I said when it's intermittent, makes it difficult to fix the problem.

C5 now with the same problem...that sucks.:thud:

#13 ·
Well my husband got in last night to check it out and it also got stuck for him. He pressed down repeatedly and (very forcefully might I add) trying to pull the shifter up and down getting it to finally release and it worked.:surprised

I drove it quite a bit today with no problems and it is much easier to press the button now.:WTF Guess that's how you men operate just beat the **** out of it until it works.:thumbsup::laughing: Important thing though is it does seem to be moving into the gears much smoother...go figure.:crazy:

#14 ·
when/if it happens next... listen intently while you slowly depress the pedal if u dont hear a slight click then its prolly either the brake sensor or the actual lockout servo recieving the signal from the brake sensor, which is designed to physically prevent the gear shifter from going into a gear

#40 ·
I have tried all of the above on my '08 but it seems to have a mind of it's own. When it works, it works fine and when it doesn't, nothing seems to cure it. Today I tried just holding the brake pedal down until I heard the infamous "click" and I moved it out of Park. I drove around the block and put it back in the garage and killed the engine. I restarted it and the same thing happened but the same proceedure worked. Maybe I'm on to something but the one thing I learned was never put the car in Park while stopped at a red light in traffic.

#15 ·
Appreciate all the input. I haven't called a vette tech yet, but probably will end up doing so or taking it in somewhere.

I do hear the "clicks" when pressing the brake pedal and thought about that condition early on, but it just doesn't seem to follow any pattern. I've tried being forceful with it and I've tried being gentle. You never know what is going to work.

Sometimes it will go for a week without it happening and then other times it will happen two or three times in a row when starting.

#16 ·
Well I've been driving my car quite a bit the last few days since my Husband did the "Forceful fix" as I shall now call it and it's working perfectly! There is no more hard to press button, it shifts into gear nice and easy now.:thumbsup: Just thought I'd let you guys know. Strange Huh?:crazy:

#17 ·
i've always been fond of the bigger hammer approach :D

#20 ·
chevy needs to fix this

I have had my 2005 C6 into dealer numerous times, of course it did not get stuck there. No codes. Chevrolet new it was an issue in 2005 because it is in the manual to try turning switch to accessory, depress the brake, move shifter to neutral and then start. That does not always work either. I have even put the key fob into the override slot in glove compartment. Sometimes that helps. Still looking for an answer. I would love to remove that safety lock from shifter. Is that possible?

#24 ·
I have had my 2005 C6 into dealer numerous times, of course it did not get stuck there. No codes. Chevrolet new it was an issue in 2005 because it is in the manual to try turning switch to accessory, depress the brake, move shifter to neutral and then start. That does not always work either. I have even put the key fob into the override slot in glove compartment. Sometimes that helps. Still looking for an answer. I would love to remove that safety lock from shifter. Is that possible?
Hacksaw,

I'm sorry you are having this issue. Could you send me your information (full name, number, address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer) so I can look into your situation?

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service

This post has been deleted
#22 ·
Mine 2005 C6 has only 30,000 miles but I cannot trust it. Missed a sales meeting this morning. What the heck? Need a fix. Not lore, I don't think Chevy knows what is wrong. This is my fifth Corvette, doubt I will ever buy another.
yes you can take the shifter out and break the black plastic park lock by bending back an forth, thats what i did, works great now can even put in neutral and push without in accessory mod running the battery dead in the staging lanes, one guy pulled up the boot cover and wired the lock in the up position:thumbsup:

#25 ·
I continue to have this problem and it's been going on for more than 3 years. I had no luck inquiring of a good local Corvette tech - saying there was no way to know for sure what it was and they would likely have to replace the entire shifter and still then could not guarantee that it would fix the problem.

The longer I deal with it, the more it seeems to be something in the shifter mechanism itself (the lock not releasing) rather than something with it not recognizing that the brake has been depressed. I can't tell you how annoying it is. It just comes and goes on its own.

If anyone finds the root of the problem, please let us know.

Thanks.

#33 ·
Mine has been doing this as well. Seems 06 and later is OK, but all C5s and C6s with the same A4 automatic has this issue. dennis50nj, can you describe your 'fix' a little more? I'm not sure I quite grasped what you did. I've read too many threads about this where the dealer couldn't fix it correctly. I don't want to spend 1000+ replacing the shifter only to have it happen again.

#38 ·
Sticking Gearshift

Hello, I also have a C6 with an Intermittent Sticking gearshifter, Called Dealership And advised me that Entire Assembly had to be Replaced at a cost of about $ 1,000 for this Problem, , He then Heard a Dial tone, Not interested in spending piles of cash At this time, Now I go into the Trial and error Phase of DIY Garage Fixes and Whala !!! I found a common Item in all Of Your Garages that will Most likely fix The Problem, You guessed it WD - 40, Place the Injector Hose of the WD - 40 into the Corners of the Push Button of the Gear Shifter and give it a Quick Spritz working all 4 Corners, Run The Shifter through all Gears a Few times and That should do It, Hope it works for you like it worked for Me, Joe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.