Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

DIY - How to Fix Door Lock and Window Problems

38K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Junkman2008 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
How to fix power door lock/unlock problems:

If you are having problems with your power door locks not working all of the time, you most likely have defective control relays that will need to be replaced. The following will explain how to remove your door control module from the door and allow you to replace the relays. My thanks to JunkMan 2008 for letting me use his pictures.

1. With the door open, remove the small plastic cap located behind inside door handle and remove the two Torx screws.

2. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to remove the oval bezel behind the inside door handle.

3. With a small flat tip screwdriver, pry out the door reflector from the bottom. Remove all torx screws located behind the inside door handle and behind the reflector.

4. Pry up and out the window/lock control panel from the inside door handle. Remove the wiring plug from the back of the window/lock panel.

5. Use a large flat tip screwdriver or a pry tool that looks like a two prong fork (available at any automotive parts store) and pop out the plastic pins that hold the door panel onto the door frame. Insert the tool near each pin and between the door panel and the door and pry the door panel out. If you break a pin, don’t worry, most auto parts stores carry them for a buck or two.

6. Lift the door panel up and out. Make sure any wiring connectors don’t get hung up as you remove the door panel.

7. Locate a small black box with three wiring connectors. The black box is just behind the stereo speakers. Remove the two torx screws that hold it in place.

8. Removing the lock/unlock or window relays is not easy and you can easily damage the circuit board rendering it useless unless you have the proper tools and skills. If you feel this is too risky or above your pay grade, shoot me a PM. A Corvette mechanic in Canada ruined his door control module because he thought he could solder. A new door control module will run you about $450 depending on where you get it. If you buy one off Ebay, you’re likely to buy someone else’s problem.

You will be able to operate your car while the door control module is out, you just won’t be able to operate the power window or the power door lock for that door.

9. Re-assemble in reverse order.

Power window problems:

If your having problems with your power window not going down, turn on your ignition switch to the ‘ON’ position, then sit inside the car and hold down the window down button and slam the door closed hard several times. Most of the time that will fix the problem. If that doesn’t work, turn the ignition switch ‘OFF’ and remove your door panel following the direction above. Remove the stereo speakers and disconnect the speaker wires. Look inside the door through the hole left by the speakers and you will see the window motor/regulator. Using a small mallet, TAP on the bottom of the motor a few times. Reconnect the widow control panel, turn ‘ON’ the ignition and then try the window again. If that doesn’t fix the problem then you may have a defective motor/regulator or a faulty window relay on the door control module. What usually happens is the motor armature gets stuck inside the motor housing and slamming or tapping on the housing will free it up to work again. I am always available to answer your email questions and to discuss your problem in detail so don’t hesitate to drop me an email.

No power to the door:

If your door locks AND your window doesn’t work, open the door and pull back the black rubber accordion boot located by the door hinge. You will see wiring connectors inside there. Pull the connectors apart and inspect them for any signs of wear or dirt. Use contact cleaner from Radio Shack to clean the connector pins/sockets. Make sure no pins are bent. Inspect the sockets to make sure nothing is discolored from electrical arching or looks worn out or too large. Look for any frayed wires going into the connectors and tape them up with electrical tape. Reconnect everything and do one last inspection. Then try the window again.

See less See more
#6 ·
relay sounds like it's working

Hi I read through your instructions on how to get to the module and the relay. But it seems my relay is working I can hear it click when I mash the window/lock/unlock button. But the window will not roll down or lock the lock, although it will un-lock the lock.

I am pretty sure the window is OK motor/regulator, because it worked one time coming home from Vegas while I was playing with the lock. Rolled down (then up) great but has not worked since.

I know this will take me taking things apart and trouble shooting the problem, but any insight would be helpful.

Best regards

#7 ·
Hi I read through your instructions on how to get to the module and the relay. But it seems my relay is working I can hear it click when I mash the window/lock/unlock button. But the window will not roll down or lock the lock, although it will un-lock the lock.

I am pretty sure the window is OK motor/regulator, because it worked one time coming home from Vegas while I was playing with the lock. Rolled down (then up) great but has not worked since.

I know this will take me taking things apart and trouble shooting the problem, but any insight would be helpful.

Best regards
First, welcome to the forum. You should take the time to introduce yourself. People are friendly here. Second, you need to include the year of your vehicle in your profile. There are different things concerning the different years of the "C5".

As for your issue, have you tried the "whack" repair as described in my instructions above?

Welcome to DC. :buhbye:

#9 ·
I don't think you whacked it good enough and that's going by what you've posted as a description of your problem. I say give it a couple more good whacks. You need to make sure that someone is pressing the window down button while you're whacking or you're just wasting your time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.