Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

My '69 off to get new paint.

14K views 65 replies 16 participants last post by  Marks76ray 
#1 ·
Well....I dropped my car off for fresh paint.
I have driven my car almost daily for the last 5 years with a paint job that I was ashamed of due to the poor body work and uneven paint application. This was an unsatisfactory job done by someone that was recommended on the "Other" forum. So I lived with it as long as I could but now it is time for something better.
I will be leaving it with the painter for the Winter and will be picking it up in April when I get back from FL.
I'm leaning heavily towards black to show off the chrome. It has chrome sidepipes and luggage rack along with the bumpers,naturally. It is a convertible with black interior and top.
I will be receiving progress pics from the painter while I'm out of town and will be sure to post them here.
I hate to admit it but when I dropped it off I started to go through "Separation Anxiety"!!! Partly due to the fact that as I said I drive it regularly when I'm home and also the fact that the last time it was away for paint I was really disappointed when I got it back.
I did the entire restoration myself 5 years ago(Except for the body and paint) and it's amazing how attached you can get to a machine that you brought back to life bolt by bolt!
I expect a quality job this time and after talking to some prior customers I feel confident.
It's still gonna' be a long 3 months!!!
As I said as I receive progress pics I will post then here for your viewing pleasure...

See less See more
#5 ·
One think I know was done correct was the stripping of the old paint 'cuz I did that myself!!! Razor blade method and some light sanding.
The painter that has it now though says that all the seams where the body panels meet will have to be redone. Not surprised.
Also the front clip will have to come off. It is separating in places. I don't know if it was removed during the first go round. I was told it was but I can't be sure.
The gaps weren't really terrible when I picked the car up the first time but within a matter of months parts started moving to the point where the hood was rubbing along the edge of the fender on the passenger side and the front edge of the doors were rubbing on the fenders when I would open them. I know these cars are not as stable as steel body cars but I would like to think they shouldn't move to the point of making contact with other body parts.
I have calmed down a bit after yesterday and am now prepared to wait patiently for a car I will be proud to drive.
And Gary...You have pretty much nailed the look I envision for my car with the exception of the red line tires. Maybe with the next set of rubber...I have always liked the Old School look. I will also be keeping the factory Rally wheels for the same reason. I don't drive it aggressively enough to warrant low profile tires. I do however drive a lot. I have approx. 30,000 miles on it since I put it on the road in 2007.
Thanks for the encouragement... As I receive pics I will post them here.
Sly.

#3 ·
Sly,

Good for you, I think it natural you might have a little anxiety over the paint job considering what happened last time. It does sound like you have done your homework and should turn out awesome.

Black is a great color for a C3, my other hot rod is black. A set of new wheels and it's a new car again. Hoo Hew!!!

Looking forward to the progress photos, see if you can get the painter to add some tips along the way to help out the DIY's on DC.

Hang in there 3 months will go by faster than you think.

#4 ·
33 years ago my buddy had a black on bright blue 68 vert. I never liked that combo but the black was sharp, rally wheels, hooker side pipes, about 375hp, M20 with 456's. Car screamed, he went over it and had it painted black again, then put in a new B/Blue interior. I thought it would have looked great with a black leather interior and black vinyl HT with redlines! It looked good though, right up until he sold it and the new kid owner hit a pole with it 3 weeks later! Parted out after that!

#10 ·
I Sure hope so...along with the letters!

Seems like things are going as planned... first thing was to check the overall condition of the glass even though it was stripped and sealed prior to the first paint job. I think they will find that the bonding strips will all have to be re-done.
One step at a time,I guess.
Also,If you look at the drivers side rear quarter you can see a repair that,when I received the car after the first paint job, looked like a dent!
I am cautiously optimistic at this point. Still a bit "Gun Shy" from my first experience,I guess.
having it painted black should give them some incentive to get the body "Just right"!
Thanks to ALL for your interest and encouragement.
Mark

#11 ·
Sly, with all that work you're having done now, are you sure you want to retain that laugage rack? I think the car in black would look much smoother with out it, now would be the time to fill the holes for it if you was to decide not to use the laugage rack.
Black is a nice choice, a nice set of after market wheels would look fantastic with the side pipes and slick black paint.

Riggs.

#12 ·
I actually use the rack!!!
That and the fact that I like contrast and I think the chrome and the black will give it some "Bling" as the youngsters say.
If it were not for the chrome on the car(bumpers,sidepipes,license plate frame and rack)I might have chosen a different color. Black will not be the easiest to maintain,especially with the amount of miles I put on the car every season,but I think it will look good when all is said and done.
I am considering some new wheels but that will be down the road when new rubber is needed. At that time I will probably go with a larger diameter tire and wheel. I bought the rubber that is on the car now 2 years ago...I think...but with about 18,000 spirited miles on them,I'm thinkin' another season and they will be done!
Thank you for your input,though. All comments are always welcome.

#14 ·
Well.....I'm still debating the luggage rack issue now that my better half has weighed in..... Anybody else have any feelings on the matter. I use the rack for my golf clubs and I could just as easily transport them in the pass. seat.
In the mean time....More pics!

Looks like it's coming along....
I was also asked if I would like a bit of blue pearl in the black paint and I told the painter that it would be O.K but I don't want it to detract from the glossy black. A little is good,too much can be gaudy.

Thanks for lookin'!

#17 ·
Blue Pearl in the paint? I think that would look cool and I believe most people would like it too. There is a down side to what painters call 'cocktail' paint. If repairs are ever needed, it can be next to impossible to match the paint.

If you decide to go this route make sure you ask the painter for the exact (measured) mix of paint and pearl. If the painter measures ratios of black to blue pearl then you might be able to come pretty close. Get color codes and brands off the paint cans and keep them and the ratios in a safe place.

If the painter does it by eye, mixes until it looks right. The possibilities for matching color later on go out the window.

Just an old mans $.02

#18 ·
Yeah,matching the paint has crossed my mind. I was thinking that maybe he could put any extra on the side and I could use that for small repairs. I don't know if that is possible though seeing that I would use it for paint chips and such and I don't know if that will work due to the 2 stage paint. I'm not really up to date as far as the 2 stage paints go....The last few cars I painted were lacquer and I also did my '79 Cadillac and that was a shiny base coat with clear on top for durability.
I will be sure to have him take accurate notes on the ratio of black to pearl for any future repairs.
Thanks for the tip!
I also decided to leave the luggage rack off for now and see how I like it. If I remember correctly the rack is fastened with well nuts,the same as the side view mirrors. That being the case I can always install it later if I want.
Thanks again for your input.

#25 ·
Welcome John.... Thanks for coming aboard. Makes it a lot easier for me to display your work.
For the rest of you...John has a great passion for these cars as we all do. Not only does he work on them but is an owner also.
And also...John... These guys REALLY like pics!!!:laughing:

#31 ·
I am I love a slick black C3 or any vette and was really looking to see progress. But it was only you posting what I was thinking. :laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.