Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

C7 engine to have VVT, but may not have AFM

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Longtimer 
#1 ·
Just saw this, if it is a repeat sorry.

Jordan Lee at 1:10 says Gen V will have VVT for the Corvette as well as AFM cylinder shut down. Just the way it was said I get the impression the Corvette engine will not have cylinder shut down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYSdu-Sq9qQ&feature=youtu.be

#2 ·
I agree, the way that he stated it AFM for some vehicle applications especially after saying VVT for the Corvette makes it sound as if AFM will not be in the C7. I was actually shocked to see that it may be included on the C7 Corvette due to its performance limitations. In other words the LS3 C6 would have been a faster/harder revver then the C7 with LT-1.

Also I do not see how they could have solved the issue between AFM and manual transmissions.

#4 ·
I wonder what the fuel economy of the C7 is going to be, currently the LS3 powered C6 is rated at 26MPG highway. Can the C7 pickup 4MPG on the highway is my question, and what will that mean for real world fuel economy.

#8 ·
Can't predict what the EPA city and highway cycle results will be. But many of our 6-speed C5s and C6s get real world mpg well into the 30's when we take it easy. With the C7's lighter weight, direct injection/higher compression, more torque way down low, a tall 7th gear, and better aero, I'm expecting our real world mpg will be 35ish, maybe better :surprised (especially if the manual trans LT1 has DOD/AFM)...even though the EPA cycle results may be way lower.

#10 ·
With the C7's lighter ... better aero
It will be interesting to see the Aero numbers for the C7. I'm not sure they will be very different from those of the C6. IMO, the weight, engine tech and the tranny changes will deliver potential significant MPG improvements in the real world. EPA MPG .... who can say?

I wonder if CAGS will still go 1 to 3, or will go 1 to 4 with more gears.

#9 ·
I'm still not certain it will bein manual cars. GM has never had an application in a manual the issue is the time it takes to swap modes. If they do manage it I'm gessing that the new AFM system will have to be able to swap modes even faster than the current one. The current system can basically do it within 1 cycle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.