Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

shift cable attached to steering column?

12K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  smokem2020 
#1 ·
investigating my strange shifting, I was under the car inspecting the shift cable linkage on the TH400. I noticed something strange. There is a second cable attached to the linkage that goes up to the steering column. WHY? There is NOTHING on the column that I can see/tell that would be associated to, or affect the gears. The bracket on the column, to me, is indicative of a column shifter. The cable comes down, and has a ton of slack in it, literally creating a loop. Purpose? Can it be removed?

#2 ·
I wonder if it's like my '83 El Camino. There is a small cable from the linkage to the steering column to actuate the automatic transmission gear indicator (PRNDL). Does the '75 have such an indicator in the gauge cluster? If not, and it's a heavy cable, it's probably the steering column lock mechanism.

#3 ·
I've had the column apart before to replace a bad part. The lock mechanism is activated by the key, not the cable. I screwed up the reinstall, and couldn't get the wheel UNLOCKED....lol...unfortunate knowledge. :thumbsup:

Unless there is a secondary lock mechanism that I don't know about. But there is no indicator on the dash for the shift pattern. It's only on the console.

#4 ·
I've had the column apart before to replace a bad part. The lock mechanism is activated by the key, not the cable. I screwed up the reinstall, and couldn't get the wheel UNLOCKED....lol...unfortunate knowledge. :thumbsup:

Unless there is a secondary lock mechanism that I don't know about. But there is no indicator on the dash for the shift pattern. It's only on the console.
But is it possible that when the lock is activated by the key, the cable locks the shifter so you can't get it out of park? It's been 30 years since I worked on a C3 column, but it seems like this cable was involved in the lock sytem. :huh:

#5 ·
It's probably like my 76 4 spd, I have to put it in reverse to get the key out and can't take it out of reverse without the key in the on position. So I'd guess that you can't take it out of park without the key in the on position and can't turn the key all the way off without it in park... Just a guess though.

#6 ·
Hmmm....I will give that a shot. I don't know that it works for what ever it's purpose is though...because of all the slack. It literally loops back on it's self. lol...

#11 ·
That IS an interlock cable. All it does is lock the trans in park when the key is removed. THe neutral saftey switch is in the consokle on the side of the shifter. Easy to remove and toss if you want to- just make sure the lever on teh column stays as far up as it will go or you won't be able to get the key out or go to the accessory position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.