Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

S&W 8pt. roll cage install in C5 coupe

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Dandy Don 
#1 ·
Have you installed a roll cage in a C5, if so some pointers and heads up would be appreciated. My Z06 is making 441hp at the wheels, my friends 383 is putting down 485hp to the wheels so it is time to install a roll cage to be able to run it at the tracks around here. The S&W kit is a bit generic but this is what my friend got his hands on so here we go. Welding the cage into the frame may be a bit hard because I seem to remember that the frame is aluminum so I guess that would necessitate boliting a mild steel pad to the frame then going from there.
Your input/already been there done that[/B] would be helpful.
Thanks,
Dandy

#2 ·
I fabbed a 6 pt out of 1-3/4 chrome moly with fixed door bars and rear x-brace. I intend to make it a full cage and redo the side bars as double bars.

I highly (and I mean highly) recommend that you go custom fabrication from a race shop if you want a full cage. Expect to pay $2000-4000. The issue is that on a C5 that 1-3/4" tube running directly next to the left side of your head (above the window that connects from hoop to rear hoop) will damn near kill you if you are hit on the left even with padding unless you are wearing a helmet at the time.

Go out to your car and sit in the driver seat, and take a look and you'll see how close it is already to your head... without the bar.

Anything but a cage custom made inside your car will put the top "above-window" bar even closer to your skull. The gaps will be way less with custom.

Go custom on this safety device, cheap is never right... right is never cheap.

Cages are cool, and look mean, but they can also increase the likelyhood of head injury if not done correctly (if not perfectly).:thumbsup:

Most of my gaps are less than an 1/16th" to 1/8" from the vehicle interior.

I'll try to take some better pictures, I noticed there are none in my gallery.

#3 ·
The S&W units are great to start with but they're not really for the novice as you'll be cutting notching and welding quite a bit. Yeah, you're gonna make sure to steer clear of your head space like patrick said also cause accidents do happen and you'd be screwed if you split your head on the cage.

#4 ·
Thanks guys for the info. I put a 6pt in my son's chevelle but had tons of room to work with. I did walk out and look at the main hoop with reference to location and I see what you are talking about! Patrick, I would really appreciate your pictures if you get a chance.
Warning's heeded!
Thanks
Dandy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.