Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Rack Replacement, Any Thoughts???

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  The Dude 
#1 ·
Any hints, tips or tricks before I start replacing my rack and pinion? Looks pretty straight forward, like it may be one of the easier jobs on these cars.

#2 ·
its not too hard. Get it up as high as you can on jack stands. I would recommend removing the front sway bar ( makes removal much easier for the little work it takes to remove ) . IIRC it comes out the passenger side much easier than the drivers side, i.e slide it toward the passenger side first to get the driverside tie rod to clear the inside of the frame. And be careful not to tear the bellows on the new rack or you will be fixing that too. Take your time and think things through. At first it will seem like it wont come out, expecially with the sway bar in place. The two bolts on the passenger side strap do have nuts behind them so you will probably have to dig through the grime to find them. Good luck and let us all know how it goes.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.