Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

The Car GM Needs to Build for the "Younger Generation"

5K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  XQIZT 
#1 ·
I'm going to sway a little off topic of the C7, but not really.

We've heard it before, the C7 styling direction is to encourage a younger buyer demographic. I've said it a thousand times, this isn't the problem, otherwise I'd have a Corvette in my driveway right now.

The younger demographic (18-30ish group) has always liked the Corvette. All of my friends love the Corvette. The issue is, they can't AFFORD one.

Camaro you say? Everyone wants a V8 Camaro and those START at $34,000ish. Still to expensive, heavy, sloppy, and a sterotypical mulletmobile. Tires are expensive, modifications are readily available but also relatively expensive.

I present you you the Scion FRS (also badged as a Toyota TR-86, and Subaru BRZ)

Manual Trans, RWD, Light (2,800 lbs), quick, great handling, and great MPG (30ish)

http://www.scion.com/cars/FR-S/

With a manual trans, this car starts at $25,000ish, looks great, and sets a new benchmark for starter performance cars. Give it some time, and I believe this will be the next Mazda MX5 (Miata) of this generation. It uses PRIUS tires (Less than $400 for a full set). One of the best handling cars ever made from everything I've heard and seen.

And for the price of the car plus some extra cash you can build a trackday monster for less than $50,000 (The starting price of a Corvette)

And for the love of God, please make it look better then this POS.

See less See more
2 3
#2 ·
But how would it look with corporate Camaro tail lights on it?

I honestly don't believe GM has the creativeness in it's management and design team to figure out your obvious suggestion nor to build such a car. GM has ALWAYS built what they want, not what the customer wants.

#7 ·
BINGO . . . the answer to the Daily Double!

GM floods the market with poorly designed and built vehicles year-after-year. In addition, the parts supply-chain produces inferior material for an inferior product. If Cadillac can turn itself around, why can't the Chevrolet brand do the same :huh:

#3 ·
You are right, younger guys cannot afford a new Vette, older guys with real money buy SL's, Porsches, Aston Martins, etc.; the older guys that buy Corvettes have some money due to aging, not enough for the aforesaid cars, and want to recapture their youth. If the C7 is going after the youth market it is in for a nasty surprise. :spanked:

#6 ·
You are right, younger guys cannot afford a new Vette, older guys with real money buy SL's, Porsches, Aston Martins, etc.; the older guys that buy Corvettes have some money due to aging, not enough for the aforesaid cars, and want to recapture their youth. If the C7 is going after the youth market it is in for a nasty surprise. :spanked:
Damn, we were hoping you hadn't noticed. :laughing:

#4 ·
GM needs something like a Kappa+ car. I think we might get something more like that in the next generation Camaro. It might not be the Camaro itself but I'll be we see something of an alpha based coupe in that target range. I think GM could afford to move Camaro down in price if they introduce a premium car along simular lines as a Buick (wildcat here we come!).

#5 ·
GM needs something like a Kappa+ car.
Even the Solstice/Sky were $30K+ cars, and honestly, weren't that good. I drove a Solstice. Rear visibility is literally zero because your head is lower than the rear end of the car. Quality was bad.....oh man, talk about plastic interiors....wow.

#11 ·
That aside what is the red Chevy at the bottom? I've not seen that before. I think it's great!
:lookinup: You think it's great? :thud:

It's the Chevrolet Code Red Concept. One of 2 "Youth Concepts" shown last year made to inspire "Youth appeal"

Code 130R "Code Red"

And Wow, look at the taillights! HAHAHAHAHA! :rolling:

#12 ·
the other "Youth Concept" was the Tru 140S. IMO much better then the other. i actually wouldn't be embarrassed to drive this.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/5587.html

Hey there's those Camaro taillights again!

#14 ·
the other "Youth Concept" was the Tru 140S. IMO much better then the other. i actually wouldn't be embarrassed to drive this.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/5587.html

Hey there's those Camaro taillights again!
I like this one too. But would it sway young buyers from their Civic SI or Golf GTI? Chevy needs something in that market but they really need to stop half assing it!

#16 ·
GM is so damn stupid, so it's not surprising to me that they can't come up with good ideas or designs. Hell, look at their entire lineup. The cars that have any personality can be counted on one hand, all the rest are cookie cutter boringly designed vehicles.

Corvette, Camaro, CTS. Seriously, i think that's about it.

They managed to screw up the final design of the Volt (which I thought looked really good as a concept), so the production Volt has no personality any more. GM is stupid, no wonder they went bankrupt.

#18 ·
They managed to screw up the final design of the Volt (which I thought looked really good as a concept), so the production Volt has no personality any more. GM is stupid, no wonder they went bankrupt.
I don't know, I thought the early Volt concept was kind of fugly (in fact, it looked somewhat similar to that red monstrosity that Chris posted in his original comment). I'll grant you that the production Volt doesn't look nearly as sporty as the concept, but then again, it isn't a sports car. I think the styling is perfectly appropriate for what it is: an admittedly overpriced, mid-level eco sedan. Styling wise, it's worlds ahead of the bug-eyed Prius.

As for the "youth" concepts that this thread is about, I think that the red 130R is hideous and looks like a really bad kit car built on top of a 3rd-gen RX-7 (link here). The 140S on the other hand, I think GM hit it out of the park. I think it looks great for an entry-level sedan, and is leaps and bounds ahead of the Civic or Focus or Dart in terms of styling.

#26 ·
The advertised performance of the Subaru/Scion is reasonable, but the two I have driven did not impress me. The acceleration was on par with a 2nd gen MX-5, despite a 60 horsepower advantage. Body roll was more than expected, despite a somewhat harsh ride. The interior is purposeful, which was pleasant for a change. Hard sell for someone who can buy a used C6 for the same money. (Yes, I realize new versus used isn't always a fair comparison)

Oh, and did I mention that one of them caught fire?

:surprised

#27 ·
I'd put a 140S in my garage as a daily. :thumbsup:

#28 ·
I realize peformance isn't as exciting to today's youth as it has always been to me. Everything is about efficiency. The 140S is a great design. But I would never get excited about the Ecotec I4 with 150 hp. Give that car a V6 with 250-300 hp and you would have a car I could get excited about. Of course, that would mean a more expensive drive train, suspension and brakes, so the price would probably be well north of $30k. Oh, well. :lookinup:

#31 ·
Tex...yea...its not a substitute for a 'Vette. But it gets people in the door and if they have a good ownership experience, they'll take the next step (like Longtimer is talking about). Brand Loyalty is huge. I've owned 4 Chevy's and one Ford. I just LIKE Chevy.

Plus, not everyone wants/needs a performance car, and its just ridiculous that if kids/younger adults want something stylish, cool, affordable and reasonably efficient, they have to pass by the Chevy dealership, since the Sonic and Cruze are really the only option.

I saw a BRZ in our parking lot for the first time the other day, and it made me look twice. Pretty sharp...The Aveo never did that for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.